JB enjoying retirement | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB enjoying retirement

Not excited about this. And I doubt anyone outside of Syracuse is excited about this.
I've lived in a few different places, and among the sports fans that are really in to NCAAB, Boeheim is a source of intrigue and amusement. People on the outside of CNY and/or without any connections of the program probably find those antics more amusing than we do, actually.

I've lived in a few different places, and among the sports fans that are really in to NCAAB, Boeheim is a source of intrigue and amusement. People on the outside of CNY and/or without any connections of the program probably find those antics more amusing than we do, actually.
The people where I live are mixed. Some like him. Some think he's a jerk. I don't know if that's really any different that any other public figure though.

This hasn't been my experience. I live in Kansas City which is an epicenter of Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri alums as well as a chunk of Iowa Staters. To those fans, he's an East Coast Bobby Knight with two fewer rings - a miserable curmudgeon who hung around way too long but was given airtime despite his personal and professional shortcomings because he gave memorable soundbites and was part of the old Big East that the national outlets continue to canonize.

I'm not saying your experience didn't happen or that ESPN should only cater to hardcore NCAAB fans, just that there are lots of dedicated college hoops fans who hate this move.

Last edited:
This hasn't been my experience. I live in Kansas City which is an epicenter of Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri alums as well as a chunk of Iowa Staters. To these fans, he's an East Coast Bobby Knight with two fewer rings - a miserable curmudgeon who hung around way too long but was given airtime despite his personal and professional shortcomings because he gave memorable soundbites and was part of the old Big East that the national outlets continue to canonize.

I'm not saying your experience didn't happen or that ESPN should only cater to hardcore NCAAB fans, just that there are lots of dedicated college hoops fans who hate this move.
They still mad about SU winning the Big 12 in 2003 as well.

This hasn't been my experience. I live in Kansas City which is an epicenter of Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri alums as well as a chunk of Iowa Staters. To those fans, he's an East Coast Bobby Knight with two fewer rings - a miserable curmudgeon who hung around way too long but was given airtime despite his personal and professional shortcomings because he gave memorable soundbites and was part of the old Big East that the national outlets continue to canonize.

Sounds like you might just live in an area that's still salty over 2003. JB will get eyeballs, and that's the entire point.

Sounds like you might just live in an area that's still salty over 2003. JB will get eyeballs, and that's the entire point.
I never said he won't get eyeballs; The discussion was about whether people are excited about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if he won some new people over. He'll be much less curmudgeonly when he's part of the media and not sparring with them after a loss or during a challenging season.

I can see this. We have to remember to think outside of our cny bubble and take off our orange colored glasses sometimes. They probably also consider him a cheater due to 2 NCAA penalties. I have mixed feelings on those.
I remind folks on here, opposing fanbases view coaches differently compared to viewing your teams coach. Every coach is a scumbag until he's your coach sort of thing and then he's great.

It wouldn't surprise me if he won some new people over. He'll be much less curmudgeonly when he's part of the media and not sparring with them after a loss or during a challenging season.
Let's hope so because he wasn't very charismatic in some of those post game press conferences (usually after a loss).
My point is he's quite a contrast for what you usually look for in tv talent when compared to say a Steve Lavin, whos made for tv w the slick hair and time in la and Nyc

Let's hope so because he wasn't very charismatic in some of those post game press conferences (usually after a loss).
My point is he's quite a contrast for what you usually look for in tv talent when compared to say a Steve Lavin, whos made for tv w the slick hair and time in la and Nyc
But a guy like Raftery doesn't fit that Lavin profile and neither does Dickie V. I think there are a lot of styles of personalities that can work and the way a guy looks probably doesn't matter that much.

Interesting. I live in Overland Park and don't have that experience at all. I get some teasing about him, but not hatred.

He'll be great in this role. We're not getting the after game press conference JB. We're getting the JB from PTI with Wilbon and Tony.

But a guy like Raftery doesn't fit that Lavin profile and neither does Dickie V. I think there are a lot of styles of personalities that can work and the way a guy looks probably doesn't matter that much.
I see your point but they didn't wait until they turned 80 to start this gig

I see your point but they didn't wait until they turned 80 to start this gig
I don't see how that really matters. He's not some old demented guy speaking jibberish. If he had done it 10 years ago he would have been the same person he is now. He'll just end up doing it for a few years instead of decades like Raftery and Vitale.

I think this announcing gig can really help change the national perception of JB being a whiner and mostly miserable. Most of America has no idea how much JB knows about basketball and how he can talk about so many different players and teams.

The fact that K State, Missouri and Iowa State fans don’t respect JB is the height of insanity. Before the recent downturn, Syracuse basketball was at the forefront of college basketball during Boeheim’s tenure for 40+ years. He won a national title, won numerous Big East titles, went to six Final Fours, 20+ Sweet Sixteens, made the tourney nearly every year, and had the program regularly among the top 25. None of those schools, save Kansas, can even come close to that. Give me a break. They wish they could have had half as much success as Syracuse had over 4 decades. JB should be respected by those fan bases, despite his personality quirks. Besides, Bobby Knight is on a whole different level of jerkdom from JB.

Last edited:
I think JB will be great, not good at this. I don't agree with the thought that JB is good natured however. He is a complex guy who can be quite mean at times.
Most of those times are when he is in the middle of working in a hypercompetitive stressful environment as head coach of a D1 team with a massive fanbase struggling to stay afloat. All our memories of him being "quite mean" are in the middle of that. He isn't to act like he does during a press conference after a 20 point loss. I assume we see a relatively zen version of JB now.

The fact that K State, Missouri and Iowa State fans don’t respect JB is the height of insanity. Before the recent downturn, Syracuse basketball was at the forefront of college basketball during Boeheim’s tenure for 40+ years. He won a national title, won numerous Big East titles, went to six Final Fours, 20+ Sweet Sixteens, made the tourney nearly every year, and had the program regularly among the top 25. None of those schools, save Kansas, can even come close to that. Give me a break. They wish they could have had half as much success as Syracuse had over 4 decades. JB should be respected by those fan bases, despite his personality quirks. Bobby Knight is on a whole different level of jerkdom from JB.
I have reasons to believe there’s a lot of dumb people in those states.

I have reasons to believe there’s a lot of dumb people in those states.
Martin Scorsese Movie GIF

Interesting. I live in Overland Park and don't have that experience at all. I get some teasing about him, but not hatred.

He'll be great in this role. We're not getting the after game press conference JB. We're getting the JB from PTI with Wilbon and Tony.
I live in STL and most I have encountered think was a good coach and associate him with the zone more than anything else. Friends definitely would razz me about his quirkiness but that’s about it. A few fan favorites were getting kicked out against Duke, wet spot on his pants”in an embarrassing area” etc.

I also think he will be great on tv, more so in a studio role IMHO

I live in STL and most I have encountered think was a good coach and associate him with the zone more than anything else. Friends definitely would razz me about his quirkiness but that’s about it. A few fan favorites were getting kicked out against Duke, wet spot on his pants”in an embarrassing area” etc.

I also think he will be great on tv, more so in a studio role IMHO

‘13 final four in Atlanta, I went to go throw my paper towel out after washing my hands in the bathroom and the Michigan fans in between me and the garbage pretended to play defense on me and said “try to get through our zone!!!”

So yeah, his image as a coach definitely seems to be married to the zone to many fans.

There’s gotta still be an older crowd who remembers the Big East in the 80s that would associate him with beautiful fast break offense too, though. And to me, those supposed “roll out the ball” teams will always be his signature, because some people have no idea how much it takes to get your team looking like you just “roll out the balls”. Gotta be some control freak pretending to call out every single play to impress some of these amateurs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom