JB on Silent G | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Silent G

He wasn't good enough for Duke, so what made people think he would be good enough here?

Just don't understand how any of that is appropriate to tell the media. You don't really even see professional sport coaches talking about their athletes like that. Granted, he's not exactly talking down about Mike, but wow that must be discouraging for a student athlete.

Unless JB envisions MG as the leader on and off the court for this team, I don't agree with it.
its tough love.

He wasn't good enough for Duke, so what made people think he would be good enough here?

That's a rather arbitrary statement. If he "wasn't good enough for Duke," why did Coach K recruit him and give him a scholarship?

And I was chastised by board saying silent G was good enough to be a regular. You think being a Duke guy he would be a heady player. It is crystal clear to me why he transferred, he would never play at Duke. With that said I think he is a great sub who can give energy and depth for 10 minutes per game. Really hope I'm wrong about him.

OmahaCuse said:
And I was chastised by board saying silent G was good enough to be a regular. You think being a Duke guy he would be a heady player. It is crystal clear to me why he transferred, he would never play at Duke. With that said I think he is a great sub who can give energy and depth for 10 minutes per game. Really hope I'm wrong about him.

Don't be misled by his Duke connection, trust me.

That's a rather arbitrary statement. If he "wasn't good enough for Duke," why did Coach K recruit him and give him a scholarship?
That's a dumb question. If coach K gave him a scholarship then why did he leave?

I mean he has every right to be upset with a number of players and their performances. But I just hate how he calls out these kids in pressers sometimes.

I unliked my like after reading the context of JB's comment. Gbinije needed to be called out (coached) ... for the team and for himself. This team could end up shy of 20 wins and/or NIT bound if it does not develop a chemistry. A record of 9-4; 9-9; 0-1; 1-1 is not unthinkable at this juncture. Our depth does not support outliers and Mike needs to get his head into the game.

I mean he has every right to be upset with a number of players and their performances. But I just hate how he calls out these kids in pressers sometimes.

I unliked my like after reading the context of JB's comment. Gbinije needed to be called out (coached) ... for the team and for himself. This team could end up shy of 20 wins and/or NIT bound if it does not develop a chemistry. A record of 9-4; 9-9; 0-1; 1-1 is not unthinkable at this juncture. Our depth does not support outliers and Mike needs to get his head into the game.

He doesn't do it often. Lots of coaches do it. I am sure it took quite a bit of poor play from Mike to make Boeheim do it and chances are Mike can take it and may need it. Boeheim isn't stupid. Not with these types of scenarios, at least.

Is it really that difficult of a question to come up with an answer for?

He was recruited to be a back-up point guard for Ennis, a 6'7" point guard in the image of MCW perhaps, with a year to learn the new position.

yeah cuz transfers always transfer cuz they weren't good enough for their original school

He was good enough to get a scholarship to Duke is the other way to think about it. I think Silent G has been terrific this year. I am glad we have him!

He was good enough to get a scholarship to Duke is the other way to think about it. I think Silent G has been terrific this year. I am glad we have him!

I'm glad we have him also but I strongly disagree that he has been terrific so far this year. We need more consistency and shooting efficiency from him than he has shown in the Loyola or Iowa game.

Agreed. Glad to have him but he has been far from terrific. It just looks like he generally has had some trouble making the jump to big time college basketball considering that he was a high profile recruit who athletically looked pretty superior to his peers against good competition.

Last edited:
Just don't understand how any of that is appropriate to tell the media. You don't really even see professional sport coaches talking about their athletes like that.
Really? Either you're not seeing many interviews/pcs or you're just selectively listening. It happens all the time. I'm not criticizing or defending the practice, just stating that JB has plenty of company in the coaching ranks doing the same thing.

I'm glad we have him also but I strongly disagree that he has been terrific so far this year. We need more consistency and shooting efficiency from him than he has shown in the Loyola or Iowa game.

Maybe terrific is the wrong word choice. I am thinking more like he looks like he should be out there playing than some of the other players.

did we ever find out why G had to sit out the opener? is there some kind of injury, or anything external lingering over his head?
He has been a different player since then, like night and day different. There is obviously more to that story, and he needs to get refocused to let his play do the talking that the issue is over and done with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom