JB's Presser after Pitt | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Pitt

Defense was insane. Offense was not good. I think 11-12 wins 8 times out of 10. Then again some of the players were on both teams, so who the hell knows!

Vegas would have 2012 as a 1.5 point favorite.;)

I don't agree. In the past he has said you are judged on final 4's and championships and it's not fair but that is how it is. He has never said good regular seasons matter even if you don't do well in the tourney. At least not that I'm aware of.
That's my point. Previously JB took the position that it is unfair to only use FF appearances as the standard. Now that he has 5 FF he uses the standard himself.

Fair enough. Completely disagree when he says last year was one of the best 5 years he's had.

2011-2012 regular season plus elite 8 was incredible. Yeah, it wasn't a final 4 (it would have been imo full roster), but personally that year was more impressive than last year's regular season plus the crazy (yes miracle) run last year.

Outside of our NC the 2011-2012 season was my favorite.

I enjoyed the ranking, the steamrolling of opponents, the #1 seed and everyone watching us in envy.

Yes, I would take that season over last year, without question.

First of all that's not what he said. He said it was the fifth best season

Secondly, why don't you listen to it yourself?

I did, and I was correct. He said, "To me it's the best year we've ever had...(pause, then "corrects himself", almost apologetically, to avoid judgment) except for the championship".

EDIT:REDACTED. I'm not thinking my post or much of my work this day was rooted anywhere close to the Tao, and sadly the only people to see this won't notice that I tried to do the right thing.

Last edited:
That's my point. Previously JB took the position that it is unfair to only use FF appearances as the standard. Now that he has 5 FF he uses the standard himself.

In this case the conversation was about how to guage the success of a single season? What is it that makes one season better than another.

If you are measuring the multi-year success of a program, you might not use or depend so heavily in FF appearances.

People on here seem to be having a lot of trouble understanding what was exactly said. Instead they are trotting out old arguments for what they wish had been said.

I think this year's team may potentially be the best offensive team we've had since 2003. The defense is getting better at least as indicated by the last 2 games. If they keep winning then we will be thinking differently.

For as awful as this team's record is thus far, they have had a very impressive number of games where they've shot at least 50% from the field, including a few that were in the upper 50s. Now that the defense seems to be clicking, this team is starting to make more sense.

In this case the conversation was about how to guage the success of a single season? What is it that makes one season better than another.

If you are measuring the multi-year success of a program, you might not use or depend so heavily in FF appearances.

People on here seem to be having a lot of trouble understanding what was exactly said. Instead they are trotting out old arguments for what they wish had been said.
I know what he said. The fact is JB never agreed with the idea that the only thing that matters is FF appearances when he only had 3 in 36 years.

Last edited:
I think this year's team may potentially be the best offensive team we've had since 2003. The defense is getting better at least as indicated by the last 2 games. If they keep winning then we will be thinking differently.

If we had a couple of capable guys on the bench I'd agree.

We have a lot of talent out there with our 5 guys, TT has potential, but outside of those 6 we have nothing.

I did, and I was correct. He said, "To me it's the best year we've ever had...(pause, then "corrects himself", almost apologetically, to avoid judgment) except for the championship".

Yup, that's what Boeheim said. It wasn't just top 5, it was the second best year.

If we had a couple of capable guys on the bench I'd agree.

We have a lot of talent out there with our 5 guys, TT has potential, but outside of those 6 we have nothing.

I wonder how NYCSUgrad's point about Moyer might have factored into the equation. Do you think he would have potentially offered anything?

Yup, that's what Boeheim said. It wasn't just top 5, it was the second best year.

Indeed. That annotation I made in the middle of the quote where he paused, I think it was because he might have felt more pride with the job he did last year than any other year, including the championship, due to what he was working with. It wasn't like he had Carmello or Coleman out there.

Here's the video fast forwarded to that part, with Boeheim in all his glory!

Last edited:

He did say that, though definitely did not say that it was his second best team. Seems like a silly statement on its face, but I think he meant that it was extra satisfying considering the regular-season struggles.

I wonder how NYCSUgrad's point about Moyer might have factored into the equation. Do you think he would have potentially offered anything?

Not at all. He doesn't have a spot to play. At this point he's a 4 and that's about it. He's not playing ahead of anybody that can play there.

He did say that, though definitely did not say that it was his second best team. Seems like a silly statement on its face, but I think he meant that it was extra satisfying considering the regular-season struggles.

Now we're getting into sem-antics(does that mean you are an anti-sem-ite?!?! NYCSUgrad , is he sexist?!) and you're judging what he meant versus what he said, no? I put the video fast forwarded to the correct spot in the post right above yours, if folks wish to dissect JB's brain. I'm not a (licensed, by this government which I dont recognize anyhow) psychologist, so I am not legally qualified to say what he meant. ;) Are you the Chuck the bar where the players' (not-sem)antics occur is named after?

Last edited:

Yes, second best year not team. Last year's squad wouldn't be in the top 10 teams talentwise in the Boeheim era but what they accomplished after losing to Pitt in the ACCT is arguably the second best year.

I know what he said. The fact is JB never agreed with the idea that the only thing that matters is FF appearances when he only had 3 in 36 years.

When Townie gets a good question thrown his way he won't respond.

Great point, great question. You've silenced him.

I did too. I want recognition, dammit. You didnt do your system to give me bets to make today!!(part of the reason I came back to this!!) :mad: Townie has riled me up in this thread!!

Don't let him bother you Captian, after he posts off his list of canned replies he usually runs away for a couple of days, my guess compiling a new list which is generated by JBs book, interviews and press conferences.

I do like townie though, he's consistent and he actually does have quite a bit of knowledge.

I've said before that I feel there are several things that make a season special here: A conference regular season or tournament championship, a #1 ranking, 30 wins, a trip to the Final Four. A national championship is an historical season. I described this standard to JB on his show and he essentially agreed. His point on that occasion was that it's the Final Four that people really remember. His point today was that a mediocre regular season, (by our standards) doesn't detract from a Final Four run. I would add that a disappointing post season doesn't negate a great regular season or a conference tourney title. The good things define a season and the bad things do not erase them .

Bud's other problem was that he was looking at the last four seasons as if they were one event- an event that began after the 25-0 start in 2014. In modern college basketball, each team is a different team. You lose your seniors. You lose another player or to to the NBA or transfers. You create your new team out of your remaining pieces, the guys you recruit and now whoever you can pick up from the pool of grad transfers, (or other transfers you can get, including JUCOs). the 2014 team was a different team than the 2015 team. The 2015 team is different from the 2016 team which is different from the 2017 team and next year's team will be a different team as well. the difficulties we encounter in one season are not an extension of the difficulties of the previous season.

I would add that, while I have been occasionally guilty of disparaging other poster's work, (see the "Am I Awake?" post from yesterday), it's not a good idea to start calling people names. It adds nothing to the debate and only makes you look worse than the person you are trying to make look bad. if someone is wrong about something they have given you an easy way to effectively respond: just point it out. That keeps the focus on them. When you start calling them names, you only put the attention on yourself.

Last edited:
Don't let him bother you Captian, after he posts off his list of canned replies he usually runs away for a couple of days, my guess compiling a new list which is generated by JBs book, interviews and press conferences.

I do like townie though, he's consistent and he actually does have quite a bit of knowledge.
Partial redaction

Actually, I'm the one who disappears for a few weeks normally after getting too much abuse, so I wont mock him over a couple of days absence. Just not sure why he came at me like that. I didnt say anything against him...

Last edited:
I would add that, while I have been occasionally guilty of disparaging other poster's work, (see the "Am I Awake? post from yesterday), it's not a good idea to start calling people names. It adds nothing to the debate and only makes you look worse than the person you are trying to make look bad. if someone is wrong about something they have given you an easy way to effectively respond: just point it out. That keeps the focus on them. When you start calling them names, you only put the attention on yourself.

Your thoughtfullness at the end made me consider going back and editing out some of my post that let loose after he mocked me, but I realized I hadn't called him any names in return for his antics, so I left it. I hope I sprinkled enough good natured antics in to let the fanbase be ok with it. I want to keep the fans pleased.

Edit:I changed my mind. If anyone wishes to remove their thanks, I will understand.

I am not familiar with your "Am I awake" post. Is it regarding lucid dreaming? I sometimes use that technique during waking hours to hopefully induce LD, but it's been a long time, to be honest. I hope you're not suggesting we have lucid dreams where we suplex Townie, cover him for the 3 count, and do the title belt gesture(tm)? Actually it's fun to think about, but I've never done that in a regular dream that I recall, let alone a lucid one. If the fans will it, I am willing to consider it though. Townie has brought out the worst in me, on a day where the staff was actually kind to me. I'm unsure how the fans feel and could use some feedback from more of them...but suddenly they become lurkers.

Last edited:
Now we're getting into semantics and you're judging what he meant versus what he said, no? I put the video fast forwarded to the correct spot in the post right above yours, if folks wish to dissect JB's brain. I'm not a (licensed, by this government which I dont recognize anyhow) psychologist, so I am not legally qualified to say what he meant. ;) Are you the Chuck the bar where the players' antics occur is named after?

Thankfully Hungry Chuck's was around long before Fab Melo.

I enjoyed the ranking, the steamrolling of opponents, the #1 seed and everyone watching us in envy.

Wikipedia has us as 0-3 that year(with 34 wins vacated). ;)

Same here without question. A great regular season = many fun nights to get through a cold winter. Months of enjoyment beating the crap out of opponents is time you don't get back in your life. Last years FF run amounted to 1 fantastic weekend. 2 if you count Atlantis. The rest was a pretty forgettable if not miserable experience. And the other thing about Cinderella FF appearances - amazing as it is to do what nobody expected - deep down you knew we were just a sidebar story.

Last edited:
When Townie gets a good question thrown his way he won't respond.

Great point, great question. You've silenced him.
I still don't think he agrees with it he just accepts it. I don't see anything that has changed with JB. He has always said that.

I'll take Final Fours every year thank you.

College basketball is like a lot of sports, you use the regular season to qualify for the tournament/playoffs and then you go as far as you can. The NY Giants won 2 Supers recently, who cares what their regular season record was. Who even remembers.

It's important and nice to win regular season games but I'll take championship runs every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom