JJ Starling | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

I've caught portions of a few games this year. The first exhibition when Judah didn't play, Red put the ball in Starling's hands and he ran the team. Granted it was an exhibition game but I thought he played decent in that role.

Has there been any extended runs during the real games this year where Red gave JJ that same role? The other night when Judah didn't start against BC, it seemed to be Copeland with the ball in his hands a lot.
When he got the ball in his hands today, his play was to create a shot for himself and he usually failed

Is this really necessary? This kid is someone’ child. It amazes me how utterly cruel some people on this board can be commenting on players. Judah usually takes the brunt of such foolishness, and I’m actually I’m actually disgusted with any pejorative comments made on any kid. You are clearly not a Syracuse fan if you can only tear guys down. There’s a way to go about making comments, criticism or whatever without being cruel. I hope JJ and all the guys develop and play to their potential. I support them whether they win or lose.
If anyone with my genes were capable of playing at this level, I would be incredibly shocked, first of all. Pigs will fly first.

But I would steer clear of message boards. It is no good for you, we know how this goes, trust us

I think it’s a grandparent and I agree with you.
Gotta be hard as a family member to read some stuff on here.
Aren't recruits, current players (both football and basketball) and their families told to avoid this board because of the negativity? We're no different than any other fan board. We just want the best for Cuse and it's a place to vent when things go bad and celebrate when things go well. It's just fans' opinions. If you're a D1 athlete or family of one, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Aren't recruits, current players (both football and basketball) and their families told to avoid this board because of the negativity? We're no different than any other fan board. We just want the best for Cuse and it's a place to vent when things go bad and celebrate when things go well. It's just fans' opinions. If you're a D1 athlete or family of one, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I don’t what they are told, but I think if it were my son or grandson playing I might take a peak at this board every now and then.I agree it might be best not to look, but easier said then done.

3 guard lineup is what we should do. Starling turning it around is the teams best chance of being good but hes just not earning the minutes he plays. Get another guard out there and sit Taylor.

Is HCAA going to coach at some point
“I put da best team on the court”
Who is TERRIBLE.
Ridiculous post. Not happy with the blow out losses but they have lost 5 games. 3 to teams ranked top 15 or better on the road or neutral site. Loss to the zags when ranked and a loss to Virginia on the road early in the season.
There are issues with the team. The fact we are beating per teams is a big improvement from the last couple of seasons.
Has coaching been perfect? No, but the team is implementing a new D with no perimeter game. They play hard and are able to win when not playing the best in the conference. Season will have ups and downs. After the season I suspect some players to leave and new players to enter the program. People need to relax.

Here is nothing compared to social media

Let him recruit his own guys for a couple of years. If any expected him to repeat JAB's early success they were delusional. This will take time. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the games. Yes Saturday was not fun, but most people here clamored for a change the last few years. If Red is A success we will celebrate him and those successes. We should support him and our players.

Ridiculous post. Not happy with the blow out losses but they have lost 5 games. 3 to teams ranked top 15 or better on the road or neutral site. Loss to the zags when ranked and a loss to Virginia on the road early in the season.
There are issues with the team. The fact we are beating per teams is a big improvement from the last couple of seasons.
Has coaching been perfect? No, but the team is implementing a new D with no perimeter game. They play hard and are able to win when not playing the best in the conference. Season will have ups and downs. After the season I suspect some players to leave and new players to enter the program. People need to relax.
Not ridiculous.
We’re getting blown out by 20-40 points. Beating I-AA teams don’t count.

This thread is about Starling. Who has done what to compete?
Playing hard? What games are you watching on your VCR?

Not ridiculous.
We’re getting blown out by 20-40 points. Beating I-AA teams don’t count.

This thread is about Starling. Who has done what to compete?
Playing hard? What games are you watching on your VCR?
Your 1AA comment just confirms how ridiculous your post are. If you do not think the team has played hard in games this year then you have not be paying attention.

I’m not sure how we can win with a SG who not only can’t shoot, but is below average in pretty much everything else. We’ve had inconsistent jump shooters at the two before, but they played elite defense, could pass, and could score efficiently in other ways. I’m not sure what JJ is good at.

Your 1AA comment just confirms how ridiculous your post are. If you do not think the team has played hard in games this year then you have not be paying attention.
Listen - I can’t argue about “hustle” - if they’re not playing hard, HCAA will pull the hook. No one looks like they’re outright loafing. Maybe it’s “playing dumb”. No l plays. Can’t shoot (although he has improved).

But…
-31 plus minus is playing hard?
Inbound turnovers?
Passes to no one?

And Chaminsde *is* a Div-II team. Sorry it’s not I-AA for precision sake, but there is no “championship series” in NCAAB like NCAAF.

I’m not sure how we can win with a SG who not only can’t shoot, but is below average in pretty much everything else. We’ve had inconsistent jump shooters at the two before, but they played elite defense, could pass, and could score efficiently in other ways. I’m not sure what JJ is good at.
Again, PER isn't the be all end all, but it's a nice summary of many stats for a quick look.

Here are all of the Syracuse players who have had a PER of less than 12 (where 15 is approximately average) and played more than 400 minutes. This is not a great list to be on (to your point, Cooney was credited with excellent defense his freshman year but he was the 2nd worst rated defender on that team, in particular - they were very good).

1705334280928.png

Again, PER isn't the be all end all, but it's a nice summary of many stats for a quick look.

Here are all of the Syracuse players who have had a PER of less than 12 (where 15 is approximately average) and played more than 400 minutes. This is not a great list to be on (to your point, Cooney was credited with excellent defense his freshman year but he was the 2nd worst rated defender on that team, in particular - they were very good).

View attachment 236520
Another reason why JT shouldn't be getting about 27 minutes every game.

I'm so tired of multiple black holes on the roster, especially getting the minutes some of them do. How can we possibly think we can compete against good teams? That said, it doesn't appear there is a very good answer, but having Bell, JT, and JJ in the starting lineup is a huge liability, unless Bell has one of those games that sometimes he's capable of.

The lineup I like most at this point is Brown, Benny (I guess), Bell (our 38% 3 pt sharp shooter), Cope, Cuffe/JJ/JT splitting minutes, and Judah (of course). I'd like to see Cuffe get more run. We've already seen what JJ and JT can do with extended minutes. I think Cuffe is going to end up being a really good player for us.

They try hard but the problem is not having enough talent to play smart. Aside from Cope to Brown it is mostly street ball. Judah might have decided that JJ and JT are hopeless, and you can't blame him for that. They are not competitive at this level. Same for McLeod. Why pass the ball to these three unless you have to?

To top it off, Bell is too one dimensional to be a starter.

We can still beat less talented teams. So what?

He’s turned his offense and shooting around to where he can be a consistent scorer since the start of conference play, but his defense is the worst on the team and it makes zero sense for his speed and quickness.

He has zero nose for getting rebounds or steals and he has a worse defensive rating than Jimmy Boeheim or Chris Bell had the past two seasons in conference play. It’s a huge problem because we are getting crushed off the dribble the past few games. It looks like he’s afraid of contact and afraid of the ball out there.

He’s turned his offense and shooting around to where he can be a consistent scorer since the start of conference play, but his defense is the worst on the team and it makes zero sense for his speed and quickness.

He has zero nose for getting rebounds or steals and he has a worse defensive rating than Jimmy Boeheim or Chris Bell had the past two seasons in conference play. It’s a huge problem because we are getting crushed off the dribble the past few games. It looks like he’s afraid of contact and afraid of the ball out there.
I don't have the best eye for some of this stuff as others do. But when you and others started mentioning this about JJ's defense, I've started to focus on him more the last few games. It really is pretty bad. He pretty much just runs over to his guy and throws his hand up half-heartedly as they are about to shoot.

But agree, I do like that his offense has gotten better at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom