JJ Starling | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

Chris Bell gets crushed on here and JJ has a considerably lower PER. I acknowledge his play has improved, but outside of scoring JJ doesn’t bring the team much else yet. He needs to commit himself at the defensive end in the offseason.

Last edited:
I think some of that is JJ vs Bell’s demeanor, fair or not.
I also think over the course of the year, opposing teams have tried to isolate Bell more than JJ. I want them both back. Kids do improve. I also want Judah and Brown (of course) and Copeland back. Anyone else can leave if they want. I know Hima is gone.

I also think over the course of the year, opposing teams have tried to isolate Bell more than JJ. I want them both back. Kids do improve. I also want Judah and Brown (of course) and Copeland back. Anyone else can leave if they want. I know Hima is gone.
A month ago you wanted everyone gone.

It was interesting that on ND’s next to last possession that Red took out Cuffe, supposedly a good defender, and inserted Bell and left JJ in.

Bell rewarded w the board and two made freebies.
Cuffe is a better defender than JJ or Bell. You’d agree right? I mean…you can argue if Cuffe is actually “good” or not but I can’t believe there would be any debate in Cuffe vs Bell or JJ strictly as a defender

I said I didn't care if they left. I also said I wasn't sure we could get better players than them in the portal. You see, things change in life. I feel badly for people who never change their minds.
Dasher, I’ve changed my mind about you. LOL

A month ago you wanted everyone gone.
Haha. Best post I’ve seen in awhile. If notre dame hits another half court heave or two to complete the comeback this thread would be saying Nuke the roster and the whole staff.

Haha. Best post I’ve seen in awhile. If notre dame hits another half court heave or two to complete the comeback this thread would be saying Nuke the roster and the whole staff.
My biggest worry is that we couldn't get guys that are better than what we currently have. It's not like there is a store where you can go and get a quality pt guard. I do think guys are leaving. Maybe that is why I want them to stay now.

It was interesting that on ND’s next to last possession that Red took out Cuffe, supposedly a good defender, and inserted Bell and left JJ in.

Bell rewarded w the board and two made freebies.
Oh. Was listening from the car and I thought Park said Red tried to sub Cuffe into the game at that point for Bell to come out, but the official disallowed the substitution and so Bell stayed in like you said.

Oh. Was listening from the car and I thought Park said Red tried to sub Cuffe into the game at that point for Bell to come out, but the official disallowed the substitution and so Bell stayed in like you said.
That is correct. Cuffe was already on the court and the ref made him go back to the bench because he supposedly didn't stop at the scorer's table.

My biggest worry is that we couldn't get guys that are better than what we currently have. It's not like there is a store where you can go and get a quality pt guard. I do think guys are leaving. Maybe that is why I want them to stay now.
I don't know. Last few tournaments have shown there are good players in the portal. Some none of us know. I think we could get guys. Personally a zip quick guard with handle would be nice. A three who can score and board too.

I don't know. Last few tournaments have shown there are good players in the portal. Some none of us know. I think we could get guys. Personally a zip quick guard with handle would be nice. A three who can score and board too.
Oh, there will be guys in the portal that could really help us. No question about that. Picking out who and actually getting them here is what worries me. Remember when we got E Hughes? No one other than JB was really excited about that.

Oh, there will be guys in the portal that could really help us. No question about that. Picking out who and actually getting them here is what worries me.
So you don't trust the staff evaluation? NIL set up? Both?

Agree 100%. It seems to be a common refrain that we can just upgrade talent via the portal but that's far from a given. Also, we keep saying its a young team that's going through growing pains. It may end up feeling like a wasted year if there's a lot of turnover and that "young team learning to play together" ends up being for nothing.

My biggest worry is that we couldn't get guys that are better than what we currently have.
Yeah.

We need better outside shooting.

If Bell portals for whatever reason, he's going to be one of the best shooters in the portal, and we'd need outside shooting even more desperately.

So the plan would be having to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

I don't know, seems like it's not a sure thing.

I want everyone back. Hima will probably retire.
Judah unfortunately will leave for a bag.
I want McCloud to get better as I think he is a 10 to 15 minute a game player.
McCloud
Patterson
Carey
Chance
JJ
Cope
Taylor
Bell
Brown
Moore
Freeman
Cuffe.

Somehow, even though we played zone and had a grouchy old coach, we got some pretty good guys as transfers or grad transfers. No reason we can't pick players from the bottom half of a bunch of P6 teams looking for targets. We got Andrew White from Nebraska, John Gillon from Colorado State, and Elijah Hughes from East Carolina. I think we should be looking for guys at that level - proven players at lower teams - rather than looking for bench guys from good teams.

Yeah.

We need better outside shooting.

If Bell portals for whatever reason, he's going to be one of the best shooters in the portal, and we'd need outside shooting even more desperately.

So the plan would be having to take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

I don't know, seems like it's not a sure thing.
I want to see a bulked-up Bell focused on improving his defense and rebounding. The kid has a lot of potential, and just taking a step forward in terms of maturity will be a big help for him.

I really expected more from JJ this year. His all around game was disappointing. I have little confidence in him shooting threes. He tends to miss a lot of shots at the rim too. His pull up, mid range is his best attribute. He has no left hand and his defense is poor. Offensively, he got better as the year went on and hopefully he has a great off season and becomes more consistent and well rounded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom