JMA Wireless Dome Transformation Project Continues | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless Dome Transformation Project Continues

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Construction continues at the JMA Wireless Dome on the installation of upgraded chairback seating and the introduction of new premium offerings throughout the venue. The change from bench seating to chairback seating will create a new fan experience, including a new seating map and revised capacities for football, men's and women's basketball, and men's and women's lacrosse games. The new chairbacks will add comfort and accessibility for fans and feature a larger seat width and height. The changes to the seating will result in an adjustment to the number of seats in each row and section throughout the venue. Though the effect on each section will vary, some sections may decrease by up to 200 seats.

To accommodate these new capacities and revised seating maps, each season ticket holder will select a new seat through a coordinated seating process. The reseating process will begin in late summer with suite holders for all JMA Dome events and courtside seats for both men's and women's basketball. All current season ticket holders will have priority for seat selection in 2024-25.

"Syracuse Athletics is committed to presenting timely and transparent information to ensure a smooth transition for our loyal ticket holdes throughout the reseating process," said Cuse Athletics Fund Executive Director Michael Paulus.
Skip Ad

The chairback seating that will replace the bench seating throughout the 100, 200 and 300 levels will be installed prior to the 2024 football season. Preparation work for the seating replacement is underway, including ADA improvements, with widening of aisles to 48 inches, replacement of vomitory ramps, construction of new ADA seating platforms and railing replacements. Additionally, life safety improvements include installation of new fire sprinklers, fire alarm system upgrades and the addition of a building-wide smoke evacuation system.

Elements of the JMA Wireless Dome Transformation Project anticipated for the fall of 2023 include 5G capabilities and the Kuhn Game Day Lounge presented by Hidden Level. Enhancements to the JMA Dome began in 2020 with a $118 construction project that included a new roof, lighting and air conditioning.

That makes it sound like we will be around 40k, no? Isn't the largest section under 1k?

The seating loss will be most felt for basketball season for sure.

The university should definitely promote this for a game this season. Be a part of the last ever Dome basketball crowd over 35k. Hopefully the team is good enough to justify it.

JMA and Cuse, a great combination!
IMG_5651.gif

ADA pretty directly affects me, and I've never even heard that term before.
So the 'vomitory' ramps are what one uses to go from a concourse to the seating areas.

Right now, I believe all the vomitory ramps in the dome include a couple of steps. Not cool for disabled folks.

What I think we will see is the replacement of those steps with ramps.

As shown below.

1690225342623.png

4rcr2.jpg

These drawings are taken from web sites with ADA specifications for wheelchair ramps.

I think the stairs are recessed enough so the ramps will not reach into the concourses themselves, which would be quite unfortunate.

so we go from 15000 decent seats and 20K of bad ones to 12K of decent seats and 15K of bad ones.

Why would they miss out on making the capacity 44k? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
There are a bunch of factors here.

How wide are they going to make the seats?

Do they go with cup holders that mount between the seats?

Do they go with arm rests that mount between seats?

I don't have the numbers but depending on what they do, they could drop from 49K to 45K all the way to perhaps 40K.

Every time you make a decision that requires more space, more season ticket holders for basketball will be affected and the impact becomes incrementally bigger. Do we want to move the season ticket holder over one section further from center court or two sections over? How many will be so disgusted by the change that they drop their season tickets?

I would be surprised if they reduce capacity to below 43K. It could really affect the golden goose of men's basketball season ticket revenue (and preferred seating licenses). Almost everyone is going to be affected even with the best case scenario. Can't see them making changes that drive massive downgrades for the vast majority of the season ticket holders.

It would be interesting if they decide to treat the core basketball seats differently than the ones that are really only used for football and lacrosse. That has to be something that they are considering now.

If the large sections are losing up to 200 seats, that makes it sound like we are losing around 20%. UNC reduced capacity by about 20% when they put in real seats. If we are similar it would put us at 39,250 which is a bit small. I wouldn't want to be below 40k. Also, that would make SU the 5th smallest P5 school (although rumored P10 targets San Diego State and SMU are also both smaller).

If we are looking at 5 to 7 W regular seasons every year and eventually being in a leftover conference, that 39,250 might be enough for football.

If we are only losing about an 8th of capacity, that will put us at 42,925 which I think is more ideal. SU would then be the 8th smallest P5 (although B12 target UConn would also be smaller).

Actually we can go down to 40,750 and still be 8th smallest. That would be a reduction of about a 6th of capacity. Although I do think Houston eventually expands past us even at 42,925.

For BBall we would be around 31,250 capacity with an 8th reduction, 29,750 with a 6th reduction, and 28,500 with a 5th reduction. Although the decent seats would really be about 18,750 and 17,875 and 17,125. In each case that will likely knock SU down to 4th in average attendance nationally.

I don't have the numbers but depending on what they do, they could drop from 49K to 45K all the way to perhaps 40K.

Every time you make a decision that requires more space, more season ticket holders for basketball will be affected and the impact becomes incrementally bigger. Do we want to move the season ticket holder over one section further from center court or two sections over? How many will be so disgusted by the change that they drop their season tickets?

I would be surprised if they reduce capacity to below 43K. It could really affect the golden goose of men's basketball season ticket revenue (and preferred seating licenses). Almost everyone is going to be affected even with the best case scenario. Can't see them making changes that drive massive downgrades for the vast majority of the season ticket holders.

It would be interesting if they decide to treat the core basketball seats differently than the ones that are really only used for football and lacrosse. That has to be something that they are considering now.

The person I heard it from would absolutely know. So unless other changes were made since the time I was originally told (which was months ago), then I expect the number to be right around 42k.

The person I heard it from would absolutely know. So unless other changes were made since the time I was originally told (which was months ago), then I expect the number to be right around 42k.
42K seems fine to me. Certainly for football. Create scarcity, increase demand. 50K is too big for our football fan base, and really always has been.

I imagine we’ll still have the ability to pop a 30K for hoops from time to time. But we don’t need as much consistent capacity as we have.

Why would they miss out on making the capacity 44k? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
This obsession with #44 amongst a few hundred hardcore football fans should have no influence on the critical engineering and economic decisions at play here. Figure out what the optimal reduction is and implement.

Figured I would add these updated numbers here.

AVGs vs teams we have played multiple times since 2000...

1. Notre Dame 49,015 (2 games)
2. Miami 47,503 (2 games)
3. VA Tech 43,703 (3 games)
4. Clemson 43,018 (5 games)
5. Temple 42,632 (2 games)
6. WV 41,954 (6 games)
7. NC State 41,525 (4 games)
8. FSU 39,732 (5 games)
9. Northwestern 39,040 (2 games)
10. USF 38,440 (5 games)
11. BC 38,171 (8 games)
12. Toledo 37,599 (2 games)
13. Louisville 37,542 (9 games)
14. Rutgers 37,375 (8 games)
15. UNC 37,327 (2 games)
16. UVA 37,308 (2 games)
17. Maine 36,695 (2 games)
18. Pitt 36,591 (12 games)
19. Rhode Island 36,540 (3 games)
20. Wake 36,144 (6 games)
21. UCF 35,520 (2 games)
22. Cincy 35,470 (5 games)
23. UConn 35,447 (6 games)
24. Buffalo 35,324 (3 games)
25. Colgate 34,702 (2 games)
26. Akron 34,399 (2 games)
27. Wagner 32,022 (3 games)
28. Central Michigan 30,476 (2 games)

WMU will be added to the list this year. The prior game was 40,700 so it will be interesting to see where they land.

I think it is safe to say Colgate, Western Michigan, Army (unless they bring a bunch of cadets) will be under 40k. Clemson could sell out if things break right. BC should do well given Friday night games tend to well attended, but if our record is poor things could change. I think we get over that 42k mark. Wake always seems to be poorly attended. Depending on our record, I think we likely get less than 40k. The Pitt home game...

I think that whatever they do, the decision process should be in favor of the most comfort for the fan. Don't skimp on space for an extra thousand seats, if it means cupholders vs. no cupholders. I mean, even movie theaters have cup holders now, and the seats have to be big enough for today's heftier fan.

If they spend all this money, and it's still an unpleasant experience with cramped seating and no place to put your drink, or a swing out tray (maybe) for your food, then what's the point. Make it as good as experience as you can, or else you're not going to retain fans over time.