Joe Girard is ready for the season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard is ready for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone gains weight when they bulk up. It’s impossible not to. Even pro body boulders have a cutting stage before competition to lose the fat.

Yes - fully aware. My point was and Joe talked about it was that he couldn't be out there hooping everyday. You can Bulk up, cut and do so while staying lean and not getting too big. When you remove one part of the equation, as Joe talked about it's tough. I've been there done that not to mention being a hayseed/farmboy growing up and knowing all about adding weight and bulking without doing it in a gym. He came in heavier than he planned which a CoVid off season certainly had a lot to do with.

Good weight is different depending on what you need it for.

Sometimes extra muscle weight isn’t ideal.

No this is not a “Cooney shooting mechanics” hot take.
I understand where you're coming from Mr. Cluck. You certainly embodied this as a player at SU. While your statement is literally true, the problem is that most people grossly underestimate the level of muscle mass needed for it to be a problem. We certainly haven't seen any players at SU where this was even close to being a concern.

And anyone watching could also see it wasn't a good weight add. No matter if it was bulk or not.

To a poster above's point - the S&C staff, IMO, has done very little. Here are a few examples:

Dolezaj - 180 lbs as a freshman, 201 lbs as a senior.
Sidibe - 205 lbs as a freshman, 218 lbs as a super senior.
Chukwu - 226 lbs as a sophomore, 228 lbs as a senior.

Those numbers are terrible, especially for 6-9, 6-10, and 7-2.

Meanwhile, Girard goes from 181 as a freshman (5-10, mind you) to 195. That's 14 lbs, more than all but Dolezaj gained in 3-5 years.
Genetics is a thing.
Some people just aren't going to gain weight at the same rates at the same ages. And some people will never put it on in certain areas of the body. That doesn't mean the strength isn't there.

I was super skinny all through college and for years afterward. Couldn't gain weight to save my life. Now, i need to lose a bit of belly. Legs were always skinny, and even gym work didn't do anything visibly. But, i could still leg press better than a bunch of guys who had thick tree trunks for legs.

Bodies are weird.

In advertising, we had a potential client that had a DNA test that told you which types of foods would most affect your weight. Like, for some people, eating a bunch of pizza is going to balloon them. For me, i could eat it 4x a week with no effect. Just looking at the musculature of Joe versus Sidibe, you're going to see a difference in how both diet and weights are going to work for them.

That all said, i do wish we didn't seem so overly predestined to have the proverbial beanpoles at center so often. Recruiting is the first part of the equation. How the bodies develop [or don't] after we sign them is something else.

As someone who lifts weights regularly I will say it’s virtually impossible to quickly add muscle without adding fat and impossible to quickly lose weight without losing muscle. It’s called bulking and cutting for a reason.
You can with some “help”.

That said, he didn’t gain 20lbs of muscle. That just isn’t possible without said help.

Genetics is a thing.
Some people just aren't going to gain weight at the same rates at the same ages. And some people will never put it on in certain areas of the body. That doesn't mean the strength isn't there.

I was super skinny all through college and for years afterward. Couldn't gain weight to save my life. Now, i need to lose a bit of belly. Legs were always skinny, and even gym work didn't do anything visibly. But, i could still leg press better than a bunch of guys who had thick tree trunks for legs.

Bodies are weird.

In advertising, we had a potential client that had a DNA test that told you which types of foods would most affect your weight. Like, for some people, eating a bunch of pizza is going to balloon them. For me, i could eat it 4x a week with no effect. Just looking at the musculature of Joe versus Sidibe, you're going to see a difference in how both diet and weights are going to work for them.

That all said, i do wish we didn't seem so overly predestined to have the proverbial beanpoles at center so often. Recruiting is the first part of the equation. How the bodies develop [or don't] after we sign them is something else.
I need that DNA test.

I know what it's gonna say though.

"Er'thing OiG likes to eat"

Genetics is a thing.

Bodies are weird.

I don’t disagree with much of this. But the S&C staff literally has one job - to analyze body types and maximize them. Cabiles (sic) works only with men’s basketball. He has 13 guys to focus on. He has unlimited resources comparatively to work with. These guys were a part of the program for 3-5 years and didn’t do much of anything to bulk up and be able to withstand the middle of the zone. How does this happen?

Weight or no weight (thin crust or meatlovers pizza) makese no difference to me. Girard will be 3.5 option for scoring next year (3rd to 4th). In my opinion is how much better contribution he can provide on defense. Can he recognize and rotate quickly enough on defense. Also, can he stop chucking "heat checks" when we have better scoreres near the basket? I believe his greatest improvement in the junior season must come from decision making. Primarily Defensively.

Example is Cooney, his Jr. and Sr. seasons he considerably improved as a defender. Sure, his streaky shooting drove me nuts but that is the one aspect that had me sreaming at the TV. Never had issues with the defensive effort. Girard needs to be better on the defensive end this season.

Weight or no weight (thin crust or meatlovers pizza) makese no difference to me. Girard will be 3.5 option for scoring next year (3rd to 4th). In my opinion is how much better contribution he can provide on defense. Can he recognize and rotate quickly enough on defense. Also, can he stop chucking "heat checks" when we have better scoreres near the basket? I believe his greatest improvement in the junior season must come from decision making. Primarily Defensively.

Example is Cooney, his Jr. and Sr. seasons he considerably improved as a defender. Sure, his streaky shooting drove me nuts but that is the one aspect that had me sreaming at the TV. Never had issues with the defensive effort. Girard needs to be better on the defensive end this season.
If Girard becomes half the player coon dog was im thrilled. CD and Joe both love to Chuck but CD is twice the basketball player.

He will take the second most shots after Buddy this year, I’ll bet literally every dollar I ever make in the future.

I hope not re: shots. Buddy, Benny Cole, Jimmy, Joe. Hope its goes in Alpha order in terms of shots. Dont mortgage your future on account of Joe Girard 23Z. LOL

Beggin' for a piece of that bubble

He will take the second most shots after Buddy this year, I’ll bet literally every dollar I ever make in the future.

Not sure why Joe Girard is being dissed. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. LOL

I'm expecting a great Jr. Season from him. Perhaps better inside scoring from the frontcourt will open up space for him on the offensive end and we will see really positive things. Decision making (especially on defense and timing of "heat checks") is going to be critical for his success. I'm expecting good things from him. I look at the tourney run last year. He was efficient as all the emphasis of other teams were on Buddy and our frontcourt. If we get 11pts 4 asst 2 reb from him (especially in the ACC), that would be fantastic. However the 11 should include a better shooting percentage as well.

He is a 3rd year starter on a Sweet 16 team. I'm expecting we return to NCAA's and make noise. Go SU.

Not sure why Joe Girard is being dissed. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. LOL

I'm expecting a great Jr. Season from him. Perhaps better inside scoring from the frontcourt will open up space for him on the offensive end and we will see really positive things. Decision making (especially on defense and timing of "heat checks") is going to be critical for his success. I'm expecting good things from him. I look at the tourney run last year. He was efficient as all the emphasis of other teams were on Buddy and our frontcourt. If we get 11pts 4 asst 2 reb from him (especially in the ACC), that would be fantastic. However the 11 should include a better shooting percentage as well.

He is a 3rd year starter on a Sweet 16 team. I'm expecting we return to NCAA's and make noise. Go SU.
Girard's averaged 3 rebounds a game in his career. If he drops to 2 that's actually pretty bad.

With better shooting average he takes away one of his own misses as a rebound. Better shooting leads to lower # of available rebounds. Also, expecting our frontcourt to rebound better.

Girard's averaged 3 rebounds a game in his career. If he drops to 2 that's actually pretty bad.

Who can score inside better than Quincy on the current team? You can almost take two guys on the current team and they may not add up to what Quincy did on the inside.

Who cares that Joe is a third year starter, he wasn’t even the best at his position last year, just because your name is in the starting lineup doesn’t mean anything. He may also have the worst winning percentage for any point guard who’s played more than a year in the past 30 years here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors