Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career

It's the best season we've ever had. I hate losing the way we did but this was a fun ride...
Hard to believe the refs put Hall on the bench with 3 minutes left. Could have made the difference. Real good season, congrats.

Read the subject title it certainly implies that, why write it then. No one even questioned the subject. I was just replying to it. Some people might be backtracking a bit but the negativity was certainly apparent. Sad that he had to go elsewhere to feel the appreciation.

It was a SU fan, maybe even the doc

Joe finished with more career 3 pointers made than Gmac but it took him one more season to accomplish that. 402 to 400.

Joe finished with more career 3 pointers made than Gmac but it took him one more season to accomplish that. 402 to 400.
Shot a significantly higher percentage than GMac or Buddy and just edged out Rautins for his career.

Shot a significantly higher percentage than GMac or Buddy and just edged out Rautins for his career.
Joe has half court range and a quick trigger.

Still don’t understand the concept of allowing 5 years of stats to count for a high school career.
I get it, you don’t like Joe G and never have. If his stats were over a ten year period they would still be impressive.

I get it, you don’t like Joe G and never have. If his stats were over a ten year period they would still be impressive.
Not true. Just going from my own perspective. And I was only talking about high school. Vermont doesn’t allow a player to even compete in more than 4 years of varsity spoerts. You can start as an 8th grader, but you’re done after junior year. Lots of kids end up at high schools not associated with their middle school. Why do those players get discriminated against in the record books despite being potentially better players? That might not apply to Joe, but it’s certainly not a level playing field.

I wish Joe had been used properly by JB. I also wish Joe had been in as good condition as he was at Clemson, and was more willing to take only good, open shots here like he did at Clemson.
His job here was to shoot and shoot at volume. At Clemson, his job was different.

Not true. Just going from my own perspective. And I was only talking about high school. Vermont doesn’t allow a player to even compete in more than 4 years of varsity spoerts. You can start as an 8th grader, but you’re done after junior year. Lots of kids end up at high schools not associated with their middle school. Why do those players get discriminated against in the record books despite being potentially better players? That might not apply to Joe, but it’s certainly not a level playing field.
1. It’s not discrimination. 2. Joe didn’t play in Vermont.
3. Pete Maravich only played 3 years of varsity basketball and had no 3 point shot. If anyone has a grip about changing landscapes impacting history, it’s him.

Still don’t understand the concept of allowing 5 years of stats to count for a high school career.
It’s not a high school career; it’s a varsity career. No one gets JV stats as part of their legacy.

and unfortunately there will be a lot of covid /transfer asterisks in the record books. career is now meaningless.

It’s not a high school career; it’s a varsity career. No one gets JV stats as part of their legacy.
Joes high school stats, which have him as the leading scorer in ny, include his 8th grade year on varsity.

Girard began playing varsity basketball, coached by his uncle Rob Girard, for the Indians while still in eighth grade, averaging 21.7 points per game.[3][4] As a freshman, he averaged 33.9 points per game and made 122 three-pointers and began to be recruited by colleges.[2] As a sophomore, Girard averaged 36.4 points per game and finished the season with 2,157 career points in leading the team to a 24–1 record.[5] As a junior, Girard averaged 50.0 points per game and passed Lance Stephenson's state record of 2,946 career points scored.[6] He was named the New York Gatorade Player of the Year, the All-USA New York Player of the Year, and the Albany Times Union Male Athlete of the Year.

As a senior, Girard averaged 48.6 points per game and led Glens Falls to its first New York Federation title, scoring 53 points in the championship game and finishing his high school career with 4,763 points.[7][8] Girard was again named the New York Gatorade Player of the Year as well as the NYSSWA Class B Player of the Year and Mr. New York Basketball and was named Class B first team All-State for a fourth consecutive season and was named the MaxPreps Athlete of the Year for his combined success in basketball and football.[9] Rated a three star prospect, Girard committed to play college basketball at Syracuse over offers from Boston College, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.[10]

Joes high school stats, which have him as the leading scorer in ny, include his 8th grade year on varsity.

Girard began playing varsity basketball, coached by his uncle Rob Girard, for the Indians while still in eighth grade, averaging 21.7 points per game.[3][4] As a freshman, he averaged 33.9 points per game and made 122 three-pointers and began to be recruited by colleges.[2] As a sophomore, Girard averaged 36.4 points per game and finished the season with 2,157 career points in leading the team to a 24–1 record.[5] As a junior, Girard averaged 50.0 points per game and passed Lance Stephenson's state record of 2,946 career points scored.[6] He was named the New York Gatorade Player of the Year, the All-USA New York Player of the Year, and the Albany Times Union Male Athlete of the Year.

As a senior, Girard averaged 48.6 points per game and led Glens Falls to its first New York Federation title, scoring 53 points in the championship game and finishing his high school career with 4,763 points.[7][8] Girard was again named the New York Gatorade Player of the Year as well as the NYSSWA Class B Player of the Year and Mr. New York Basketball and was named Class B first team All-State for a fourth consecutive season and was named the MaxPreps Athlete of the Year for his combined success in basketball and football.[9] Rated a three star prospect, Girard committed to play college basketball at Syracuse over offers from Boston College, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.[10]
And this post isn’t actually about Joe at all. It’s about the oddity of a record that allows certain high school players (not college) to be recognized for scoring that occurred when other players of equivalent talent and ability did not have the same opportunity.

How could anyone hate him? Crazy talk. Great kid, always represented SU well, proved his value here and now elsewhere. Glad he’s been appreciated without any “buts” in his last year.

No one hated him.

They hated the way the coach was rostering the team with his son on it, hated that Joe played out of position and that Joe started at PG over someone better than him with clear eye test and analytical evidence.

Also, can someone please list the most losses in games started by Syracuse players?

I’m glad Joe had a good year at Clemson. It’s a stark reminder with clear evidence that people who were arguing that JB was actively submarining his later teams bc of his kids were right.

I have no issue with Joe. Super happy he had a solid year this year and make a run. Joe maxed out at Clemson bc their coach used him right amongst good to great college players and Joe earned that after being forced to play out of position.

But let’s all be honest, this isnt what this thread is about.

Were retconning the end of JB’s tenure and unfortunately putting Joe in as a proxy.

You can play in 7th grade in NY for up to 6 years. I know of a woman at my HS that did this growing up.

Yes, why do you ask?
Is the guy counting this season?

Kind of weird, if so. Never really hear teams who make a FF brag about making the Sweet 16 that same season.

Objectively the greatest 3-point shooter to ever don the Syracuse jersey.

No, sorry. Andy Rautins, Matt Roe, Buddy and several others were better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom