Joe Girard transferring to Clemson | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard transferring to Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny improved for sure, but most realize Benny wasn’t covered when outside the line unlike Joe. Apples and oranges.
Given his height and athleticism he has a much easier time getting off his shot than JG.

I've always been impressed with your ability to make the #s say what you want them to say. It's true he finished 11th in minutes at 34.7 but nearly all of the ten guys ahead of him averaged less than a minute more than JG. In other words his #s were essentially right in line with those other players. So yeah he was near the top of the ACC in terms of minutes played. You can go through D-1 roster after roster and most guys (even far more accomplished than JG) do not play 35 min a night.

BTW, with your little “within a minute” game, there are more within a minute of him below him (6) than above him (4).

Absolutely, by design, who else did you want to shoot and from where? Jesse was an option and we fed him, until he couldn’t do squat.
I agree and that's where the blame primarily has to be directed toward the coaching staff. Wasn't always that way. We used to have more balance, better players etc. I still maintain that during their SU careers JG and BB were good not great 3FG shooters. Career 36% can't be fully explained away by poor shot selection.

BTW, with your little “within a minute” game, there are more within a minute of him below him (6) than above him (4).
I still think that can be reasonably defined as near the top. Wasn't the top guy at 36 min?

That probably encompasses over 1700 D-1 starters so the top 50 would be in the 97th percentile of all starting players.

Cool. Count every team even scrubs. You should count every player even the 13th man. What’s that? 3500 players? Again, ACC he was 11th. That’s not near the top in all of P5.

Yes. I hated JB’s offense once the talent level decreased. We didn’t do ourselves any favors giving our teams good looks. Watching Creighton and Princetons sets last night looked like a different sport to me.

Smith was a freshman. Loyer is 23 years old.
Loyer is 19 years old

Cool. Count every team even scrubs. You should count every player even the 13th man. What’s that? 3500 players? Again, ACC he was 11th. That’s not near the top in all of P5.
According to basketball reference.com the top guy in terms of minutes in the ACC was at 36.0 while they had JG at 34.7. But somehow JG is not near the top? okee-dokee.

I
We'll see where he lands but imo there aren't very many P5 schools where JG would come in and start. I could see him contributing off the bench with some teams but he's a 6'1" shooting guard with limitations in terms of handle, ability to penetrate/create and just overall athleticism. He's a good not great three point shooter. Most importantly he'll struggle mightily in m2m, even more so than he did in the zone. That alone will limit his PT at most programs.
I guess we will see, I’m going to go ahead and assume that a guy who can get interest from the schools that have reportedly reached out probably isn’t going to be bench a player.

As best as I can tell there were 18 P5 players that logged more minutes than JG this season. That's not near the top?

I

I guess we will see, I’m going to go ahead and assume that a guy who can get interest from the schools that have reportedly reached out probably isn’t going to be bench a player.
We'll see. I'm not sure we can take it as gospel that all of those programs are extending an offer to JG.

In the past when folks would criticize JB for losing guys via transfer, the defenders would quickly point to cases where the transfer didn't thrive at his new destination. I think there is a good chance of that happening here unless JG lands either at a mid major or accepts a role off the bench. jmo

My first memory of Joe was I think in an exhibition game where (I think) Brycen Goodine was the point. It was obvious to me within about 5 minutes that Joe was going to be the primary ball handler for that team because he had that alpha dog, I’m the leader mentality and he had the skills even then to be solid ACC guard. I think he had a great freshman year which was ended prematurely by Covid. It’s basically impossible to judge him the next two seasons because of Covid, both mentally and physically, and because the offense became feed it to a Boeheim and get out of the way. JB did NOTHING to help Joe get easy shots and he never recruited a point so Joe had to ensure everyone got shots.

I think Joe was as solid as he could be this year, but he was heavily limited by the lack of consistent offense from anyone else on the team. Joe posting up as a primary option is not a recipe for success in the ACC.

Moving forward I am surprised if he really was given the talk because he actually fits pretty well in a pace and space offense. Maybe he was told that his court time would be less than 30 minutes? I will say he is a bit of a ball stopper so maybe that played into it?

We'll see. I'm not sure we can take it as gospel that all of those programs are extending an offer to JG.

In the past when folks would criticize JB for losing guys via transfer, the defenders would quickly point to cases where the transfer didn't thrive at his new destination. I think there is a good chance of that happening here unless JG lands either at a mid major or accepts a role off the bench. jmo
Apples to oranges comparison at best

No one has really addressed it yet...but if he doesn’t go portal...

The nba will be a tough go right now but he can play in the g league or overseas and get paid.
I think you guys may be underestimating the G league and the European leagues. He will still be short and athletically inferior to most players. He will likely have to play man D. His shot would play, though. I love the young man but I don't thin pro ball is in his future.

I think you guys may be underestimating the G league and the European leagues. He will still be short and athletically inferior to most players. He will likely have to play man D. His shot would play, though. I love the young man but I don't thin pro ball is in his future.
Read deeper into my comment.

JB did a better job rotating up front.(prob cuz he never figured it out)
but basically rode just joe and judah in the backcourt toward the season's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom