Joe Girard transferring to Clemson | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard transferring to Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys may be underestimating the G league and the European leagues. He will still be short and athletically inferior to most players. He will likely have to play man D. His shot would play, though. I love the young man but I don't thin pro ball is in his future.
With Jimmer in China.

Keep it here.

But also.

Market down.

According to basketball reference.com the top guy in terms of minutes in the ACC was at 36.0 while they had JG at 34.7. But somehow JG is not near the top? okee-dokee.

I’ve been using the ACC site. They have the leader as 36.7 and Joe at 34.5.

I think you can infer because he is not coming back here that he wasn't told, come back and a starting role is all yours.

I’ll ask again, why are starters from other programs in the portal?

I’ll ask again, why are starters from other programs in the portal?
I refrained out of respect to Joe. I'll answer the general question, people leave for a lot of reasons. They have been recruited over. They want to move up to a better team or league. They want more NIL. In some cases, they have a new coach that wants players with skills that they don't have. And are told so. A week or so on this very board, a poster wrote that the coaches would be crazy not to want Joe back. I wrote, and you can find it here, that wasn't true. Do you think I was guessing?

Last edited:
I refrained out of respect to Joe. I'll answer the general question, people leave for a lot of reasons. They have been recruited over. They want to move up to a better team or league. They want more NIL. In some cases, they have a new coach that wants players with skills that they don't have. And are told so. A week or so on this very board, a poster wrote that the coaches would be crazy not to want Joe back. I wrote, and you can find it here, that wasn't true. Do you think I was guessing?

I don’t think anyone on this board knows what took place with any player conversation.

"He is majoring in sport management in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics." - Joe's Cuse.com bio.

Where do folks get this Newhouse stuff from?
Accepted into Newhouse for grad school

Joe had a good year. He was our only consistent outside shooting threat. Nobody was exactly scared of Bell, Benny, Judah and Taylor. He was doubled and face guarded the entire year. Opposing teams knew if they stopped him, Cuse was limited with only 2 scorers, Jesse and Judah. Considering he was harassed every game and a focus of every team to stop, he had better than a good year.

Joe had a good year. He was our only consistent outside shooting threat. Nobody was exactly scared of Bell, Benny, Judah and Taylor. He was doubled and face guarded the entire year. Opposing teams knew if they stopped him, Cuse was limited with only 2 scorers, Jesse and Judah. Considering he was harassed every game and a focus of every team to stop, he had better than a good year.
Indeed. He had a great year. Looks like he is going to end up at an excellent grad school.

Well, that narrows it down to pretty much one prospective destination.

But that would certainly be an incredibly smart life decision.
Maybe a couple. Don't forget Northwestern. But they aren't on the contact list yet...

Maybe a couple. Don't forget Northwestern. But they aren't on the contact list yet...
Northwestern was the school I assume dasher was referring to, given his description.

Well, that narrows it down to pretty much one prospective destination.

But that would certainly be an incredibly smart life decision.
I hope he does what he loves, but journalism is a mess right now… as a Newhouse grad I would suggest getting into something like finance or supply chain management. A lot more money, and far more future proof

My hope for Joe is that what ever place he ends up, they have a communications grad school as good as Newhouse.
That is a tough ask. It would be great if he gets into a too ten communications school that also plays high level basketball.

Whatever happens, wishing Joe the best. He played his heart out for us for four years.

I hope he does what he loves, but journalism is a mess right now… as a Newhouse grad I would suggest getting into something like finance or supply chain management. A lot more money, and far more future proof
Joe would be for TV as a game analyst, I don’t think it would be for reporter career either in broadcast or sportswriting

Indeed. He had a great year. Looks like he is going to end up at an excellent grad school.
I am biased. My wife is great friends with the wife of one of his many, many cousins from Glens Falls. Nice family.

Joe would be for TV as a game analyst, I don’t think it would be for reporter career either in broadcast or sportswriting
Not sure you need a journalism degree for that, being a high major D1 player is likely all the training he needs (and will never be matched by a 1 year grad program)

Not sure you need a journalism degree for that, being a high major D1 player is likely all the training he needs (and will never be matched by a 1 year grad program)
He might want to go into coaching, having a master's helps with that, having a master's in broadcast could help him with camera presence, give him some studio practice, teach him the ABCs, maybe learn some video editing skills, refine writing and public speaking skills, it's gonna help him, definitely not hurt plus he's got to go to school for something to be eligible for year 5

Last edited:

Um...

This is a take. Even the goofiest cliche-spewing D-team ex-athlete on the ACC Network just raised his eyebrows at that.

Pretty sure every on-air personality out there has gotten some extensive professional development along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom