Jonathan Burton | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Burton

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
@SUonRivals: Offense of lineman Jonathan Burton is orange. He is the 15th member of the orange recruiting class of 2013.

@CuseNationFOX: Jonathan Burton, and OL from Fork Union Military Academy has committed to #Syracuse

Sorry if I duped this. Couldn't find another thread for Burton.

Apparently we've been in on him for a while...

http://news.fredericksburg.com/spor...notebook-foxes-hall-set-to-induct-next-class/

But apparently they were waiting for a large domino to fall before offering...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/122012/12202012/743690

Relevant quote from above article: "Burton (6-foot-7, 305 pounds) said Orange coaches told him if all-Big East lineman Justin Pugh decides to enter the NFL draft, they'll offer him a scholarship and he'll "most likely" accept."

After a redshirt and a few years of developing should be a really good tackle. He has the size/ athleticism to play on Sundays. Good pick up.

Sounds like a guy we've been monitoring for a while. If he's a 4 year lineman with OT size that the staff feels comfortable offering, that's fine with me.

Sounds like a guy we've been monitoring for a while. If he's a 4 year lineman with OT size that the staff feels comfortable offering, that's fine with me.
He's got the size, so hopefully he only needs one year of redshirt seasoning.

6'8 310 pounds with a 4.96 40 - that's pretty impressive for a guy that large to be running a sub-5. Just hope Zach or whomever is playing QB 3 years down the road has a step ladder for passing situations lol.

Very good. Lessons the likely hood of getting both Hunter and Savage possibly though.

Very good. Lessons the likely hood of getting both Hunter and Savage possibly though.
There was the comment about waiting for Pugh's decision before offering. I take this to mean that Pugh is gone, so his "extra spot" goes to Burton as a development prospect. The JUCO's are still needed for next year.

D2 school as a plan B. lets hope they see a real diamond in the rough.

Apparently we've been in on him for a while...

http://news.fredericksburg.com/spor...notebook-foxes-hall-set-to-induct-next-class/

But apparently they were waiting for a large domino to fall before offering...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2012/122012/12202012/743690

Relevant quote from above article: "Burton (6-foot-7, 305 pounds) said Orange coaches told him if all-Big East lineman Justin Pugh decides to enter the NFL draft, they'll offer him a scholarship and he'll "most likely" accept."
Is there a dislike button? Because I'll be bummed if this happens.

With Burton not being ready to see the field for a couple of years, it seems a reach that they were waiting on Pugh. They're still awaiting decisions from other recruits, and there's usally a couple departures between seasons. I'm not saying Pugh's not leaving, because I think he is.

I'll tell you what...its a luxury to have a 6'8 310 pound linemen with a 4.96 40 on the depth chart.

A few years ago, he would've been tabbed as a starter...even as a frosh.

I'll tell you what...its a luxury to have a 6'8 310 pound linemen with a 4.96 40 on the depth chart.

A few years ago, he would've been tabbed as a starter...even as a frosh.
I guess we're supposed to feel lucky that we were the only ones to find and offer him

With Burton not being ready to see the field for a couple of years, it seems a reach that they were waiting on Pugh. They're still awaiting decisions from other recruits, and there's usally a couple departures between seasons. I'm not saying Pugh's not leaving, because I think he is.

Agree with this. Its not like this kid is coming in next year and starting. Getting Hunter or Chongo would be a much clearer indication that JP is leaving since these guys would be looking for playing time right off the bat.

project for sure but he is worth it. Needs alot of work but I see some good things

I guess we're supposed to feel lucky that we were the only ones to find and offer him
grumpy+old+man.jpg

Our last raw player from Fork Union Military Academy? That would be Marquis Spruill.

Guess we're supposed to feel lucky that only Us, Temple, and James Madison offered him.

I would love to see this player dominate our Oline in 3 years just to prove our staff can find & develop raw talent. God why do our fans keep doubting our coaching staff?

Hey, it might all work out to our benefit but I don't think anyone can argue that recruiting this year has exactly gone to plan. Not that it ever does but there are an alarming number of reaches this year late in the process. It could all work out but I'd feel a lot better about things if we were beating BCS schools for these kids than N. Michigan. Fork Union isn't exactly an under-the-radar kind of place. At this point we're betting that our coaches are a lot smarter and a lot better at development than most other staffs. But I think if just one of these juco/prep kids becomes a capable starter, then we've done real well for ourselves. Next year hopefully the average recruit profile will look different.