Class of 2020 - JUCO LB Lonnie Rice (PA) Decommitted from Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 JUCO LB Lonnie Rice (PA) Decommitted from Syracuse

Found this:

What Is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?​

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and the college/university.

The student agrees to attend the school full-time for at least one academic year. In exchange, the school agrees to provide financial aid to that student for at least one year.

If the student changes his mind, he is free to leave the school. However, he can lose his financial aid and may be prohibited from playing the sport at another school for one season. That's why you often see transfers sitting out for a year after arriving at a new school.

Unless it is a grade issue.

That's a 10 year old link. Kids get out of NLI's all the time now.

Edit
That's a 10 year old link. Kids get out of NLI's all the time now.
By Andrew Lu on February 06, 2013 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Can you decommit for a school after signing?
Can a student-athlete change their mind or decommit after signing a letter of intent? Yes, a student-athlete can change their mind after signing a letter of intent, however, it may risk losing one year of eligibility at your new school.Apr 17, 2022

Yes, I saw 2013 but updated in 2019. It was the only thing I saw to quickly react.

Why bother having a signing day? It doesn't seem to mean anything if you can get out of your letter of intent. But I guess it becomes another casualty of the portal process.

Technically not a portal entry because it's closed. Something happened between the signing and now.

EDIT: He's posting his film from CC. This doesn't look to be a poaching issue.

Edit

Yes, I saw 2013 but updated in 2019. It was the only thing I saw to quickly react.

Why bother having a signing day? It doesn't seem to mean anything if you can get out of your letter of intent. But I guess it becomes another casualty of the portal process.

There have been at least a half dozen basketball recruits who have "reopened" their recruitment after signing.

Signing Day is supposed to mean that you're off the market.

As long as there's NIL, I guess the market is open 24/7.

There have been at least a half dozen basketball recruits who have "reopened" their recruitment after signing.

Your second sentence "should be the gold standard" every recruit is held to.

NIL is very confusing at times - Rice being one of them.

This might also contextually explain that division 2 transfer we took a few weeks ago, if rice is in academic eligible or something along those lines.

Reactions: CIL
Edit

By Andrew Lu on February 06, 2013 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Can you decommit for a school after signing?
Can a student-athlete change their mind or decommit after signing a letter of intent? Yes, a student-athlete can change their mind after signing a letter of intent, however, it may risk losing one year of eligibility at your new school.Apr 17, 2022

Something to set a date on the calendar to talk about

I think the whole NIL thing is going to become open and players will get paid to play for any university. And, the schools with the deepest pockets will have the most talent.

It’s already happened at BYU and this is from 2021:

While some felt the NCAA's rule of allowing athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness (NIL) would create chaos, it is proving to be a positive change for athletes at Brigham Young University.On Thursday, Built Brands—a company that produces protein, protein bars and energy products—announced a multi-year NIL agreement that will include compensation to all 123 members of the Cougars' football team as well as provide full tuition for walk-on players.

BYU football NIL deal to pay walk-on players' tuition - Sports Illustrated

If it’s a grades issue and he doesn’t make it I believe it still counts against our scholarship numbers for the year. Pretty sure I remember reading someone post that change in the rules not too long ago.

If it’s a grades issue and he doesn’t make it I believe it still counts against our scholarship numbers for the year. Pretty sure I remember reading someone post that change in the rules not too long ago.

Yes and no.

The NCAA eliminated the 25 scholarship limit for 2023 and 2024.

I think the whole NIL thing is going to become open and players will get paid to play for any university. And, the schools with the deepest pockets will have the most talent.

It’s already happened at BYU and this is from 2021:

While some felt the NCAA's rule of allowing athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness (NIL) would create chaos, it is proving to be a positive change for athletes at Brigham Young University.On Thursday, Built Brands—a company that produces protein, protein bars and energy products—announced a multi-year NIL agreement that will include compensation to all 123 members of the Cougars' football team as well as provide full tuition for walk-on players.

BYU football NIL deal to pay walk-on players' tuition - Sports Illustrated

Hope Built Brands is already doing well because that's a pretty serious financial commitment for a marketing campaign that will have very little reach and impact beyond the population of part of Utah, whom the company probably doesn't need that part of the market anyway. I bet this partnership doesn't last 4 years and/or the school is giving a pretty hefty discount on tuition. I guess compensation to all the players might be VERY small as well, especially since the compensation number isn't even listed.

Stony brook offering tells me it almost 100% is grades

Not unusual for the them to take a flyer on a great athletic kid with maybe questionable grade status
He plays at brook portal next year

Forgot about that. So are we sure it doesn’t count against our 85 scholarship limit for the year either?

The 85 scholarship limit is still in place. That’s no more than 85 players on scholarship at any time.

The annual 25 scholarship limit has been lifted for the time being. This was designed to allow teams who lose more than 25 players in a given year to replace those players and maintain a roster with 85 scholarship players. Such adds to competitive fairness. Imagine losing 45 players and only being able to replace 25 of them, which means your team would only have 65 scholarship players and attempting to compete against a team with 85 scholarship players on their roster. Such a contest would likely not be competitive.

- There is no limit to the number of players who can leave via the portal.

- Classes from 2018, 2019 and 2020 still have the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic.

The 85 scholarship limit is still in place. That’s no more than 85 players on scholarship at any time.

The annual 25 scholarship limit has been lifted for the time being. This was designed to allow teams who lose more than 25 players in a given year to replace those players and maintain a roster with 85 scholarship players. Such adds to competitive fairness. Imagine losing 45 players and only being able to replace 25 of them, which means your team would only have 65 scholarship players and attempting to compete against a team with 85 scholarship players on their roster. Such a contest would likely not be competitive.

- Classes from 2018, 2019 and 2020 still have the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic.
Right but does Rice count against the 85? We certainly have room to take the hit if he does count against it, but would rather it can be used for a PWO

Right but does Rice count against the 85? We certainly have room to take the hit if he does count against it, but would rather it can be used for a PWO
Are you asking if we lose the scholarship because he didn't make it to campus? The loss of a scholarship was something that applied to the class size limit of 25 if a kid didn't make it to campus. I'd have to look it up but with the portal exodus we are still in a class plus replacements for transfers to make the 85 scholarship total this year.

Are you asking if we lose the scholarship because he didn't make it to campus? The loss of a scholarship was something that applied to the class size limit of 25 if a kid didn't make it to campus. I'd have to look it up but with the portal exodus we are still in a class plus replacements for transfers to make the 85 scholarship total this year.
Yes that is what I was asking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom