Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I watch of Judah from the scrimmage the more impressed I am. Its pretty incredible the development he's made in the last 9 months as a point guard. He looks like a true point out there with the reads he makes, which is a far stretch from where he was at the beginning of the season. Would love to see him return because he's probably ACC POY frontrunner if he does, but I think someone will pick him in the mid to late second round and if that's all he wants then he should probably go. I think he's leaving a lot of meat on the bone in that scenario though.

I thought he had two really good looks then made the easy pass several other times including a few bail out passes to shooters after getting stuck in the lane. He didn't do anything off the ball really, didn't grab a rebound and didn't take an outside shot( good thing).

In the context of there being mostly second round guys, I had him anywhere between 10th and 12th in terms of player performance in the scrimmage. Good performance and certainly wouldn't walk away negative from it. Big picture though not sure how he did much to make a team want to take him early unless he has a team lined up already from workouts saying that. He definitely didn't hurt his cause in the scrimmage but not sure he helped it either.

I thought he had two really good looks then made the easy pass several other times including a few bail out passes to shooters after getting stuck in the lane. He didn't do anything off the ball really, didn't grab a rebound and didn't take an outside shot( good thing).

In the context of there being mostly second round guys, I had him anywhere between 10th and 12th in terms of player performance in the scrimmage. Good performance and certainly wouldn't walk away negative from it. Big picture though not sure how he did much to make a team want to take him early unless he has a team lined up already from workouts saying that. He definitely didn't hurt his cause in the scrimmage but not sure he helped it either.
Yeah, I think I was just most impressed by how much of a PG he looked like. In the beginning of the year it felt like one of those situations where we force a CG to be a PG and it goes terribly. He’s made the transition incredibly well imo.

IDK Judah so I have no idea if this would occur, but there is always the chance that he returns, being disappointed that he wasn’t going in the first round, and then is (consciously or unconsciously) constantly auditioning for the NBA, rather than staying within the team concepts. I trust the coaches know the young man well enough to deal with that, if it happens.

With NIL, not a good look for us if Judah doesn't return. Kid is projected late 2nd round, which probably means undrafted. Comes from a family with means as well. How is that a better situation than getting paid to lead the Orange next season? Duke keeps Flip, Unc keeps Bacot, but we can't keep Mintz?

IDK Judah so I have no idea if this would occur, but there is always the chance that he returns, being disappointed that he wasn’t going in the first round, and then is (consciously or unconsciously) constantly auditioning for the NBA, rather than staying within the team concepts. I trust the coaches know the young man well enough to deal with that, if it happens.

I was thinking the same thing and hopefully the coaches are able to smoothly keep it under control without disrupting the team chemistry.

With NIL, not a good look for us if Judah doesn't return. Kid is projected late 2nd round, which probably means undrafted. Comes from a family with means as well. How is that a better situation than getting paid to lead the Orange next season? Duke keeps Flip, Unc keeps Bacot, but we can't keep Mintz?
Or he just hates school? Plenty of people come from good backgrounds and make poor decisions.

Maybe he just wants to focus on only basketball and that would make him happier (while making a living). That’s no reflection on us at all. I hope he stays as much as anyone but we can’t rationalize it on his behalf and say what he should/shouldn’t do.

Maybe he just wants to focus on only basketball and that would make him happier (while making a living). That’s no reflection on us at all. I hope he stays as much as anyone but we can’t rationalize it on his behalf and say what he should/shouldn’t do.
Actually, yes, we can. Isn’t that a function of a fan board? People make decisions all the time. That is absolutely their prerogative. They make personal decisions good and bad. Weighing in is fine.

Wrong
I agree Rick.

I tend to think once the toothpaste is out of the tube with kids at these combines and getting a whiff of being a professional without the educational trappings of being a student, it's good night. Very hard to pull back if the intention is to find a small window of hope to be in the nba.

If Judah comes back, it'll be great. If he goes to the NBA i wish him the best. I think another year could help him but i'm not him. Maybe if I was 19-20 i'd hightail it out of CNY if it means my life can begin as a professional

If the problem was NIL allure, why didnt he just enter the transfer portal alongisde the draft? Maybe he thinks he has a real shot and wants to take it? Not everything is syracuse's fault

Actually, yes, we can. Isn’t that a function of a fan board? People make decisions all the time. That is absolutely their prerogative. They make personal decisions good and bad. Weighing in is fine.
I meant we can’t CORRECTLY rationalize on their behalf, not that we can’t talk about it. We just can’t weight the different variables in the same way Judah can. Humans don’t act logically based on any universal sense of truth. His reality is the only one that matters and we can’t represent it perfectly.

A few things I took from watching the Combine.
  • It is not always easy to gauge how someone played by the box score. Though Judah had some nice moments and plays, his team got steamrolled while he was on the court.
  • A couple nice passes and made floaters do not make an NBA player.
  • "He looked like he belonged." This wasn't the group to belong to. This was the competition to dominate and show you were in a different class.
  • Loads of potential and ability to make some NBA level plays. But teams don't give their 2-way contracts to 20 year old guards that haven't shown they can shoot from outside.
  • Some of the "flash" that Judah plays with right now will be used against him by better players. He got severely picked clean by a guy that also is not likely to get drafted. There are guys 5-8 inches taller in the NBA that will do that to him.
  • As I've been saying, even if he gets drafted, he is deciding between GLeage money and NIL money.
  • He also showed a lack of focus as he never even looked at the inbounder one time as the inbound pass flew right by him out of bounds. That is a cardinal sin for a PG.

FIFY - Mintz and Edwards

NIL is not a problem with Judah. If it was he would have portaled when he put his name in the draft.

Using Bacot as an example is awful. There’s no player that exists like him in the NBA anymore. And Filipowski stayed at Duke because he’s injured.

A few things I took from watching the Combine.
  • It is not always easy to gauge how someone played by the box score. Though Judah had some nice moments and plays, his team got steamrolled while he was on the court.
  • A couple nice passes and made floaters do not make an NBA player.
  • "He looked like he belonged." This wasn't the group to belong to. This was the competition to dominate and show you were in a different class.
  • Loads of potential and ability to make some NBA level plays. But teams don't give their 2-way contracts to 20 year old guards that haven't shown they can shoot from outside.
  • Some of the "flash" that Judah plays with right now will be used against him by better players. He got severely picked clean by a guy that also is not likely to get drafted. There are guys 5-8 inches taller in the NBA that will do that to him.
  • As I've been saying, even if he gets drafted, he is deciding between GLeage money and NIL money.
  • He also showed a lack of focus as he never even looked at the inbounder one time as the inbound pass flew right by him out of bounds. That is a cardinal sin for a PG.
If I'm Judah, points 3 & 4 would really concern me. I can't speak for Judah and his process, but from an outside perspective I'd be worried. A lot of folks on here seem to think "eh, no biggie he'll get a 2 way contract if he doesn't get drafted (or goes late" and that just isn't the case. Those contracts are very valuable to teams and they don't just hand them out to anyone. You are competing against anyone with less than 4 years of experience for only 64 contracts. That's not the given some on here think it is. Again, I hope for the best for him whatever he chooses, I just hope he's getting good advice and listening to everything he's been given during the process.

NIL is not a problem with Judah. If it was he would have portaled when he put his name in the draft.

Using Bacot as an example is awful. There’s no player that exists like him in the NBA anymore. And Filipowski stayed at Duke because he’s injured.
I'm not suggesting we have insufficient NIL for Judah. I'm saying there is just something about Syracuse that makes players want to leave at the first available chance. Even now, when we can pay them comparable money to stay. Other programs, always manage to keep their players from going pro longer, it seems.

I'm not suggesting we have insufficient NIL for Judah. I'm saying there is just something about Syracuse that makes players want to leave at the first available chance. Even now, when we can pay them comparable money to stay. Other programs, always manage to keep their players from going pro longer, it seems.
JB isn’t the coach anymore so not getting into this. The Bacot example is awful. Those players are obsolete at the pro level.

I don’t think that’s a syracuse thing. I think that’s reflective of the kids we’re bringing in. They’ve typically been in “less than elite” zone where they’re good enough to leave and get paid to play but not good enough to take us to meaningful heights while here. That’s a strategy we probably should have adjusted to a while ago. With new coach and the portal, it gives some great flexibility to backfill the holes immediately with either proven or high-probability players so that pattern should be done starting now.

This is objectively false and a bit crazy. Hundreds of kids go through the draft process every year even though there are only 60 spots. This is not just happening at Syracuse. It happens at literally every school good enough to produce that level of player. Even the very top spenders paying close to NBA level money lose lots to the NBA. Cherry picking one or two that stay isn't an honest way of looking at the situation.

Assumes facts not in evidence. All programs lose players to the NBA draft.

Bottom line is he isn’t ready, he can’t shoot well enough and none of it will move the needle more than ten spots in the draft. He’s also leaving millions of dollars on the table by staying in this years draft and he would t be the first. His handlers aren’t giving him good advice despite his decent game today
bunch of selfish Uncle Dennis' that can't see the forest for the trees.

My concern as well. We've seen this happen before, and in a lot of cases, I don't think its even a conscious thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom