Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 96 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judah is 19.

We are grown men and women refreshing this thread to get an update to his decision like people waiting for calls after their first date.

What's wrong with this picture?

Lol says the guy I recall sharing bedroom accomplishments on the board... we are all in this obsessive cuse fanatical commitment equally.. just own it.

Save us from ourselves before we all go mad!
Good message but probably 12 years too late. The manic depression ebb and flow with each new theory/post has always been amusing. It's not unique to this thread. So are the raging debates as to whether X happening is 50/50, 80/20, or 30/70 followed by the "you're an idiot [today] if you think it isn't."

I feel like that sentiment, the experience that is college basketball as a whole just doesn't resonate with this younger generations. The NBA is always the ultimate goal and destination but maybe more than ever its front and center and even playing G league is more attractive than bigtime college hoops. Just reality these days.
At his age you don't appreciate it as much as you do later. If I knew then, what I know now ...

At his age you don't appreciate it as much as you do later. If I knew then, what I know now ...
“The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death! What’s that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you’re too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement - in college. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you then get ready to study in high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating …and you finish off as an orgasm.”
― George Carlin

I think a good psychiatrist would enjoy flowing this thread as it has progressed over time.

It seemed most people assumed the worse early and felt Judah was gone to the NBA. Done deal.

Then after a few weeks, a couple reports that maybe not all hope was lost.

The masses on the board suddenly switched from pessimistic to optimistic. Judah was staying! Woo hoo!

But no real word from insiders. And still absolute silence from Judah. A couple people suggested he was 50-50 to stay. Or perhaps worse. And most of the board switched sides again. He gone. Woe is us. Why can’t we have good things?

Over the years, I have learned coping mechanisms to allow me to keep my sanity. They have been somewhat successful. The biggest is to assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised if something good happens.

I hope Judah stays. He was a joy to watch develop last season. If he comes back, I think he has a legit chance to be an All American. Would love to see what he can do playing some man defense, playing a more up tempo offense with better athletes to work with.

If he goes pro, hey, I wish him nothing but success. I understand his goal is to play pro ball, not play at Syracuse and playing here is a means to an end. Hope things work out toward that but I think we will be okay regardless.

I only ask one thing. Please Judah, make a decision soon. I am so sick of checking this thread and finding drivel like this post. Help us. Save us from ourselves before we all go mad!
A good psychiatrist would be concerned about how many old men care what some 19 year old kid is going to do with their life.

Bottom line, any player selected mid 2nd round to the last pick of the draft does not have a decent chance of making it in the league. The investment made by a team in a mid to late 2nd rounder is not worth the team being patient for good returns. If a player is only a freshman and experts are advising that he go back to school for at least another year to get better and move up to the 1st round the following year, it just makes sense to do so especially in this new era of NIL. A middle class kid like Judah does not need to rush and take a 2nd rounder's risk. It's admirable to have confidence and self belief, but common sense trumps all. If Ennis, Lydon, McCullough and Richardson (all who left school before they should have) were not 1st round picks but drafted in the 2nd, they would have been out of the league after year one and not be millionaires.

Bottom line, any player selected mid 2nd round to the last pick of the draft does not have a decent chance of making it in the league. The investment made by a team in a mid to late 2nd rounder is not worth the team being patient for good returns. If a player is only a freshman and experts are advising that he go back to school for at least another year to get better and move up to the 1st round the following year, it just makes sense to do so especially in this new era of NIL. A middle class kid like Judah does not need to rush and take a 2nd rounder's risk. It's admirable to have confidence and self belief, but common sense trumps all. If Ennis, Lydon, McCullough and Richardson (all who left school before they should have) were not 1st round picks but drafted in the 2nd, they would have been out of the league after year one and not be millionaires.

Good post. A guy like Trevor Keels went 42? to the Knicks, and no one is waiting for him to help next year.

There are outliers but seems that guys get layered quick.

What is the percentage chance he doesn't get drafted? NBA teams feed the media a lot of bull shite and the media sucks it up and puts it in their crystal ball. Things that appear solid can turn liquid and evaporate real quick in this environment.

I'm glad that this saga is about to come to an end.

As a Syracuse fan, I want to see Red get off on the right foot. I also want to see the ship get righted, and for the team to move beyond the tangible decline that's plagued the last 9 seasons. And Judah returning seems to be the best way for both of those things to happen.

And if Judah opts to stay in the draft, I'll wish him the best and root for him if he makes the NBA.

But I'm also tired of this situation, which of course has dragged out to the last possible moment. Stay, go -- whatever -- just get it over with so that the team can move forward, either way.

Good post. A guy like Trevor Keels went 42? to the Knicks, and no one is waiting for him to help next year.

There are outliers but seems that guys get layered quick.
I doubt he’s on the Knicks roster next year.

Truth

On day 1 of the 22 season 41% of the nba players came via the G league

The main gamble with round 2 is also how many unknown European players rights get drafted. The mocks show so many USA guys but that is NEVER the case how it shakes out in round 2. Another point being made as well here for his reason to come back
Only about 30 G league players get called up each year. Basically 1 per team.
The G league is a very tough grind. Easy to get lost. I personally think given his position, family, and NIL hes crazy to stay in.

I'm glad that this saga is about to come to an end.

As a Syracuse fan, I want to see Red get off on the right foot. I also want to see the ship get righted, and for the team to move beyond the tangible decline that's plagued the last 9 seasons. And Judah returning seems to be the best way for both of those things to happen.

And if Judah opts to stay in the draft, I'll wish him the best and root for him if he makes the NBA.

But I'm also tired of this situation, which of course has dragged out to the last possible moment. Stay, go -- whatever -- just get it over with so that the team can move forward, either way.

I felt Dean's recent pod, while not having any new information that isn't already out there was a good listen. I won't get into specifics but genesis of one important point is that if he is still in the middle of the "process" with just that one workout- its hard to imagine that good news /confirmation just hasn't happened. That confidence/belief/heavy interest isn't there from the NBA side of things or else this saga would be over. It's really just reiterating a point made in a different way on the board throughout this saga so otherwise I wouldn't comment on it given where it came from.

Ultimately it's down to would you bet on yourself even if you aren't hearing what you want to hear? That is a damn tough call to make because you don't have a lot of wind in your sails beyond your own.

The main gamble with round 2 is also how many unknown European players rights get drafted. The mocks show so many USA guys but that is NEVER the case how it shakes out in round 2. Another point being made as well here for his reason to come back

Plus look at Charlotte being his one workout... and them having multiple picks. You see those get traded away all the time.

Most front offices are much smarter than they were.

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of mid to late second round picks, especially with the second apron coming soon.

most teams are much better with development.

I think Judahs shot, his strength and his second level decision making can get better at both Cuse and the NBA.

My worry is his wingspan.

It’s easy to say that if he gets drafted by the smartest teams like the Spurs or Heat that he’ll make it.

Charlotte? Yikes.

If I were him and wasn’t sure I could, at worse, land at 44 to the Spurs, I’m coming back.

Most front offices are much smarter than they were.

I wouldn’t be so dismissive of mid to late second round picks, especially with the second apron coming soon.

most teams are much better with development.

I think Judahs shot, his strength and his second level decision making can get better at both Cuse and the NBA.

My worry is his wingspan.

It’s easy to say that if he gets drafted by the smartest teams like the Spurs or Heat that he’ll make it.

Charlotte? Yikes.

If I were him and wasn’t sure I could, at worse, land at 44 to the Spurs, I’m coming back.

Yeah Charlotte isn't exactly a model team development wise. I thought they also have a pretty deep stable of young guards including basically a very similar type of player to Judah in Bouknight. Judah being more a PG than Bouk but still...

Most NBA teams used to stash Euro guys in the 2nd round… now they just all draft their 2-way guys in the mid to late 2nd round (I think theyre going to increase it from 2 2-way spots to 3 2-way spots soon?)

Yeah Charlotte isn't exactly a model team development wise. I thought they also have a pretty deep stable of young guards including basically a very similar type of player to Judah in Bouknight. Judah being more a PG than Bouk but still...
Yes, my adopted Hornets here in Charlotte have been a clusterfkc for years. They do have a nice stable as you say led by LaMelo Ball. And Bouknight, who's a much better player than Judah, has yet to see significant time.
I can't blame Judah if he pulls the trigger, but only if he's prepared to go the GL and likely journeyman route.

There are times when we obsess because a kid‘s decision is likely to be critical to the teams success. I believe we already have enough at guard, so that even if Judah does not return, I do not see that decision taking us from “successful” to “unsuccessful.” That is, of course, not to say that we will not be better with Judah, of course, he would be a plus.

I think the team has bigger issues:

1. Will Red be as good a coach as we are anticipating ?

2. Will we get any kind of halfway effective o from the 5 spot ?

3. Will Benny be consistent enough ?

4. Will somebody take hold of the other forward spot ?

5. will we have enough 3 point shooting ?

imho, some, maybe all, of the above questions may have a bigger impact on the success of the season than will Judah’s decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom