Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Judah played well. But that wasn’t enjoyable to watch. No idea how nba scouts do it, I’d be sticking a fork in my neck about 5 minutes into these scrimmages.

Yeah. Although when you see 35-40 guys who didn't play that are already ahead of him then a good 10-12 guys who played better than him things get iffy considering his drill and shooting numbers were not all that impressive.

ESPN now has him 55 to the Pacers. Looking at local Indy news, that would be news to the Pacers looking for a big guard or small forward. On the cusp of being undrafted.

Lazy and haven’t read the comments, but that’s as good as Judah can play. He looked like he belonged. He gone… under control, passed GREAT, great first step and blow by ability, finished at rime. Only thing left is to take a few 3’s…

Lazy and haven’t read the comments, but that’s as good as Judah can play. He looked like he belonged. He gone… under control, passed GREAT, great first step and blow by ability, finished at rime. Only thing left is to take a few 3’s…
But can he finish against guys that aren’t borderline NBA players. That’s the concern and why scouts want to see him shoot. He’s not making a living around the rim in the NBA.

He was OK to good. A couple of assists won't translate as he dribbled into trouble. Had a really poor turnover trying to get fancy at half court. He moved the ball well and had some really nice passes. Defended pretty well too. The areas of concern were off the ball as he tended to sit and watch and then the lack of being any threat from outside limits his game for the time being.

It was a nice showing against the back half of the guys trying to get drafted. I would say a good 10-12 guys over the two scrimmages showed more than he did. Given his measurables and drill and shooting results it wasn't a lot to hang a hat on. Still probably has him where Givony placed him in the 50s. Hopefully there is a team who really likes him and his potential.

Also on defense he gotten taken to the paint a couple times. His shorter wingspan was noticeable for the first time. Positioning and on ball defense though was solid overall.

Edit - Jake's comment on finishing around the rim vs actual NBA guys too is a good point.

But can he finish against guys that aren’t borderline NBA players. That’s the concern and why scouts want to see him shoot. He’s not making a living around the rim in the NBA.
Oh I agree. Just really shocked he looked so good. Wasn’t expecting it.

He was OK to good. A couple of assists won't translate as he dribbled into trouble. Had a really poor turnover trying to get fancy at half court. He moved the ball well and had some really nice passes. Defended pretty well too. The areas of concern were off the ball as he tended to sit and watch and then the lack of being any threat from outside limits his game for the time being.

It was a nice showing against the back half of the guys trying to get drafted. I would say a good 10-12 guys over the two scrimmages showed more than he did. Given his measurables and drill and shooting results it wasn't a lot to hang a hat on. Still probably has him where Givony placed him in the 50s. Hopefully there is a team who really likes him and his potential.

Also on defense he gotten taken to the paint a couple times. His shorter wingspan was noticeable for the first time. Positioning and on ball defense though was solid overall.

Edit - Jake's comment on finishing around the rim vs actual NBA guys too is a good point.
I just think in his mind he wants to go pro. Any positive performances are only going to lean him even more so towards the nba. Obviously he isn’t a first rd pick. He should come back and make guaranteed money

I just think in his mind he wants to go pro. Any positive performances are only going to lean him even more so towards the nba. Obviously he isn’t a first rd pick. He should come back and make guaranteed money

Come back or get a 2 way contract and develop in the G League. G league can be a competitive lonely existence for a 20 yr old I'm sure vs having to go to class but getting another year to shine and win a bunch of games with your boys in Orange while cashing in via NIL.

Either way if he wants to go pro and is confident in it- then by all means just go for it and hope everything falls into place.

Sign me up for the Santa Clara kid (Brandin P) if Judah stays in - he’s a baller but probably not NBA player
Brandin P is getting some late first early 2nd buzz. I know some Wizards fans would be happy to trade down and take him with a late lottery pick.

Bottom line is he isn’t ready, he can’t shoot well enough and none of it will move the needle more than ten spots in the draft. He’s also leaving millions of dollars on the table by staying in this years draft and he would t be the first. His handlers aren’t giving him good advice despite his decent game today

Last edited:
Come back or get a 2 way contract and develop in the G League. G league can be a competitive lonely existence for a 20 yr old I'm sure vs having to go to class but getting another year to shine and win a bunch of games with your boys in Orange while cashing in via NIL.

Either way if he wants to go pro and is confident in it- then by all means just go for it and hope everything falls into place.
If we a collective set aside the $400,000 that was earmarked for Jesse, then it makes his decision a whole lot more interesting...

If we a collective set aside the $400,000 that was earmarked for Jesse, then it makes his decision a whole lot more interesting...

Maybe. I presume there was ample set aside for Judah already too... then don't know how much of Jesses was used up for anyone else etc.

The more I watch of Judah from the scrimmage the more impressed I am. Its pretty incredible the development he's made in the last 9 months as a point guard. He looks like a true point out there with the reads he makes, which is a far stretch from where he was at the beginning of the season. Would love to see him return because he's probably ACC POY frontrunner if he does, but I think someone will pick him in the mid to late second round and if that's all he wants then he should probably go. I think he's leaving a lot of meat on the bone in that scenario though.

He should be thinking about that second contract. That's the one that can set him up for the long haul. He needs to go where he's got the best chance to prepare for that. Selfishly, I hope he feels that will happen with Cuse, but history has proven that is not the popular decision.

The issue with the assumption that he's getting a two-way deal (if undrafted) is shaky. Teams only get 2 of those deals per season and anyone with less than 4 years experience is eligible. So, he wouldn't just be competing against the other players in this draft, he's competing against, potentially, 20-30 players from the last 3 drafts as well. It's a really tough spot for him and a really difficult decision. Tough to be so close to your dream, but also balance if another year of patience is what will actually be the better choice. I just hope whatever he decides works out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom