Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Just being honest about Hopkins.. waxing poetic

I’m a big Hopkins fan. In business we do things called succession planning all guided around handing the keys to next generation to keep the company alive and well. Given JBs age we know he is not going to be around for more than 3-4 years we passed on Hopkins unfortunately. Seems Hopkins is the real deal and would have been a great HC hopefully Autry or GMAC will be the same. If not blame it on the Admin for not forcing the hand on succession planning. Nothing worse than having a leader stay on too long.

Not the 1st time a father planned on turning the family business over to his son, only to have the son decide at the last minute that he'd rather start up his own new company on the West Coast instead.

I don’t think Hopkins is the solution, he looked really bad when he took over for JB, we can do better honestly, even if we have to pay a non alum more money.
Only if you're looking to go in a completely different direction with the program, then yeah. The really appealing thing about Hop was that he was was going to bring Syracuse basketball into the modern age while still retaining familiar hallmarks such as the zone. His youth, vigor and incredible ability to relate to kids. His on-camera likeability. His willingness to try new ideas (e.g. he isn't a 100% zone guy). He was the basektball version of Babers in so many ways.

We might knock it out of the park with a hire completely outside the program but it won't be the same. There will be rumors of when that guy will leave for something different. Hop was perceived as a potential lifer.

Only if you're looking to go in a completely different direction with the program, then yeah. The really appealing thing about Hop was that he was was going to bring Syracuse basketball into the modern age while still retaining familiar hallmarks such as the zone. His youth, vigor and incredible ability to relate to kids. His on-camera likeability. His willingness to try new ideas (e.g. he isn't a 100% zone guy). He was the basektball version of Babers in so many ways.

We might knock it out of the park with a hire completely outside the program but it won't be the same. There will be rumors of when that guy will leave for something different. Hop was perceived as a potential lifer.

We're the destination school. There are maybe 5 schools that can take a basketball coach from us.

We're the destination school. There are maybe 5 schools that can take a basketball coach from us.
I know that. I'm just saying all things being equal everyone would prefer a HC with SU ties.

Any chance St Helens is due for a bowel movement?

But there is a question of the program slipping. I see the program trending upward from the down, sanction years.

This years team is better than last years and there is more talent on this years squad.
I see a good team for next year out of players already here; Carey/Buddy/Eli/OB/Marek(+Sidibe). Plus there are some exciting frosh in the works - Goodine/QG/JG3. While, it is a bummer to not get I Stewart, IS would have moved this program into the top 10.

The win at Duke ended most peoples bubble talk. And if that is the case, I don't think you can classify this year as a bubble year. That would be an upward trend.

Today's upward trending may not be tomorrow's, especially our current world of social media, etc. and "what's trending" in the moment. Last week, we trended up, what happens in with lose Thursday at home, and then two days later at VPI? Or, god forbid, after losing to Miami, we go on the road for 3 straight losses? How would we be trending then? Moreover, not only would that place us on the proverbial bubble yet again, or in that particular instance, be on the outside looking in.

Aren't you a little premature in implying that the leader has stayed on too long? JB could certainly be bringing us out of the mess of sanctions. IMO, we're better this year than last. And next year is already flush everywhere except center.

And aren't you also premature on blaming the Admin? What if JB brings us back and then SU offers a seasoned Hop who comes on back?
Aren't you a little premature in implying that the leader has stayed on too long? JB could certainly be bringing us out of the mess of sanctions. IMO, we're better this year than last. And next year is already flush everywhere except center.

And aren't you also premature on blaming the Admin? What if JB brings us back and then SU offers a seasoned Hop who comes on back?
One could say this every year. Think they need a date and specific cut over plan. If the plan is for Hopkins to come back in 2 years great and on board with this. Just hate seeing CEOs, players, coaches hang on too long best to step away on top,
and leave program in good shape. I’m guessing the university has a plan it’s just not public info.

Today's upward trending may not be tomorrow's, especially our current world of social media, etc. and "what's trending" in the moment. Last week, we trended up, what happens in with lose Thursday at home, and then two days later at VPI? Or, god forbid, after losing to Miami, we go on the road for 3 straight losses? How would we be trending then? Moreover, not only would that place us on the proverbial bubble yet again, or in that particular instance, be on the outside looking in.
Of course trends can change. I'm just stating what I see now.

And this goes for year over year, as in I think this years team is an improvement over last years.

And I see great potential in next year as well. SU is getting back to more program kids vs the grad route. Another good trend.

Except, deep down, JB never really planned on turning it over. Hop was Charlie Brown and JB was Lucy holding the football.
the whole "head coaching in waiting " sham is akin to telling the deckhand lowering your lifeboat overboard "don't fret chap we'll come back for you soon. chin up ! " and leave seattle for syracuse ? $big money$.

Last edited:
I "feel" like we have a legitimate chance to win the national championship with this team, this year. It has depth at all positions and has a certain flair for the spotlight, as well being made up of 6 guys who went to the sweet 16 last year. That's not enough for you?
I wish we had a healthy Sadibe with the big guy and then maybe.

I honestly look at any other program as the enemy and a potential threat to Cuse. When people were lauding Villanova for winning titles, I thought it was short sighted treason. It was an eastern program that we recruit against adding to their, better than our, legacy. INSANITY. I feel the same way about Hopkins and Washington. I want no other program to do better than Syracuse.

What is the syracusefan penalty for committing treason?

I wish we had a healthy Sadibe with the big guy and then maybe.
I had not heard that Sidibe was injured. He has been playing, and Marek adds a different set of skills and options when he's getting minutes at the 5. I think that this team is just starting to roll and I don't see any team in the country that they can't beat.

I had not heard that Sidibe was injured. He has been playing, and Marek adds a different set of skills and options when he's getting minutes at the 5. I think that this team is just starting to roll and I don't see any team in the country that they can't beat.
No he isn’t now but was over summer so he didn’t train like he should

If the plan is for Hopkins to come back in 2 years great and on board with this. I’m guessing the university has a plan it’s just not public info.
I highly doubt ADJW has a plan based on how things were handled after Hop left. Only leverage John gets would be if the program continues to slide down even further and basketball revenue takes a hit. Otherwise he’s not getting involved.

The coach in waiting plan was concocted by Dr. Gross. The same guy that hired Grob. Why go looking for a problem where there isn't one?

The coach in waiting plan was concocted by Dr. Gross. The same guy that hired Grob. Why go looking for a problem where there isn't one?
For once I agree with you.
Hop PROBABLY would have left previously for USC but Enfield beat him out for the job.
Hop deserved his chance as the head coach at a P5 school and now has it. Hoping he finds nothing but success out there. Who knows if SU fans/administration will even want him as HC here after JB retires if he eventually struggles out west.

For once I agree with you.
Hop PROBABLY would have left previously for USC but Enfield beat him out for the job.
Hop deserved his chance as the head coach at a P5 school and now has it. Hoping he finds nothing but success out there. Who knows if SU fans/administration will even want him as HC here after JB retires if he eventually struggles out west.
He has 100% positive support at UW. There is virtually no criticism to anything he is doing. He took over a once strong program which had fallen to it's low point with only upside possible. His program is in a league which has fallen a long way from the elite. This is a much better situation for him to learn to be a head coach than at Syracuse, where all those factors would be opposite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom