(just curious) after today... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

(just curious) after today...

No change. I'm starting to feel like I'm watching the football team. In the right circumstance and situation, if all the planets align, playing the perfect game, there's just enough talent to beat almost anyone in the country. But just as easily could lose to most anyone in the country as well. Have absolutely no idea how things will turn out but I'm still not optomistic after this near miss game.

With the big guy coming at him, he had two choices: tomahawk power slam or high off the backboard. I guess he wasn't feeling the slam.
No, he had a third choice. Pump fake, jump into the big guy and get a foul. But he threw it up like the shot clock was down to hundredths of a second.

Unfortunately it isnt nonsense.

Please point to facts that have been reported about Sidibe's medical condition that support what you keep saying. I don't think they exist in the public domain and I think you've said you have no special access or information about Sidibe. I think that makes its nonsense to a degree, at least to the extent that you beat it like a dead horse.

Depends on if the guy is banged up or not. Yes, that’s more likely to happen if you’re playing 40 every game and involved all the time, or maybe if you’re tired in a particular game.

I don’t feel like our guys typically perform worse as the season goes on though, provided they are healthy. One day off in between games would be tough. 2 or 3 though? Can’t see how it would be a factor there.

Quick update. Here are the updated MPG rankings for our three main guys:

Overall D1/P5
Tyus: 3/1
Oshae: 5/3
Frank: 10/4 (Frank actually went down because he fouled out).

Total for all other P5 players in the top 99: 13.

Other P5 players in the top 10: 1
Top 20: 2
Top 30: 4

So either JB has found out a secret only he knows or he's putting too much wear and tear on these guys.

Want to know why a freshman OB is having issues? He's playing way too much.

All these other comments are symptoms of the two main issues:
1) our MPG as noted above (and rotations)
2) our offensive strategy

Everything else doesn't matter. HW played 24 minutes and the world didn't end. If he had had more run in the beginning of the year, you think it may have helped us out?

Quick update. Here are the updated MPG rankings for our three main guys:

Overall D1/P5
Tyus: 3/1
Oshae: 5/3
Frank: 10/4 (Frank actually went down because he fouled out).

Total for all other P5 players in the top 99: 13.

Other P5 players in the top 10: 1
Top 20: 2
Top 30: 4

So either JB has found out a secret only he knows or he's putting too much wear and tear on these guys.

Want to know why a freshman OB is having issues? He's playing way too much.

All these other comments are symptoms of the two main issues:
1) our MPG as noted above (and rotations)
2) our offensive strategy

Everything else doesn't matter. HW played 24 minutes and the world didn't end. If he had had more run in the beginning of the year, you think it may have helped us out?

OB is having issues because he’s playing too many minutes for his ability level. He has too big of a role for what his game is ready for. Has nothing to do with wearing down IMO. If he was a stud, he’d be fine at that many minutes.

I’m all for more Washington, based on what I’ve seen.

I’m still not seeing where you’re getting “too much wear and tear” from?

OB is having issues because he’s playing too many minutes for his ability level. He has too big of a role for what his game is ready for. Has nothing to do with wearing down IMO. If he was a stud, he’d be fine at that many minutes.

Guys have no lift. No energy. The biggest risks for injury are previous injuries and being tired. Our rebounding is going down. We are losing games after having leads. Our activity, especially at the top of the zone, is lacking because guys can't even keep their arms up. Our jump shots aren't even close to falling at a good clip.

If this was about ability, Coach k should be playing Bagley 40 minutes a game. He's head and shoulders better than anyone else on a team that is stacked.

Obviously just guessing here, but I think a big part of the issue for OB is that he is learning on the fly, his confidence has been impacted, and he tends to rush his shots. I still believe he is highly skilled and is similar to the type of player that has made a big jump his Sophomore/Jr year under JB.

Guys have no lift. No energy. The biggest risks for injury are previous injuries and being tired. Our rebounding is going down. We are losing games after having leads. Our activity, especially at the top of the zone, is lacking because guys can't even keep their arms up. Our jump shots aren't even close to falling at a good clip.

If this was about ability, Coach k should be playing Bagley 40 minutes a game. He's head and shoulders better than anyone else on a team that is stacked.

That Duke roster is in just a little better shape than ours, depth wise.

When the chips are down, he rides his horses similar to Boeheim. Problem is “the chips are down” for us in basically every game this year...and we literally have nobody else.

Washington is the only guy who we can point to that could/should play more. Marek plays a lot when he deserves to. Sidibe is hobbled. That’s the options.

That Duke roster is in just a little better shape than ours, depth wise.

When the chips are down, he rides his horses similar to Boeheim. Problem is “the chips are down” for us in basically every game this year...and we literally have nobody else.

Washington is the only guy who we can point to that could/should play more. Marek plays a lot when he deserves to. Sidibe is hobbled. That’s the options.

But if your earlier point held up, it wouldn't matter who is behind Bagley. He's that much better.

He would just play him for 40 mpg.

Of course he has his final five that he rides at the end of games. Those guys also haven't been burnt out playing too much the whole year.

But if your earlier point held up, it wouldn't matter who is behind Bagley. He's that much better.

He would just play him for 40 mpg.

Of course he has his final five that he rides at the end of games. Those guys also haven't been burnt out playing too much the whole year.

That wasn’t my earlier point though. Bagley has played 38-40 minutes in pretty much all of their close games. They have the luxury of sitting him more when they’re up by more because they have more talent...so they have fewer close games that they’re trying to white knuckle their way to wins in and better guys to bring in.

In general, I've been encouraged. Frank is better than i thought. Chukwu is better than I thought. Brissett will have another year. Washington, Moyer and Marek are out-gunned, but are getting blooded, and should be productive roll players next season. The team plays really hard. I like the recruiting class. JB seems re-energized.

There is no doubt that the last three-four years have not been up to snuff. If JB can tweak his systems a bit, we should be right back where we should in a season or two (perennial top 15).

Last edited:
12-6 looks like we are underachieving on paper, but we were in it to the very end in each of our losses except for the Kansas game. This is a team playing five freshman and a starting center with only 400 minutes played in college prior to this season. There is a ton of inexperience on this team, but they fight hard each night, which is why I'm encouraged. We'll probably be a bubble team again this year, but the experience our players are getting this season will only help the program over the long run.

...are you more encouraged or further discouraged about this team's prospects?

For me I'd say it's pretty much a wash - some things to like but some same old same old things that continue to kill us)
Probably about where I was going into the season. I let the first 14 games raise my expectations a bit even though there weren't any completely unexpected wins. Just the fact that we avoided any true What losses was a bit of a plus after last year. I think the last four have brought me back to where I started the year, hoping for 20 wins and a berth in the NCAAs, fearing a failure to get to 17 wins and prolonging our streak of winning seasons. Now, objectively I'm heartened by our ability to stick with teams like FSU, UVa and Virginia but that is tempered by the fact that we had an opportunity to knock off three teams that were considered our peers or above preseason, two of them on the road, and failed to get the job done despite the fact that all 3 played without their best players.

At the very worst we MUST win 3 of the next 4. Margin of error on the path to 17 wins is becoming frighteningly slim.

That wasn’t my earlier point though. Bagley has played 38-40 minutes in pretty much all of their close games. They have the luxury of sitting him more when they’re up by more because they have more talent...so they have fewer close games that they’re trying to white knuckle their way to wins in and better guys to bring in.

But it's not just Duke. There is no other P5 school that is close with us in how much its key guys play. So, lets say Duke gets to load manage more easily due to blow outs (like the GSW). Fair enough for argument's sake.

What about every other P5 school?

I'm not exaggerating. Lets concede K would play guys 38 mpg if each game was closer. What's the reasoning for every other P5 team? Is JB the only P5 coach with a limited roster? Is JB the only one refusing to let a Howard Washington learn through mistakes early in the season?

IMO, JB is trying to win the game in front of him instead of winning the season and it's hurting our players.

I think his offensive strategy is bad.

I think teams know they can wear us down because half of our guys don't have a fifth gear to even start the games.

This team has talent. Battle is an nba player. So is Oshae (he isn't going anywhere this year). Frank will play pro somewhere.

Last edited:
Obviously just guessing here, but I think a big part of the issue for OB is that he is learning on the fly, his confidence has been impacted, and he tends to rush his shots. I still believe he is highly skilled and is similar to the type of player that has made a big jump his Sophomore/Jr year under JB.

Have heard this a few times about Brissett and his confidence. I don't think it's the case. I don't see him hesitating, he's still shooting the ball at a high volume and his body language doesn't look poor at all.

If he has confidence issues while having a lock on a starting position and in the top portion of mpg in the country then he's weak minded. But I don't think he has any confidence issues, just don't think he's the shooter as he was hyped up to be.

Have heard this a few times about Brissett and his confidence. I don't think it's the case. I don't see him hesitating, he's still shooting the ball at a high volume and his body language doesn't look poor at all.

If he has confidence issues while having a lock on a starting position and in the top portion of mpg in the country then he's weak minded. But I don't think he has any confidence issues, just don't think he's the shooter as he was hyped up to be.

I think he’s got a nice stroke. You don’t shoot as well as he has from the FT line without having a nice shooting stroke. There’s a learning curve for most guys though. It’s a different level of ball, and he has to adjust to it and over time he will.

We’ve had a lot of guys with good shooting strokes who took time to become good shooters at this level...Nichols, Shumpert, Cooney - these guys were under 30% from 3 their first year. I’m sure they were all knockdown shooters in high school and in drills in practice and maybe even scrimmages. I think a big part of it is just adjusting to the speed of the game and the higher level of play.

I think he’s got a nice stroke. You don’t shoot as well as he has from the FT line without having a nice shooting stroke. There’s a learning curve for most guys though. It’s a different level of ball, and he has to adjust to it and over time he will.

We’ve had a lot of guys with good shooting strokes who took time to become good shooters at this level...Nichols, Shumpert, Cooney - these guys were under 30% from 3 their first year. I’m sure they were all knockdown shooters in high school and in drills in practice and maybe even scrimmages. I think a big part of it is just adjusting to the speed of the game and the higher level of play.

And I think you nailed it, the adjustment is what the issue probably is. Just don't see him with confidence issues.

I think Brissett will be excellent for us, probably next year. Our 3 and 4 could rival for the best duo in the country.

If Battle comes back, I really think we're looking at probably a top 5 team in the JB era.

I hear you. I was not implying he is "weak minded," nor is he "hesitating." If anything, he is not taking enough time. He has a great stroke from the FT line, and good form on his jumper. He has a great first step off the dribble, gets to the rim, and misses the shot (or gets fouled). The game adjustment, learning curve part is taking his time to finish at the rim with touch, instead of rushing up a shot (he shoots too hard at the rim, IMO). I would like to see him try to dunk everything at the rim. Of course, he wont be able to, but I think it will help as a next step.

I think he is struggling with the mental part of missing all those shots. I am attributing that specific struggle to impacting his confidence. I do not think he lacks confidence in general or as a personality set. The fact that he keeps shooting points to that. I think he is shooting with even less touch now because of the accumulative impact of all those missses.

Haha. You’re letting emotion cloud you right now. Syracuse basketball doesn’t have GUARANTEED losses even in down years. Guaranteed? Like no chance going into the tip-off? Was our clemson game a guaranteed loss in football before the game?

@Duke no chance.

I think Brissett will be excellent for us, probably next year. Our 3 and 4 could rival for the best duo in the country.

If Battle comes back, I really think we're looking at probably a top 5 team in the JB era.

A bit of hyperbole. I think Brisset and Bazley will be fun to watch, but I wouldn't put them with the best in the country before Bazley even sets foot on camps. Bazley will likely be very very good, but the difference between him and guys like Bagley or Melo and the reason they can be dominant from day 1 is that they came in physically mature. I think Bazley will come in in a high schoolers body.

@Duke no chance.
great poster. ludicrous take. So the line will be Duke -18? I'll answer for you. No, no it won't. I bet the Cuse moneyline will be 10% easily. If the moneyline is 1%, I'll alert you for your sage prediction will be close enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom