Knicks! (and other NBA action) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Knicks! (and other NBA action)

From ESPN article

They see players appearing to run different plays than the bench calls, see assistant coach Tyronn Lue calling timeouts literally behind Blatt's back during games, and hear Cavs players openly talking about coaching issues with opposing players and personnel. Not once, not twice, but frequently over the past several months.

I like the new Melo a lot too. He's playing really well the last few months. Especially when a few more shots start falling...

Swap Melo and Lebron and I think you'd see the top 3 teams int he east as the Knicks, Raps, and Cle, probably in that order? They'd all be lining up to lose in 5 or 6 in the finals.
No way the Knicks, led by Lebron are #1 in the East. No way.

Of course I say this after watching Jose Calderon and his scrub backcourt counterparts get annihilated by the Clippers.

Last edited:

Just going to highlight this comment from NBA reddit post about this situation.

Enjoy Bron's take on Blatt.

[
First, who's the source on what Blatt supposedly overheard? I don't see one. And that gif is the proof? I'm no lip-reader, but I see no mf coming from LeBron's lips.

Sorry, I'm a journalist, worked in newspapers for 30 years, been freelancing for 17, I have higher standards and required more proof than third-, fourth-hand gossip.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2014/12/adrian-wojnarowski-doesnt-like-lebron-james/

Are NBA reporters lobbing bombs back at Woj? We’ve spoken ad nauseum about the bizarre angles taken by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski when discussing one LeBron James, but a well-written and well-sourced longread report over at The New Republic shines a brighter light on this apparent bias against the four-time NBA MVP among others. Spending a few paragraphs building Woj up—his Twitter followers have grown from 90,000 to 800,000 in just three years—the author, Kevin Draper, gets several other NBA scribes to join in attempting to tear down one of the world’s best when it comes to NBA reporting.

The holes? Nothing we haven’t discussed here. Woj is at his best when breaking news. Where he starts to veer off course is when he attempts to weave commentary in to his reporting. According to Draper:

Among those who are typically skewered in Woj’s “columns”: former ESPN stat guy John Hollinger and current Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James.

His news scoops were accurate, however he procured them. On other subjects, though, his reporting has been consistently wrong, and he has lashed out with vicious opinion columns. His favorite targets include the New York Knicks management, the “Carolina way,” John Calipari, Larry Brown, college basketball coaches, former player’s union executive director Billy Hunter, agent David Falk, and Boston Celtics executive Danny Ainge. But Wojnarowski has saved his most lethal ammunition for the best player on the planet: LeBron James.

Wojnarowski’s problems with James are endless. He passes the ball to teammates and fails in the clutch (here and here and here). He had a me-first attitude during the 2004 Olympics (here and here and here). He doesn’t want “it” enough and is soft (here and here and here). He hangs out too much with his “sycophantic” high school buddies (here and here and here). “You can see something there that was very personal,” one team executive told me.

While one can’t fault Wojnarowski for missing on a lot of the pre-Decision destination stories, his bias against James has become evident over the year. It’s the reason why we, over the years, have taken to photoshopping a stalker-like version of the Yahoo reporter into other scenes. Draper intimates that some of these torpedoes have been the result of misleading information at some point in the past (potentially in addition to James working directly with ESPN and Sports Illustrated), but multiple individuals told him that there is no contact between the reporter and James or his camp.

The fact that those people had to speak on anonymity in fear of being harmed by Wojnarowski from a career standpoint speaks volumes. It’s a dirty world out there, you guys.

TAGS:Lebron JamesNBA NewsNBA Rumors

Anybody else enjoying watching the Cavs being in disarray? Smile.

All kidding aside [for my homey, Fireball, Jr.] -- this is kind of an unusual move, given that they are 30-11. What's the point? :noidea:

You can believe what you want. If you think this decision happened independent of LeBron, enjoy it. Must be nice.

Blatt was never Bron's guy. Hopefully he'll get to go to Minnesota to coach Wiggins and bring him along, like he was meant to do in Cleveland.

Also, if you don't want to trust Woj, so be it. You just linked to an article that is a guy based in Cleveland and has been featured on ESPN (Sargent, not Draper)

This is what has always got Bron in trouble, and it's just history repeating itself.

You can believe what you want. If you think this decision happened independent of LeBron, enjoy it. Must be nice.

Blatt was never Bron's guy. Hopefully he'll get to go to Minnesota to coach Wiggins and bring him along, like he was meant to do in Cleveland.

Also, if you don't want to trust Woj, so be it. You just linked to an article that is a guy based in Cleveland and has been featured on ESPN (Sargent, not Draper)

This is what has always got Bron in trouble, and it's just history repeating itself.
I'm not saying awareness that LeBron and others didn't fully respect Blatt didn't maybe factor into Griffin's decision, but I doubt LBJ was alone in his feelings. Blatt may not be the person to coach this team to the promised land, Lue may be, at least the braintrust felt Blatt's deficiencies were enough to bid him adieu and hand the reins over to a highly regarded young coach who they think has a better shot of winning the title.

I'm not saying awareness that LeBron and others didn't fully respect Blatt didn't maybe factor into Griffin's decision, but I doubt LBJ was alone in his feelings. Blatt may not be the person to coach this team to the promised land, Lue may be, at least the braintrust felt Blatt's deficiencies were enough to bid him adieu and hand the reins over to a highly regarded young coach who they think has a better shot of winning the title.
They have zero shot to win the title. And that percentage goes down each passing year.

They just signed Ty Lue to a three year deal, committing to him while Bron has an opt out after this year.

There is no chance this change wasn't driven by Bron's team. None.

There is no way Griffin cans Blatt and signs Ty Lue, of all people, if Bron's team isn't behind this. It would make NO sense.

If Lue were just the interim coach, then maybe there could be an alternative theory, but with him signing an extension before Bron re ups? No way.

Blatt and Bron were never meant to be together, but Blatt was Gilbert's guy. Once they got beat by GSW in the Finals and then smoked by Portland and GSW in recent weeks, Bron got his way. Griffin can say what he wants. If it weren't Bron's decision, there is zero chance Lue would get this kind of commitment this quickly after Blatt's dismissal, no matter how highly regarded he is.

Finals appearance year one and 30-11 and in first in conference hear two.

Lue better go Like Walton - Steve Kerr type record otherwise it is bullshit

They just signed Ty Lue to a three year deal, committing to him while Bron has an opt out after this year.

There is no chance this change wasn't driven by Bron's team. None.

There is no way Griffin cans Blatt and signs Ty Lue, of all people, if Bron's team isn't behind this. It would make NO sense.

If Lue were just the interim coach, then maybe there could be an alternative theory, but with him signing an extension before Bron re ups? No way.

Blatt and Bron were never meant to be together, but Blatt was Gilbert's guy. Once they got beat by GSW in the Finals and then smoked by Portland and GSW in recent weeks, Bron got his way. Griffin can say what he wants. If it weren't Bron's decision, there is zero chance Lue would get this kind of commitment this quickly after Blatt's dismissal, no matter how highly regarded he is.

I liked Blatt a lot -- he is, after all, a landsman, plus a buddy who works in the Euroleague had good things to say about him when the Cavs hired him -- and I'm guessing LBJ (and Love and a host of others on the team and in the organization), are not in deep mourning. The odds were against him, the expectations and sense of urgency high.

But while there's a rush to put this all in simplistic terms and go to the it's-all-LeBron's-fault card, what's noticeably missing in the discussion so far is maybe, just maybe, Blatt deserves some responsibility for being shown the door.

One Cleveland reporter very close to the scene has some interesting insights. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index...d_blatt_got_fired_and.html#incart_maj-story-1

A couple of excerpts: "During the first portion of the 2014-15 season, film sessions were a topic of discussion among the players. Blatt was reluctant to criticize star players even when they clearly messed up a play. This became routine. It got so bad that I'm told that Lue finally intervened, stood up and demanded that somebody rewind the footage so that he could get on members of The Big 3."

"Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said."

And, for those who want to put this all on LeBron and claim he doesn't want a coach to stand up to him, there's this:

"Blatt didn't have the necessary relationship with his guys to get players to buy in. Lue is expected to hold players accountable. He's not afraid to give James a piece of his mind. Players from 1 down to 15 will be held responsible.".

"

I liked Blatt a lot -- he is, after all, a landsman, plus a buddy who works in the Euroleague had good things to say about him when the Cavs hired him -- and I'm guessing LBJ (and Love and a host of others on the team and in the organization), are not in deep mourning. The odds were against him, the expectations and sense of urgency high.

But while there's a rush to put this all in simplistic terms and go to the it's-all-LeBron's-fault card, what's noticeably missing in the discussion so far is maybe, just maybe, Blatt deserves some responsibility for being shown the door.

One Cleveland reporter very close to the scene has some interesting insights. http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index...d_blatt_got_fired_and.html#incart_maj-story-1

A couple of excerpts: "During the first portion of the 2014-15 season, film sessions were a topic of discussion among the players. Blatt was reluctant to criticize star players even when they clearly messed up a play. This became routine. It got so bad that I'm told that Lue finally intervened, stood up and demanded that somebody rewind the footage so that he could get on members of The Big 3."

"Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said."

And, for those who want to put this all on LeBron and claim he doesn't want a coach to stand up to him, there's this:

"Blatt didn't have the necessary relationship with his guys to get players to buy in. Lue is expected to hold players accountable. He's not afraid to give James a piece of his mind. Players from 1 down to 15 will be held responsible.".

"

Even if all of that is true, committing to Lue this quickly for this long while Bron can opt out, makes no sense.

Either Bron's team pushed for this (which everyone outside of Cleveland is saying) or Gilbert doesn't mind losing Bron, which clearly isn't the case.

They could have given Lue a trial and then chose a head coach, but they are now committed to Lue.

And let's just see how much Lue stands up to Bron.

LeBron is in his eighth season with the Cavs. Lue is his FIFTH coach during this time.

How many did he have in Miami? One. Because Mickey and Riley stood up to Bron and Rich Paul. Didn't let them run the show. Wade even had to put his foot down in the beginning.

So even if Blatt deserved to be fired (even though Bron never bought into his offense and Bron's decision to run the O the way he wanted allowed GSW to make a competitive Finals an easy one), Lue getting this contract is nonsensical, unless it's what Bron wants.

No way the Knicks, led by Lebron are #1 in the East. No way.

Of course I say this after watching Jose Calderon and his scrub backcourt counterparts get annihilated by the Clippers.

Lebron is still freaking amazing; and the Knicks biggest problem is a playmaker on offense. Lebron would take care of that. (I should be clear; their biggest offensive problem is a playmaker; they also can't stay in front of guards on defense; hmm, i wonder what position they need to upgrade?) Even if they didn't finish first in the standings, I am pretty sure a Lebron led Knicks would be betting favorites to win the East. You really can't overestimate what kind of an impact he'd have, even replacing Melo, who's playing really well right now.

Lebron coud have been in favor of the firing, and Blatt could have deserved to be fired. They aren't mutually exclusive; but the idea that Lebron wasn't consulted on the decision just doesn't pass the smell test for anyone. The story Lebron or whoever had planted in that paper is kind of a hit piece though.

Giving Lue a 3 year deal is kind of crazy to me.

Lebron is still freaking amazing; and the Knicks biggest problem is a playmaker on offense. Lebron would take care of that. (I should be clear; their biggest offensive problem is a playmaker; they also can't stay in front of guards on defense; hmm, i wonder what position they need to upgrade?) Even if they didn't finish first in the standings, I am pretty sure a Lebron led Knicks would be betting favorites to win the East. You really can't overestimate what kind of an impact he'd have, even replacing Melo, who's playing really well right now.

Lebron coud have been in favor of the firing, and Blatt could have deserved to be fired. They aren't mutually exclusive; but the idea that Lebron wasn't consulted on the decision just doesn't pass the smell test for anyone. The story Lebron or whoever had planted in that paper is kind of a hit piece though.

Giving Lue a 3 year deal is kind of crazy to me.
I don't know. They'd be Top 3 with Lebron but I think Melo led Cavs would be #1 in the East.

Jose Calderon and the bench is a huge problem for this team. Afflalo is a decent starter and Galloway is a decent bench player but they are shooting guards and our point guards are straight trash. It is killing this team. That wouldn't be any different with Lebron.

We have this view of Lebron but he's rarely been on a team that's not loaded (Finals last year aside which was incredible). He's got Kevin Love, Kyrie, Mozgov, Thompson, JR Smith while our second best player is a rookie with 2 decent players in Afflalo and Lopez and not much else.

Even if all of that is true, committing to Lue this quickly for this long while Bron can opt out, makes no sense.

Either Bron's team pushed for this (which everyone outside of Cleveland is saying) or Gilbert doesn't mind losing Bron, which clearly isn't the case.

They could have given Lue a trial and then chose a head coach, but they are now committed to Lue.

And let's just see how much Lue stands up to Bron.

LeBron is in his eighth season with the Cavs. Lue is his FIFTH coach during this time.

How many did he have in Miami? One. Because Mickey and Riley stood up to Bron and Rich Paul. Didn't let them run the show. Wade even had to put his foot down in the beginning.

So even if Blatt deserved to be fired (even though Bron never bought into his offense and Bron's decision to run the O the way he wanted allowed GSW to make a competitive Finals an easy one), Lue getting this contract is nonsensical, unless it's what Bron wants.

I hear you, bro, and while I understand LeBron has been a lightning rod for sniping since he came into the league as the Chosen One and clearly is not a perfect human being, I think he takes way too much heat for situations he may not have created. The truth is somewhere between Woj and the LBJ blasters and this piece from his hometown rag (and my first employer, back when I was sitting at press row watching Bingo Smith and Austin Carr and Jim Chones). http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/mar...es-unfair-reputation-of-coach-killer-1.656775

Meanwhile, I was planning to blow off tonight's Cavs-Bulls game on ABC for a play date with my girlfriend, but now I think we're going to have to head somewhere with a telly.

I don't know. They'd be Top 3 with Lebron but I think Melo led Cavs would be #1 in the East.

Jose Calderon and the bench is a huge problem for this team. Afflalo is a decent starter and Galloway is a decent bench player but they are shooting guards and our point guards are straight trash. It is killing this team. That wouldn't be any different with Lebron.

We have this view of Lebron but he's rarely been on a team that's not loaded (Finals last year aside which was incredible). He's got Kevin Love, Kyrie, Mozgov, Thompson, JR Smith while our second best player is a rookie with 2 decent players in Afflalo and Lopez and not much else.

The Cavs teams before he left were not loaded at all and they won 67 games or whatever it was. Though Lebron isn't as good now as he was then.

I really doubt if you swapped Melo and Lebon the Cavs would be #1 in the east. The Cavs are about 3 games ahead of the Raptors; so over a full season you're talking 5-6 games. I can easily see Lebron being worth 5-6 games more than Melo. (I think it's probaby more than that) I think if Melo was on the Cavs all of a sudden we'd start hearing more about how Kyrie and Love can't play any defense, how JR is a knucklehead, and how limited Thompson and Timo are.

The Cavs teams before he left were not loaded at all and they won 67 games or whatever it was. Though Lebron isn't as good now as he was then.

I really doubt if you swapped Melo and Lebon the Cavs would be #1 in the east. The Cavs are about 3 games ahead of the Raptors; so over a full season you're talking 5-6 games. I can easily see Lebron being worth 5-6 games more than Melo. (I think it's probaby more than that) I think if Melo was on the Cavs all of a sudden we'd start hearing more about how Kyrie and Love can't play any defense, how JR is a knucklehead, and how limited Thompson and Timo are.
Why? The Melo of 2016 plays defense and gets teammates involved because he's not passing the ball to absolute scrubs.

We don't hear about Lopez, KP and Afflalo not playing defense or being limited. Melo is making them look better. JR is a knucklehead, that didn't change because he plays with Lebron, we just don't hear about it, he's literally the same exact person/player in Cleveland as he was in NY. Helps to have Cleveland press and Cleveland nightlife as opposed to NYC. The problem is, outside of AA/KP/Lopez, the rest of the team is trash. Galloway/D-Will being the only guys we have off the bench. Compare those 5 with Lebrons Cleveland Cavs supporting cast...it's not even close.

Kyrie
Love
Thompson
Mozgov
JR
Dellavedova

Lopez
Afflalo
KP (rookie)
Derrick Williams
Galloway

KP has huge upside but he's a rookie right now. Those supporting casts, once again, aren't even close.

Why? The Melo of 2016 plays defense and gets teammates involved because he's not passing the ball to absolute scrubs.

We don't hear about Lopez, KP and Afflalo not playing defense or being limited. Melo is making them look better. JR is a knucklehead, that didn't change because he plays with Lebron, we just don't hear about it, he's literally the same exact person/player in Cleveland as he was in NY. Helps to have Cleveland press and Cleveland nightlife as opposed to NYC. The problem is, outside of AA/KP/Lopez, the rest of the team is trash. Galloway/D-Will being the only guys we have off the bench. Compare those 5 with Lebrons Cleveland Cavs supporting cast...it's not even close.

Kyrie
Love
Thompson
Mozgov
JR
Dellavedova

Lopez
Afflalo
KP (rookie)
Derrick Williams
Galloway

KP has huge upside but he's a rookie right now. Those supporting casts, once again, aren't even close.

Delusional. Carmelo's having arguably his best season ever in The Association, but the he-is-more-of-a-difference-maker-than-LeBron train long ago left Penn Station.

And, as for JR, yes, he still can be a knucklehead, but he's less of one in Cleveland, not because of the night life (see Johnny Manziel) but because he has LBJ to rein him in. He has no time for fools who do not produce.

Delusional. Carmelo's having arguably his best season ever in The Association, but the he-is-more-of-a-difference-maker-than-LeBron train long ago left Penn Station.

And, as for JR, yes, he still can be a knucklehead, but he's less of one in Cleveland, not because of the night life (see Johnny Manziel) but because he has LBJ to rein him in. He has no time for fools who do not produce.

I'm not arguing that Carmelo is that hyphenated sentence you posted. I am arguing the Lebron would not have the Knicks as the #1 team in the East by simply replacing Melo with him. I am arguing that Melo could also lead the Cavs to #1 in the East with Lebrons cast. I'm not arguing that Melo is better than Lebron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom