Knicks! (and other NBA action) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Knicks! (and other NBA action)

I was surprised at how fast Grant looked and how easily he was able to get to the rim. Also somewhat impressed that Lance Thomas seems like he's actually going to bring some depth. Right now the Knicks 2nd team is more fun to watch than their first team. I'm not a fan of Fisher's defensive scheme... it seems like the Knicks don't do much switching so they're getting caught up in a lot of traffic which is leading to wide open jumpers. The offense looks a gajillion times better, the reobounding seems a lot better... but the D, yuck! The starting guards are way too easy to get past and there is a seriously soft underbelly. After 2 games I can see an 7 or 8 seed but the D really needs to improve. I can also see the bottom falling out if Melo reverts back to hero ball as he did a few times and they get cold from outside. There isn't much meat to sustain them if there is an extended shooting slump... not much of an inside game and no D.
I also think they are a Playoff team but Fisher needs to shape up and quick.

Grant-Afflalo-Melo-KP-Lopez is a solid starting 5, but will we see it or is Fisher the only person on the planet who thinks starting Calderon and Vujacic is a good idea?

As far as I'm concerned, Calderon should not even play when Afflalo comes back. Galloway and Vujacic off the bench at the guard spots with KoQ, D-Will and Lance Thomas as the F/C depth.

I also think they are a Playoff team but Fisher needs to shape up and quick.

Grant-Afflalo-Melo-KP-Lopez is a solid starting 5, but will we see it or is Fisher the only person on the planet who thinks starting Calderon and Vujacic is a good idea?

As far as I'm concerned, Calderon should not even play when Afflalo comes back. Galloway and Vujacic off the bench at the guard spots with KoQ, D-Will and Lance Thomas as the F/C depth.
I wonder if Fisher sees himself in Calderon... aging vet who is getting by on experience. Fisher was starting for OKC based on that formula and was able to provide a steadying influence. Maybe he thinks Calderon is going to do that for the Knicks.

I wonder if Fisher sees himself in Calderon... aging vet who is getting by on experience. Fisher was starting for OKC based on that formula and was able to provide a steadying influence. Maybe he thinks Calderon is going to do that for the Knicks.
Well, nobody is going to be feeling all that steady when John Wall is destroying Calderon. Watching Teague abuse him was bad, but Wall... Ouch.

Russ and KD. Damn. What a game. Both go for over 40 with some insane shots.

Also, I know it's early, but Towns looks good. Minnesota is 2-0.

The lakers might be the worst team in the NBA. Surprised Houston has looked so bad the first two games. Golden State still looks like a machine.

The lakers might be the worst team in the NBA. Surprised Houston has looked so bad the first two games. Golden State still looks like a machine.

Teams like the Lakers make me wonder why Donte Greene isn't the NBA. :) J/K, they do look pretty weak.

I saw some of the first game, thought Randle would look better - not that he was awful or anything. Judging from his stats yesterday, he was pretty worthless in Game 2.

Today's the day, Calderon gonna absuse John Wall. Wall don't even know what kind of storm is heading his way!!

Nice win for the Knicks tonight - Melo was much more efficient on offense. Nice job by Galloway and Thomas as well. Good team effort.

Nice win for the Knicks tonight - Melo was much more efficient on offense. Nice job by Galloway and Thomas as well. Good team effort.
Reports of Melo's offensive demise were greatly exaggerated.

Excited for my Bucks to start off their season tonight (FIRST SEASON OPENER AT HOME IN 30 YEARS?!)

During the Knicks broadcast they mentioned that the Bucks requested this for years from the NBA to ensure the home opener on a Saturday night.

During the Knicks broadcast they mentioned that the Bucks requested this for years from the NBA to ensure the home opener on a Saturday night.

It's just so bizarre; much like the theory that the Bills have always asked the NFL NOT to put them in primetime games.

from 04-10, the Giants did not play at home on monday, per their request. in 08 we had a Thursday game, 1st week of the year...it was for a good cause...

the new Stadium was going up along side it and the Giants said the traffic nightmare of having a game on a work day would be an issue. the league acquiescence.

the jets didnt ask, i think they screwed with peoples commute quite often.

but back on the OP, my goal for the Knicks is 43 wins. id take 40, but would like to see them keep the losses in the 30s.

queue the laughter from you guys im sure, but i think its possible. and this was before they got 2 unexpected Wins, as well as tonights game...

from 04-10, the Giants did not play at home on monday, per their request. in 08 we had a Thursday game, 1st week of the year...it was for a good cause...

the new Stadium was going up along side it and the Giants said the traffic nightmare of having a game on a work day would be an issue. the league acquiescence.

the jets didnt ask, i think they screwed with peoples commute quite often.

but back on the OP, my goal for the Knicks is 43 wins. id take 40, but would like to see them keep the losses in the 30s.

queue the laughter from you guys im sure, but i think its possible. and this was before they got 2 unexpected Wins, as well as tonights game...

I agree with a 43-win goal. They'll, for sure, take a number of beat downs, but this team is solid. Just waiting to see how long before Fish benches Calderon for Grant. Once he makes that move and Afflalo comes back, we should hit another level.

We'll see. I'm not going to overreact to the first couple games. I think 35ish is probably a realistic win-expectancy for the Knicks this year, but it's possible they could do better than that.

Is there any team I root for that doesn't get openly b*tchslapped by the refs!?

This Spurs/Knicks game is a joke.

Goodness I nominate Billy King for Executive of the Year. The Nets look like one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA with no future cap space for 2 years and they don't have a first round pick for the next 3 years.
King is going to fuel the Celtics turnaround.

Is there any team I root for that doesn't get openly b*tchslapped by the refs!?

This Spurs/Knicks game is a joke.

That goaltending on Porzingis was such a stupid call. It was wrong and it wasn't even close. But even if it had been close, it still would've been a stupid call. It was a clear missed shot and an uncontested rebound the guy was grabbing.

Big call too.

The second foul on Porzingis was awful too. Duncan literally just ducked/leaned into him and then faded back and they gave it to him. Porzingis didn't do anything. That was a hall of famer getting the benefit of the doubt on a rookie.

I agree with a 43-win goal. They'll, for sure, take a number of beat downs, but this team is solid. Just waiting to see how long before Fish benches Calderon for Grant. Once he makes that move and Afflalo comes back, we should hit another level.

Those guards are still rough. Afflalo will help. But it's still not a pretty picture in that backcourt. Calderon is physically shot. Nobody else has a clue how to run a team.

Those guards are still rough. Afflalo will help. But it's still not a pretty picture in that backcourt. Calderon is physically shot. Nobody else has a clue how to run a team.

You hope Afflalo will help, but he's coming off probably his worst season in which he really didn't help his teams at all.

You hope Afflalo will help, but he's coming off probably his worst season in which he really didn't help his teams at all.

I can't imagine him not being an upgrade from Sasha, whose name I hadn't heard in about 5 years, and who was never any good in the first place.

I like what I see out of Grant so far but he really needs to slow down. He's already playing more minutes than Calderon and I can see him starting by the end of the year. After seeing them actually compete against the Spurs I am optimistic about a .500 record. Their biggest problem seems to be that they have a stretch when the jumpers aren't falling and there is no plan B. The triangle is not getting them any cuts to the hoop and there is no post up game to speak of. It's still too much iso for my liking. I'd say Melo needs to get his butt down on the block but he's not finishing through contact did the refs are not giving him anything. If it had been Lebron and not Melo that Leonard had been guarding yesterday Leonard would have fouled out. But Melo as usual gets no protection from the refs.

I still don't like the D... They don't switch on anything and it's hurting them against good teams with lots of movement. But I do like Fishers sub patterns.

I like what I see out of Grant so far but he really needs to slow down. He's already playing more minutes than Calderon and I can see him starting by the end of the year. After seeing them actually compete against the Spurs I am optimistic about a .500 record. Their biggest problem seems to be that they have a stretch when the jumpers aren't falling and there is no plan B. The triangle is not getting them any cuts to the hoop and there is no post up game to speak of. It's still too much iso for my liking. I'd say Melo needs to get his butt down on the block but he's not finishing through contact did the refs are not giving him anything. If it had been Lebron and not Melo that Leonard had been guarding yesterday Leonard would have fouled out. But Melo as usual gets no protection from the refs.
I still don't like the D... They don't switch on anything and it's hurting them against good teams with lots of movement. But I do like Fishers sub patterns.

Please, the Carmelo-gets-hosed-by-the-refs-while-LeBron-is-coddled whining is so tired and the stuff denial is made of. Leonard manhandled Carmelo, only way the refs could have helped him woulda been if Dolan had greased their palms. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/11/3/9664178/kawhi-leonard-highlights-spurs-knicks-carmelo-anthony

Last edited:
Please, the Carmelo-gets-hosed-by-the-refs-while-LeBron-is-coddled whining is so tired and the stuff denial is made of. Leonard manhandled Carmelo, only way the refs could have helped him woulda been if Dolan had greased their palms. http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/11/3/9664178/kawhi-leonard-highlights-spurs-knicks-carmelo-anthony
Leonard played good defense on Melo and Melo is still coming off an injury but, in general, OrangeFoo is absolutely correct in terms of Melo not getting calls. Case and point, I think it was Ginobili who lost the ball, Melo and Manu dove for it, foul on Melo. Refs don't call that stuff on anyone let alone star players.

Leonard played good defense on Melo and Melo is still coming off an injury but, in general, OrangeFoo is absolutely correct in terms of Melo not getting calls. Case and point, I think it was Ginobili who lost the ball, Melo and Manu dove for it, foul on Melo. Refs don't call that stuff on anyone let alone star players.

That was the Mike Breen special; he loves saying how in that situation you can basically jump on a guy and no foul gets called. So he was shocked for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom