Knicks! (and other NBA action) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Knicks! (and other NBA action)

Leonard played good defense on Melo and Melo is still coming off an injury but, in general, OrangeFoo is absolutely correct in terms of Melo not getting calls. Case and point, I think it was Ginobili who lost the ball, Melo and Manu dove for it, foul on Melo. Refs don't call that stuff on anyone let alone star players.

I think in general, Melo gets treated the same way as any other star in the NBA. He drew fouls a much higher percentage of the time when he was in Denver and attacked the rim relentlessly, whereas he's turned into more of a jumpshooter in New York, and as a result, his free throw rate has dwindled.

Looking at the numbers for Melo, LeBron, Harden, Kobe, and my man Giannis (his free throw rate is very high due to his relentless attacking style), Melo is on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of free throw attempts per field goal attempt at the rim, but he's basically tied with LeBron (1.12 FTA compared to 1.26 FTA). For comparison's sake, Kobe averages 1.8 FTA per shot at the rim, Harden is at 1.81, and Durant is at 1.94. Melo's rate has actually increased since going to New York from 1.03 to 1.41 per shot at the rim, but he simply doesn't attack as much as he used to, so his overall free throw rate has declined.

Defensive fouls is a different argument and I have no way to really calculate anything in that regard, but just from watching him compared to LeBron for example, Melo just flat out fouls more. He's much sloppier as a defender (has nothing to do with a simple 50/50 ball situation, but still).

I think in general, Melo gets treated the same way as any other star in the NBA. He drew fouls a much higher percentage of the time when he was in Denver and attacked the rim relentlessly, whereas he's turned into more of a jumpshooter in New York, and as a result, his free throw rate has dwindled.

Looking at the numbers for Melo, LeBron, Harden, Kobe, and my man Giannis (his free throw rate is very high due to his relentless attacking style), Melo is on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of free throw attempts per field goal attempt at the rim, but he's basically tied with LeBron (1.12 FTA compared to 1.26 FTA). For comparison's sake, Kobe averages 1.8 FTA per shot at the rim, Harden is at 1.81, and Durant is at 1.94. Melo's rate has actually increased since going to New York from 1.03 to 1.41 per shot at the rim, but he simply doesn't attack as much as he used to, so his overall free throw rate has declined.

Defensive fouls is a different argument and I have no way to really calculate anything in that regard, but just from watching him compared to LeBron for example, Melo just flat out fouls more. He's much sloppier as a defender (has nothing to do with a simple 50/50 ball situation, but still).

Melo has actually been a more efficient offensive player for the Knicks than he was with Denver, and that's with his percentage of Assisted Field Goals Dropping from 54 to 32%. He turns the ball over less and shoots it better now than he did earlier in his career, has a higher assist percentage, and higher rebounding percentage. He and Kobe have very similar stats across the board for their career.

Melo has actually been a more efficient offensive player for the Knicks than he was with Denver, and that's with his percentage of Assisted Field Goals Dropping from 54 to 32%. He turns the ball over less and shoots it better now than he did earlier in his career, has a higher assist percentage, and higher rebounding percentage. He and Kobe have very similar stats across the board for their career.

The turnovers are probably related to more ISO's, I guess? But he is getting more assists so maybe not, maybe he's just better with the ball now.

If you throw out his first 2 years when he was learning the league, he's basically at a 55% true shooting with Denver and the Knicks. Seems like he's traded some foul shots for 3 pointers

The turnovers are probably related to more ISO's, I guess? But he is getting more assists so maybe not, maybe he's just better with the ball now.

If you throw out his first 2 years when he was learning the league, he's basically at a 55% true shooting with Denver and the Knicks. Seems like he's traded some foul shots for 3 pointers

For whatever reason he never really shot the ball well in Denver from three. 31%. His 2nd-4th years in the league he was near 26%. He's been around 38% with the Knicks.

Leonard played good defense on Melo and Melo is still coming off an injury but, in general, OrangeFoo is absolutely correct in terms of Melo not getting calls. Case and point, I think it was Ginobili who lost the ball, Melo and Manu dove for it, foul on Melo. Refs don't call that stuff on anyone let alone star players.

Melo has had 2 fouls called on him while diving for loose balls this year, and both were horrible calls. Very odd calls.

For whatever reason he never really shot the ball well in Denver from three. 31%. His 2nd-4th years in the league he was near 26%. He's been around 38% with the Knicks.
Carmelo obviously worked on improving his shooting from deep after going over to the dark side.;)

Carmelo obviously worked on improving his shooting from deep after going over to the dark side.;)

"Shows how selfish and lazy he is. 3's are worth more than 2's, so he practiced 3's so he could get more points on fewer baskets." - STEVEHOLT's next post.

And the weird thing is it happened right away. The year he was traded, he shot 33% from 3 in Denver and 42% as a Knick. he was back down to 33.5% the next year, but 38 and 40 the next 2. I think some of it may have been playing in the D'Antoni system that encouraged him to shoot? Because he didn't just make a higher percentage, he took more as well.

You're ignoring all of those times where Melo is in the post and gets the living beat out of him without getting fouls. There were three or four times when Melo got mugged in the post against the Spurs... yes Leonard got the ball but he was getting hammered in the torso/waist area. Lebron gets hammered his fair share but depending on who reffing he'll get a lot of those calls. Last year in the NBA finals was a perfect example of him getting a ton of calls in the early games but what's weird is in the closing games he wasn't getting those same calls when Iguadola was guarding him. The inconsistency of refs is a big problem still in the NBA.

"Shows how selfish and lazy he is. 3's are worth more than 2's, so he practiced 3's so he could get more points on fewer baskets." - STEVEHOLT's next post.
Damn it, don't encourage him.

You're ignoring all of those times where Melo is in the post and gets the living beat out of him without getting fouls. There were three or four times when Melo got mugged in the post against the Spurs... yes Leonard got the ball but he was getting hammered in the torso/waist area. Lebron gets hammered his fair share but depending on who reffing he'll get a lot of those calls. Last year in the NBA finals was a perfect example of him getting a ton of calls in the early games but what's weird is in the closing games he wasn't getting those same calls when Iguadola was guarding him. The inconsistency of refs is a big problem still in the NBA.
Carmelo's problem is that he absorbs a lot of contact in the post without reacting like he was whacked in the head with a two by four.

I agree, and in college as well. I think that they should get together and write down the official rules and then have the referees enforce those rules and not just pick and choose which ones to enforce. They should have thought of this a long time ago.

I think this is much more likely than Melo not getting the same calls as his peers. And I think Melo's immense strength compared to someone like Durant for example plays a role as well, along with the fact that he simply doesn't attack the interior of the defense as much as he used to/as much as his peers tend to.

This Knicks team can pass the ball! The bigs are all advanced passers for their size. Gotta keep taking high quality shots.

After last season this is so much fun!

I think it was last year but I read Melo had one of the highest secondary assist rates. He finds the open man which causes the defense to shift and he finds the wide open man. So Melo doesn't get credit for the complete defensive breakdown.

The Knicks get zero easy baskets. Nothing in the post, and nothing in transition. Their whole offense is jump shots.

The Knicks get zero easy baskets. Nothing in the post, and nothing in transition. Their whole offense is jump shots.
Between watching the Knicks and Cuse I'm gonna feel like a WNBA fan.

He needs to play closer to the bench right now.
Your best post ever, bro, great line, perfect timing. You're crackin' me up over here!

Knicks look way better than they did last year. Love the kid from Latvia!

What's up, though, with LeBron and Love's Pron 'staches?

How tf is Calderon playing so much!?

Is this going to be an every game thing where Knicks fans have to collectively lose their minds over this Fisher obsession with the worst starting point guard in the history of the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom