Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Latest I know: and there are 6 Scenarios being looked at...

Alsacs - really? To me the B1G looks desperate - they just picked up 2 money losing schools. Is that the best they can do? I would fire Delaney for making such a piss poor decision here. And while I dont question Rutgers for leaving, but who is Maryland fooling - themselves.
No, the B1G bought TV sets this all about the money. The ACC is big trouble and they have to get rid of ND now or they will become Big East 2.0 in a year. The B1G wants ND and the only thing protecting ND is having a parasitic home for their non-football programs force ND and Pitt into the B1G. It keeps UVA, VPI, Ga. Tech and hope the SEC goes to Oklahoma and Okie State as 15 and 16. Then ACC can go after KU, K-State, Texas, Texas Tech ideally and give Texas whatever the hell they want keep all the LHN money and give them X number of games on LHN each year in conference this all about survival.

Let's be honest here, the ACC is DONE unless Notre Dame jumps in. They won't join the ACC so the ACC should force ND into the B1G now to prevent 2 ACC teams from jumping into the B1G. That would lock the B1G at 16. The SEC would then probably go to 16. The SEC would look at Oklahoma, Okie State, Virginia Tech,Florida State, Clemson, and Texas \ for 2 slots. Locking the SEC at 16 teams. The ACC and Pac-12 would then divide the B12 scraps and boom goes the dynamite.

Great take. The B1G is going to war with the ACC in order to try to get Notre Dame into the B1G. The ACC needs to fight a defensive war against the B1G, while understanding that only it or the Big 12 can survive. Raiding the Big 12 directly isn't a viable option for the ACC, so it needs to think a few moves ahead and try to set in motion a chain of events that leads to the Big 12's collapse.

Great take. The B1G is going to war with the ACC in order to try to get Notre Dame into the B1G. The ACC needs to fight a defensive war against the B1G, while understanding that only it or the Big 12 can survive. Raiding the Big 12 directly isn't a viable option for the ACC, so it needs to think a few moves ahead and try to set in motion a chain of events that leads to the Big 12's collapse.

Then we want ND in the Big 10. That only leaves room for one more ACC team (say, UNC) to join. The ACC looks vulnerable, so the SEC pounces and scoops up FSU and Clemson (or NC State). The Pac-12 responds by plucking the Oklahoma and Kansas schools from the Big 12 (which is also vulnerable after missing out on FSU plus one). That leaves 10 teams in the ACC and six in the Big 12. The two conferences merge.

Then we want ND in the Big 10. That only leaves room for one more ACC team (say, UNC) to join. The ACC looks vulnerable, so the SEC pounces and scoops up FSU and Clemson (or NC State). The Pac-12 responds by plucking the Oklahoma and Kansas schools from the Big 12 (which is also vulnerable after missing out on FSU plus one). That leaves 10 teams in the ACC and six in the Big 12. The two conferences merge.
Can't wait for that game against Iowa State. The Redbirds!

Just as it was in the BE, any and all lifelines begin with conference leech Notre Dame. For us, its deja vu all over again.

Yes, but I think the B1G would go ND/Pitt for geographic purposes. UNC would only go if ND wasn't going to B1G. The SEC MAY want UNC and VPI. for new markets. Leaving FSU,Clemson,UVA,Duke,Miami,BC,SU,NCSU,Wake,Ga.Tech as a solid 10. When the P-12 would go after UT,TT, OU,OSU that would leave KU, K-State, TCU, WVU, Baylor and Iowa State their is your final 16 team conference.

Yes, but I think the B1G would go ND/Pitt for geographic purposes. UNC would only go if ND wasn't going to B1G. The SEC MAY want UNC and VPI. for new markets. Leaving FSU,Clemson,UVA,Duke,Miami,BC,SU,NCSU,Wake,Ga.Tech as a solid 10. When the P-12 would go after UT,TT, OU,OSU that would leave KU, K-State, TCU, WVU, Baylor and Iowa State their is your final 16 team conference.
How many time zones is that?

Add UL/UConn right now..get to 15/16

Then talk about Cincy and USF or UCF to get to 17/18

Get ESPN on board...inventory, inventory, inventory

After we get to 17/18..now here is where it gets good...With 18 you have two separate 9 team divisions in FB. Play 6 in/3 out each year...go back to 9 games for FB. 8 games would work too but scheduling is messy. The winners meet in ATL, Charlotte or Yankee Stadium.

You'd have to play all 8 team in your division every year. NCAA rules.

Might as well just play 11 conference games + Colgate every year.

That's more like a worst case scenario for the ACC. You can't look vulnerable, even in forcing ND's hand one way or another. You'd have to have a quick response to scoop up Louisville and begin targeting Big 12 schools, perhaps in conjunction with a Pac 12 raid of the Big 12.

I think VPI and NC State to the SEC is more likely than VPI and UNC.

You'd have to play all 8 team in your division every year. NCAA rules.

Might as well just play 11 conference games + Colgate every year.

I don't think so...why would you?

That's more like a worst case scenario for the ACC. You can't look vulnerable, even in forcing ND's hand one way or another. You'd have to have a quick response to scoop up Louisville and begin targeting Big 12 schools, perhaps in conjunction with a Pac 12 raid of the Big 12.

Worst-case scenario for the ACC starts with FSU, Clemson, Miami and GT to the Big 12.

Add UL and ND as full time members.
Add Navy for football only
Add G'Town or St Johns for all other sports.

1-ND
2-FSU
3-Clemson
4-VT
5-UVA
6-VaTech
7-UNC
8-NCST
9-Duke
10-Wake Forest
11-Syracuse
12-Pitt
13-GT
14-Navy football only
15-UL
16-BC

That's what I think works. Navy would help get ND in, plus a Navy/G'Town hybrid membership would effectively replace the DC market impact of losing Maryland.

If Swofford has a brain HIS worst case scenario has to be losing 4 teams (Maryland, 2 SEC teams, another B1G team) and working on getting 6 Big XII teams and maintaining a seat at the table. The 2 SEC teams COULD come from the Big 12 as well if OU and Okie State saw A&M enjoying the SEC and wanted to join that. Worst scenairo you are losing FSU and Clemson to the SEC I doubt the SEC would want them because of Florida and So. Carolina wanting to own in-state recruiting, but say NC State and Virginia Tech became 15 an 16 and the B1G added Pitt as the 15 and Notre Dame is the 16.
You are looking at
Florida State(or Virginia Tech)
Clemson(or NC State)
Georgia Tech
Miami
No. Carolina
Duke
Syracuse
Boston College
Wake Forest
Virginia
as a 10 team base
The Big 12 will be destroyed by the Pac-12 eventually the Pac-12 will let Texas keep its LHN under the Pac-12 banner
Texas
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
go to the Pac-12 and form a division with Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State.
That leaves
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
TCU
West Virginia
Baylor
to join up with the ACC 10 and you have the final 16 conference and you have your 4 team playoff.

The scenarios presented here are hurting my head. How did I get back here? That's making me sadder than anything else. Serenity now...

I guess the B1G should just finish the job and add ND and SU. I'll be waiting by the phone tonight.

That's what I think works. Navy would help get ND in, plus a Navy/G'Town hybrid membership would effectively replace the DC market impact of losing Maryland.

If you weren't a Syracuse fan you wouldn't be mentioning Georgetown and the ACC in the same sentence. There's no way anybody else in the ACC cares at all about Georgetown.

I don't think so...why would you?

(c)
Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS]
A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two
divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

You have to play everyone in your division to determine a true divisional champion.

If you weren't a Syracuse fan you wouldn't be mentioning Georgetown and the ACC in the same sentence. There's no way anybody else in the ACC cares at all about Georgetown.

Actually, I'm a Duke fan living in the DC area.

Thanks Arb - I appreciate your tid bits.

As to point# 5. If people think Vandy would leave the SEC, then why not offer a school like Kentucky or Tennessee?

I thought the same thing, but UK will never leave SEC for hoops. They own it.

(c)
Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS]
A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two
divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;

You have to play everyone in your division to determine a true divisional champion.

Poop...you need the game to boost RPI.

Actually, I'm a Duke fan living in the DC area.

That obviously surprises me... I still don't think there'd be much conference-wide interest, though, nor do I think it's a good move to start bringing in basketball-onlies as much as I'd love to see SU and Georgetown playing every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom