Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Lawrence announced as Clemson starter / Bryant transferring

Bryant may tell Coach Swinney that he doesn't want to play, in order to preserve his redshirt for a potential transfer.

If he does choose to play out the season, then he'll play a couple of meaningful drives. Even Cole Stoudt was allowed that when Watson surpassed him, and he wasn't nearly as good as Bryant is. But when it's nut-cutting time, i.e. a close game in the 2nd half, it'll be all Lawrence.

The other Clemson poster who was suggesting it would be a fairly even split then they'd go with the hot hand is wrong, IMO.

I base this on having watched how Coach Swinney has run his program for 10 years now.

Bryant may tell Coach Swinney that he doesn't want to play, in order to preserve his redshirt for a potential transfer.

If he does choose to play out the season, then he'll play a couple of meaningful drives. Even Cole Stoudt was allowed that when Watson surpassed him, and he wasn't nearly as good as Bryant is. But when it's nut-cutting time, i.e. a close game in the 2nd half, it'll be all Lawrence.

The other Clemson poster who was suggesting it would be a fairly even split then they'd go with the hot hand is wrong, IMO.

I base this on having watched how Coach Swinney has run his program for 10 years now.
If he's on the bench with his uniform on, he's not transferring. He could get the starting job at some SEC schools or maybe Ohio St or some other NC level team.

If he's on the bench with his uniform on, he's not transferring. He could get the starting job at some SEC schools or maybe Ohio St or some other NC level team.
You know a lot about Clemson!

Dabo gave the emotional press conference, I'm only drawing out some reasonable conclusions.
Literally every press conference involving Coach Swinney is emotional.

I'm not saying he can't/won't transfer, but I don't believe that being in uniform on Saturday means he won't.

Literally every press conference involving Coach Swinney is emotional.

I'm not saying he can't/won't transfer, but I don't believe that being in uniform on Saturday means he won't.
If he's on the bench with his uniform on, he's one play away from going in and that's the end of any transfer ideas. I don't watch many press conferences (Too Theatrical) , but Dabo is saying how much he loves him and how he wishes his son could be as good a man as Bryant, it makes me think things are on a hair's edge.

If he's on the bench with his uniform on, he's one play away from going in and that's the end of any transfer ideas. I don't watch many press conferences (Too Theatrical) , but Dabo is saying how much he loves him and how he wishes his son could be as good a man as Bryant, it makes me think things are on a hair's edge.
Because you think those comments are indicative of anything at all, I believe you 100% when you say you don't watch many Coach Swinney press conferences.

By the way, Bryant wouldn't be the only player dressing out who Clemson is trying not to use in a game. We have a LB who we're trying to redshirt, but he dresses for every game (including road trips) because we're trying to save his 4 games for emergencies.

By the way, Bryant wouldn't be the only player dressing out who Clemson is trying not to use in a game. We have a LB who we're trying to redshirt, but he dresses for every game (including road trips) because we're trying to save his 4 games for emergencies.
Well, we'll find out by Saturday.

Yeah they made this change because it’s a good confidence game for him. Our secondary is still highly suspect without the DEs going off. Expect a lot of curls and backdoor throws on Fredrick and some bombs on the other side if the DL has a bad day.

Yeah they made this change because it’s a good confidence game for him. Our secondary is still highly suspect without the DEs going off. Expect a lot of curls and backdoor throws on Fredrick and some bombs on the other side if the DL has a bad day.
You are bringing back awful memories of a 35-7 half and Scott Shafer spazzing out like a fool on the sidelines.

I don’t think it was us at all. The kid was clearly better.

The more I read about it the more I wonder if it was done to give Kelly the opportunity to transfer and keep his eligibility. He has supposedly missed practice the last two days. Crazy I know but it does make you wonder.

So, he missed practice today too? that's not good, just from a team optics view.

The more I read about it the more I wonder if it was done to give Kelly the opportunity to transfer and keep his eligibility. He has supposedly missed practice the last two days. Crazy I know but it does make you wonder.
What...you didn't read that thread on Tigernet that said today is his birthday so he was given the day off. ;)

Reactions: gbo
gbo If Lawrence would sustain an injury and not be able to play what do you think Dabo would do? Beg Bryant to play?

gbo If Lawrence would sustain an injury and not be able to play what do you think Dabo would do? Beg Bryant to play?
Bryant has graduated so he can leave now. My guess is Dabo is telling him he is still going to play in every game and is a valuable part of the team. The starting job isn't locked in stone. Lawrence could come out against you guys and be terrible and it's Bryant's team again.

If Bryant leaves then the backup is Chase Brice. He's a good time but has played a limited role.

Bryant has graduated so he can leave now. My guess is Dabo is telling him he is still going to play in every game and is a valuable part of the team. The starting job isn't locked in stone. Lawrence could come out against you guys and be terrible and it's Bryant's team again.

If Bryant leaves then the backup is Chase Brice. He's a good time but has played a limited role.
I didn't realize that Bryant had already graduated. That does make the situation "interesting". I think Clemson still has to release him if he wants to transfer.

It appears that I may have egg on my face. When the announcement to start Lawrence came, I was sure that Bryant saw it coming from spring practice and would take it in stride - knowing that there was still plenty of playing time in his future. I was wrong.

I hope Kelly takes another day to think this over and come back to the team. Lawrence clearly has the raw talent but Kelly is a proven leader and we need him.

He gone.
Well this is good for us. Any inner team turmoil is a net positive for us and if it's true he's missed practices there's gonna be sides taken with this situation being a MAJOR distraction and that means the potential for internal dissension within the team. Regardless with all this going on it will result it a misdirection of energy on their part and at least a partial lack of focus on us. Awesome.

Add this to our vast improvement on both sides of the ball, 12 noon start with a hoped for a sleep walking team and fan base initially, the team knowing they beat them last year with essentially the same personnel, the feeling of being dissrespected and given no chance by pundits, etc with the no respect 21 point spread, well all this bodes well for us, or at least improves our odds for success.

Preseason I gave us a 0% chance of winning this game, earlier this week I gave us a 10% chance of an upset, now with all this going on that's up significantly. Catch them flat footed out of the gate, smack down the young qb a few times early, force or get an early turnover and it's game on.

This is gonna be interesting.....

Edit: ohh yeah, just read their board, it's already causing major turmoil and dissension over there. Yeah baby my % for our success just went up to 40+%!

Last edited: