Class of 2015 - LB Troy Henderson JR (OH) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 LB Troy Henderson JR (OH) Signed LOI

the Cleveland school would be a great school to get an in to.

I posted about the rented golf cart rides the other day on the regular Rutgers thread.

Henderson to decide July 4 and he says it's btw Syracuse and Buttgers. He makes some interesting comments about Syracuse. He also says he has an idea of where he's going.

Syracuse: "It's a little bit closer to home. The head coach is from Ohio -- Painesville, Ohio. That's a plus. My position coach was my recruiting coach. He's the one who called me and offered me. He came to see me like twice in a week just working out, so that's a plus. I know they are graduating like five linebackers this year, so that's a plus. It's a top marketing school, so that's a plus. I like their dome, so that's a plus. Their dorm rooms are really nice, maybe even better than Rutgers. It was really nice. And another plus is they have a lot of commitments. I know they have two (New) Jersey guys, so that's kind of big. When I saw (Daiquan Kelly) pick Syracuse and not going to Rutgers, that was big. That could play a factor in my decision. I really like the position coach, I like him a lot. We have a real good relationship, so that's a huge plus. And they were like my fourth offer, so that was a plus."

On the Big 10 / ACC

When comparing the two conferences his two finalists play in, he had this to say: "The Big Ten, I want to get back at those teams that didn't offer me, so that's kind of where I stand at with that," he said. "And the ACC is cool. I'll be able to travel, play in North Carolina – go to Atlanta and play – play in warm weather all the time. That would be kind of cool. They play in the dome, so it wouldn't be that cold. The only cold games I would have to play are Pitt and Boston College, so that's kind of cool."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...e_after_saturdays_visit_to_decide_july_4.html

I will say this about him, he measured 6-0 215 at buttgers. Clearly his size holds him back from the big 10 offers, but he cranked out 225 20 times. Kid is jacked and likes to hit, will fly around the field and make plays. We project him at SAM. Might be a good fit here.

Last edited:
Henderson to decide July 4 and he says it's btw Syracuse and Buttgers. He makes some interesting comments about Syracuse. He also says he has an idea of where he's going.

Syracuse: "It's a little bit closer to home. The head coach is from Ohio -- Painesville, Ohio. That's a plus. My position coach was my recruiting coach. He's the one who called me and offered me. He came to see me like twice in a week just working out, so that's a plus. I know they are graduating like five linebackers this year, so that's a plus. It's a top marketing school, so that's a plus. I like their dome, so that's a plus. Their dorm rooms are really nice, maybe even better than Rutgers. It was really nice. And another plus is they have a lot of commitments. I know they have two (New) Jersey guys, so that's kind of big. When I saw (Daiquan Kelly) pick Syracuse and not going to Rutgers, that was big. That could play a factor in my decision. I really like the position coach, I like him a lot. We have a real good relationship, so that's a huge plus. And they were like my fourth offer, so that was a plus."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...e_after_saturdays_visit_to_decide_july_4.html

That's a plus.

no matter what. Its a great article for us. It shows the progress we are making in Jersey and its driving rutgers fans nuts!!!!! I love it. It will be even better if henderson picks us but I dont think he does. Not sure how much we want him. Its nice being in position to give rutgers our back up plans.

NashvilleOrange said:
My guess is that if NJ.com is doing a spotlight on him now, he's headed to RU. They still haven't put up anything regarding Daiquan Kelly, well other than Troy's passing quote in this article.

It's odd that there is so much left in there that's a plus for us. Usually, they strip all that out. Interns.

On the Big 10 / ACC

When comparing the two conferences his two finalists play in, he had this to say: "The Big Ten, I want to get back at those teams that didn't offer me, so that's kind of where I stand at with that," he said. "And the ACC is cool. I'll be able to travel, play in North Carolina – go to Atlanta and play – play in warm weather all the time. That would be kind of cool. They play in the dome, so it wouldn't be that cold. The only cold games I would have to play are Pitt and Boston College, so that's kind of cool."

I will say this about him, he measured 6-0 215 at buttgers. Clearly his size holds him back from the big 10 offers, but he cranked out 225 20 times. Kid is jacked and likes to hit, will fly around the field and make plays. We project him at SAM. Might be a good fit here.

This is a great article for us. I can imagine Toad's pain when typing the part about Kelly choosing Cuse.

I really like Henderson. He would have definitely been ours if we didn't cool on him for whatever reason. As NashvilleOrange mentioned I don't like how Toad did a spotlight on him, but that could have been when he knew Henderson was going to choose Rutgers since at the time of his visit Cuse wasn't really involved. Obviously with Dawson choosing Purdue we have a spot, I just hope it's not too late.

This is a great article for us. I can imagine Toad's pain when typing the part about Kelly choosing Cuse.

I really like Henderson. He would have definitely been ours if we didn't cool on him for whatever reason. As NashvilleOrange mentioned I don't like how Toad did a spotlight on him, but that could have been when he knew Henderson was going to choose Rutgers since at the time of his visit Cuse wasn't really involved. Obviously with Dawson choosing Purdue we have a spot, I just hope it's not too late.

I'm thinking Toad went with all those Syracuse pleasantries in the article knowing full well Henderson is picking buttgers. That way it will come across as a bigger win for them - like he was leaning Cuse until the mighty buttgers machine won him over. I don't know if we cooled on him, but we woulda taken a commit from Dawson.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Toad went with all those Syracuse pleasantries in the article knowing full well Henderson is picking buttgers. That way it will come across as a bigger win for them - like he was leaning Cuse until the mighty buttgers machine won him over. Fact is, by all accounts Syracuse has cooled on him in their pursuit of bigger fish.

It also could have backfired on him because apparently Cuse is back involved. This would be ultimate kick in the balls if we can land him.

Toad also wrote an article today about jersey LB Chapelle Cook with Cuse mentions. Cook says he wants to get up to visit Cuse since we're close to offering. He's been offered by BC, Pitt, Temple and Rutgers.

It also could have backfired on him because apparently Cuse is back involved. This would be ultimate kick in the balls if we can land him.
With Dawson off the board we might let him commit. Which would be awesome in Rutgers' face.

I'm just going to say it, some of the comments on Henderson have turned into exactly what we poke fun of with Rutgers. When there is a chance that he may choose Rutgers over SU, some all of a sudden feel as if we've backed off and he is a plan B. I haven't read any evidence of this. This also holds true with Dawson among others who choose any other school other than us. The reality is that we will not have a 100% closure rate on the commits we have at the top of our board. My point is...we win some, we lose some, just let it play out and ultimately the players who want to be here will be. Just as HCSS presents to all the recruits.

I'm just going to say it, some of the comments on Henderson have turned into exactly what we poke fun of with Rutgers. When there is a chance that he may choose Rutgers over SU, some all of a sudden feel as if we've backed off and he is a plan B. I haven't read any evidence of this. This also holds true with Dawson among others who choose any other school other than us. The reality is that we will not have a 100% closure rate on the commits we have at the top of our board. My point is...we win some, we lose some, just let it play out and ultimately the players who want to be here will be. Just as HCSS presents to all the recruits.

If you actually read the threads those with the best access to this type of information stated SU wanted Dawson but Henderson was a plan B.

It was said that we havent kept contact. And he actually wanted to commit but SU wasnt ready to accept it. Dont know how true that is but I know he was raving about his visit to Cuse and he was going to make a decision right after that but didnt. If he goes to Rutgers its because of the lack of contact that was made this past month or so. Not sure so sure it will be because Rutgers knocked his socks off. If you read Toad Hunts's article you can tell he likes SU alot. It was alot more positive things said about SU and he just visited Rutgers and its a Rutgers writer to interviewed him. We will see Friday

I guess my question is if this is a plan "B" recruit why are we working so hard on locking him him up so early? Its July 2nd and we are almost done with out class minus a few of the bigger recruits we are going after. The HS football season has not even begun and there are plenty of very good kids out there that we can get involved with (the 4* LB from Ohio we are now working on for example), and im sure a number who will have "grown into their shoes" so to speak. Is this a plan B kid? Or is this plan A 2.0?

IMO Dawson appears to be the better player. He's faster with better closing speed. I think Dawson was a big loss, he looks like a great talent. You can't get every guy you recruit. every kid has different criteria for what they want in a school. Purdue got them selves a good one. Henderson looks like a good player but with 7 months until signing day I think SU can afford to be more selective going forward. I would look for other options but I'm not the coaching staff

When was the last time Henderson visited Syracuse? Has he been back since the spring game?