LeMoyne College exploring move to D1 | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College exploring move to D1

I don’t know, that’s a tough call. I’d rather tell my grandkids I beat Duke in the NCAAT than won baby nationals. Every one shining moment
I don't think that would be true for most people. I don't think anyone who has ever won such a championship considers it a 'baby' anything.

I quit the Naz lax team back in '91, the year before they won the NC. We had scrimmaged SU that fall of '90, to something like a 12-14 score, I even played for a few seconds, and heck, we certainly didn't consider ourselves a baby anything. Those guys were inducted into the Rochester sports hall of fame a few years back and they didn't do it with an asterisk (champs, but some DI team woulda beat us).

My nephew won two basketball state championships in HS, in the religious school league. While certainly a public school would have beat them, they don't consider themselves a baby anything.

Interesting question, but I might rather be buried with a championship ring, than with an epitaph that says 'Our beloved was a benchwarmer on the 4th 15th seed to beat a 2 seed, which eventually lost by 9 in the regional finals to a team who lost by 7 in the semifinals to a team that lost by 3 in the championship.'

Last edited:
He hasn't given it a second thought since that night
Yup. Flynn and Harris wanted to play man that year. JB knew it was stupid and left the team playing man anll game against LeMoyne to show them they were wrong.

SU would have won by 30 had they played zone all game. LeMoyne only advantage was their little guys were faster than our much bigger guys.

JB threw away an exhibition game to get his team to buy into playing zone all the time. It worked, annd the team had a very good season.

Yup. Flynn and Harris wanted to play man that year. JB knew it was stupid and left the team playing man anll game against LeMoyne to show them they were wrong.

SU would have won by 30 had they played zone all game. LeMoyne only advantage was their little guys were faster than our much bigger guys.

JB threw away an exhibition game to get his team to buy into playing zone all the time. It worked, annd the team had a very good season.
Flynn and Harris weren't on the team. It was the first year Wes was eligible. Unless he was making a point to the returning players who played with Jonny and Paul.

If Le Moyne can put together a competent baseball program why can’t Syracuse? Do we really not have the funds to compete in the ACC? BC was a top 20 team this season.

Yeah I’m actually surprised the ACC has never pushed this. We’re the only conference member without a baseball team (although maybe they like it because it gives them an even number of teams).

If Le Moyne can put together a competent baseball program why can’t Syracuse? Do we really not have the funds to compete in the ACC? BC was a top 20 team this season.

If you don't mind playing the 1st two months of the season on the road, sure.

Add Baseball and Women's Gymnastics, and call it a day. Just don't ask me how we pay for all of it.

Baseball, Swimming and Diving, Wrestling, Ice Hockey. Blame it on Title IX and the overall lack of athletic funding.

If you don't mind playing the 1st two months of the season on the road, sure.

Add Baseball and Women's Gymnastics, and call it a day. Just don't ask me how we pay for all of it.

I believe Le Moyne usually starts playing home games in late March, so about a month or so into the season. Most every northern program does the same, so if they can make it work, so can SU.

Maybe, but they have a few solid portal guys that came in and Cooley is a really good coach. Le Moyne is gonna still be playing with D2 players, despite their D1 status.
Several portal transfers came in May. Existing D2 guys had a lot of D 1 experience before transferring to D 2 Lemoyne. Their best player also played for Siena and Bryant. 75% of the roster they posted this week has D 1 experience.

Several portal transfers came in May. Existing D2 guys had a lot of D 1 experience before transferring to D 2 Lemoyne. Their best player also played for Siena and Bryant. 75% of the roster they posted this week has D 1 experience.

Good point, although not at the level of what Georgetown brought in. They have transfers from Texas, UNC, Illinois and Kansas State, three of whom were 4 star recruits out of high school. Would still be a pretty sizable upset if Le Moyne were able to beat them.

Good point, although not at the level of what Georgetown brought in. They have transfers from Texas, UNC, Illinois and Kansas State, three of whom were 4 star recruits out of high school. Would still be a pretty sizable upset if Le Moyne were able to beat them.
Cooley will right the ship, but it'll be interesting to see what happens in that first game.