LeMoyne College exploring move to D1 | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

LeMoyne College exploring move to D1

Not to be that guy but while Lemoyne has a really good D2 team they don't have many guys who are ready to play at the Power D1 level ie ACC, B10, and IVY. There's a reason why when SU and Lemoyne used to scrimmage in the pre-season SU's starters were out by the 2nd quarter if they played at all.

Yes that was partially my point. They are a perennial powerhouse at the D2 level. If D1 programs were going to be poaching their kids, it would’ve already been happening and wouldn’t take something like this to spur it on.

As a Le Moyne grad, I'd rather see the basketball team win a conference championship and win one game in the NCAA tournament than win a D2 or D3 championship.

Why?

Would you really want your school to never win a national championship again?

Why?

Would you really want your school to never win a national championship again?

The exposure generated by one first round tournament 15-2 upset would be worth 10 D2 titles.

The exposure generated by one first round tournament 15-2 upset would be worth 10 D2 titles.

But the glory is fleeting. A championship is there forever.

Is D2 going to disappear at some point in the near future?

Always seemed like an oddball group of schools and I never really understood the appeal. I know they can give some athletic scholarship that D3 can’t, but it’s my understanding that’s pretty limited.

D3 seems way more appealing than D2 - there’s a chit ton more schools (including a lot of elite, name brand liberal arts colleges), and probably just as (if not more) competitive in a lot of ways.

Always seemed like an oddball group of schools and I never really understood the appeal. I know they can give some athletic scholarship that D3 can’t, but it’s my understanding that’s pretty limited.

D3 seems way more appealing than D2 - there’s a chit ton more schools (including a lot of elite, name brand liberal arts colleges), and probably just as (if not more) competitive in a lot of ways.
I agree. However the NCAA is a pretty useless organization so it will continue to limp on (D2).

It's definitely a big part of the reason Le Moyne is jumping to D1. D2 became a less viable option for them over the last decade.

At least as far as lacrosse goes, there is good money in D2, for the great and high academic players. A friends kid got basically a full ride at Embry Riddle. Way more money than D3, and money that is just not available in D1, where you have Tewaaraton winners getting half a scholarship.

This same kid apparently (don't know for sure) had interest from Yale, but there was no way in the world the dad could afford what they would have to pay so they never gave it serious thought. But at Embry Riddle, the kid has like $5K left over each year. He was a HS academic all american and would have been top 10 scoring in the state of FL all time, if it were not for Covid.

More people nationwide remember LeMoyne beating Syracuse than their nattys in lacrosse.
Just a guess, but more people remember Hobart for their 10 straight DIII nattys than they do for anything they have done in D1. But, I will defer to the Hobart grads on this one.

Definitely would concede on the hoops side, a 15-2 upset in march madness is important to fans. However, I would think that a player would rather have that DII natty than that 1 big win in DI.

That said, this is pretty exciting for LeMoyne. Hopefully they will draw some good teams to come play them locally.

D-2 is for schools larger than the "elite, name brand liberal arts colleges" that do want to give scholarships but can't afford the number required for D-1 status or the probable financial aid numbers that going D-3 would require. D-2 football allows a total of 36 scholarships and can grant partials. FBS allows 85 scholarships and must be full. FCS allows a total of 63 scholarships and can grant partials.

I have heard that Rollins, the #1 team in the D-2 southern lacrosse bracket, is a bad example of a D-2 school because they would like to be D-3 because of their small size, but there are few, if any other D-3 schools in Florida. Here's the link to the Sunshine State Conference, which is D-2. You can see most of the schools are bigger than most D-3 schools.

I'm not the biggest fan of the current LeMoyne president and this reeks of her "vision".

But good luck to them, I know some local kids going to play (not basketball) there this coming season with the expectation that they'll move to D1.

Definitely would concede on the hoops side, a 15-2 upset in march madness is important to fans. However, I would think that a player would rather have that DII natty than that 1 big win in DI.

I don’t know, that’s a tough call. I’d rather tell my grandkids I beat Duke in the NCAAT than won baby nationals. Every one shining moment

D-2 is for schools larger than the "elite, name brand liberal arts colleges" that do want to give scholarships but can't afford the number required for D-1 status or the probable financial aid numbers that going D-3 would require. D-2 football allows a total of 36 scholarships and can grant partials. FBS allows 85 scholarships and must be full. FCS allows a total of 63 scholarships and can grant partials.

I have heard that Rollins, the #1 team in the D-2 southern lacrosse bracket, is a bad example of a D-2 school because they would like to be D-3 because of their small size, but there are few, if any other D-3 schools in Florida. Here's the link to the Sunshine State Conference, which is D-2. You can see most of the schools are bigger than most D-3 schools.
I hear ya, though one of New York’s name brand D3 schools (NYU) has an undergraduate enrollment 10x the size of Le Moyne. A lot of the endowments at these D3 schools would blow away the D2 schools.

You did inspire me to research a bit and I did not even realize there was D2 football. I also did not realize how regional D2 and D3 are (lack of D3 schools in southeast, west). I clearly have a northeast bias.

I hear ya, though one of New York’s name brand D3 schools (NYU) has an undergraduate enrollment 10x the size of Le Moyne. A lot of the endowments at these D3 schools would blow away the D2 schools.

You did inspire me to research a bit and I did not even realize there was D2 football. I also did not realize how regional D2 and D3 are (lack of D3 schools in southeast, west). I clearly have a northeast bias.
I coach at a D2 school in the New York, and I can tell you that D2 is a lot bigger out west and down south. While many of the programs around here are working with very limited scholarships and facilities, there are dozens of D2s in the west, midwest, and south with scholarships and facilities that blow away any non-power 5 school. On the flip side, D3s in the northeast tend to be much better than schools elsewhere in the country, so there is for sure some regionality to it.

I always laugh at people who say that endowment money should be used to reduce tuition. There are so many strings attached to endowments that they rival the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Kansas. Money given to endowments can only be spent on what the donor specifies as its beneficiary, such as professorships, scholarships, new dorms, etc. (if the donor makes a specification). Spending endowment money on sports or reducing tuition, if it has any sort of other string attached, will result in a lawsuit that the schools would invariably lose for violating the contract.

I can still talk about and vividly remember tourney upsets from years ago - Valparaiso or VCU or Richmond (gulp). I couldn't tell you who won the D2 basketball championship two months ago.

If Lemoyne had won the D2 national title two years ago, would you remember that? If you get a 15/2 upset will there be a banner in the rafters hanging next to the 6 lacrosse national championships to commemorate it? Will it be bigger than the championship banners?

Last edited:
I've got no problem with LeMoyne and hope they do well but let's put them on the basketball schedule every year and pound them by 30 or more. 20 straight years or so of getting walloped should wash off the pseudo loss in the famous exhibition game.

I've got no problem with LeMoyne and hope they do well but let's put them on the basketball schedule every year and pound them by 30 or more. 20 straight years or so of getting walloped should wash off the pseudo loss in the famous exhibition game.

SU did beat Le Moyne by like 50 the year after the upset.

Used to say the same about Colgate.