LeQuint Allen is Back | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

LeQuint Allen is Back

What I learned in college about private university kangaroo judicial boards:

Deny everything and cover up as much as you can. Even if you aren’t at fault they can still penalize you for conduct unbecoming a student. The whole system is a joke. Anything you say can and will literally be used against you.

We were literally told during one case that the Constitution doesn’t apply in judicial board hearings if you can believe that one.

And the other part of this, this is ruining his college life as a student and athlete, ruining his future possibly as a nfl player and potentially costing him millions. This is why I don’t see him coming back because the anger I would have toward the university, zero percent chance they are getting my skills set. I cannot believe this is all real.

Did you vent to the receptionist or got through to the chancellor?
No one is going to get through to the Chancellor. All calls are screened by the receptionists. They just pass on the gist of the other messages.

Great advice.

And while we're at it, let's shut down the whole goddamn Greek system at colleges.

Frats and sororities are cesspools.
Six Presidents of the US since WW2 and 44% of Presidents all time were in fraternities. Once you get past the party animals there are a lot of great qualities learned by being in Greek life.

I know its not for everyone, but go to schools out of the historically liberal Northeast or go to HBCU schools and Greek life is much more structured and embraced.

I fully understand why some people have your opinion, but trust me when I say most fraternities, and of course there are exceptions, but most create the same or less issues for colleges than independent students or sports teams. Remember we are talking about 18 to 22 year old kids away from home for the first time. You don't need to pledge to cause trouble.

What I learned in college about private university kangaroo judicial boards:

Deny everything and cover up as much as you can. Even if you aren’t at fault they can still penalize you for conduct unbecoming a student. The whole system is a joke. Anything you say can and will literally be used against you.

We were literally told during one case that the Constitution doesn’t apply in judicial board hearings if you can believe that one.
Sounds like a NCAA notice of allegations defense.

If and when the curtain gets pulled back on this, i expect it's gonna be ugly for SU

Which is why letting this linger is idiotic. Kent needs to address it quickly, reverse course and engage in an internal review and improvements within this process before that rock is completely flipped over publicly.

That doesn't fix it for those hurt by it in the past but hopefully there is time to address that where possible too.

Four of us sent a certified letter to Kent. It outlined the fact that we thought based on what has been published that LA situation warranted a complete review. We also asked that he hire firm that is professionally qualified to review the entire process as it seems to be broken. Lastly, we asked him to take a leadership role and to get in front of this situation, to do the right thing by LA and especially on behalf of Syracuse University. We also put into the letter how much in aggregate we have contributed to Syracuse University over the last 10 years. The letter was sent by my father and signed by all of us.
In addition, I sent an email on behalf of our group which was replied to with a form response.
This is a mature approach that can have good results, I commend you for it. Unfortunately, most of the time it is responded to with such a form letter response that tells you nothing, and it ends there.

I have to deal with some of these entrenched administrator types, and there is definitely a type of admin that is serving some internal clientele and does not empathize with the desires of their actual clients.

Listened as well, pretty much clowned the university and had LAs back.

They charged his with 3rd degree assault, a class A misdemeanor. His lawyer presented evidence not initially available and negotiated it from a possible year in jail to 6 months' probation. "There was a strong likelihood that he was not guilty of anything and was factually innocent."

He's had experiences with the University's judicial board in the past and regarded them as "a 'star chamber' where the accused finds himself like the hero of a Kafka novel. On what planet are these people living? They exist in their own universe. This is a Jersey kid. That's not the way life is. ...I'm the professional. They are not."

"The other kid was not charged because this was a college fight. On my scale of notoriety, it's at the bottom. A first-year law student could drive a truckload of reasonable doubt through a jury in 30 seconds. Criminal justice can't handle this type of case, with one guy picked out to prosecute. A few years ago we had a complaint about four basketball players that was completely non-prosecutable. The young lady took it to an SU Professor who through he knew more about it than me. We had to submit it to a grand jury."

"It's ridiculous that the attorney is not allowed to participate and that the accused is responsible for making sure the victim is in court when he had an order of protection, (part of the probation), preventing any contact."

"Nobody wins a bar fight...This isn't even a crime. It's an unprovable allegation...This kid works with local kids. I have an understanding with Coach Babers: "Is this a kid worth saving or is her bad for the program who should be prosecuted?"

He cited a report by Judge John Centra, (sp?) for a few years back saying that "there should be some balance of due process, which you can't have with no live witnesses and the attorney can't ask questions. It's about fairness. You're kicking away this kid's education and his career. For what? For What?"

That understanding with Coach Babers is a bit concerning. Should his evaluation of the value of the player (on or off the field) be a factor in whether he gets prosecuted for a crime? Other than that, Fitz hit it out of the park.

Which is why letting this linger is idiotic. Kent needs to address it quickly, reverse course and engage in an internal review and improvements within this process before that rock is completely flipped over publicly.

That doesn't fix it for those hurt by it in the past but hopefully there is time to address that where possible too.
All he has to do is release a statement saying that the process is or will be reviewed. That will appease 50% of the people.

And the other part of this, this is ruining his college life as a student and athlete, ruining his future possibly as a nfl player and potentially costing him millions.
It's really not sitting right with me that they may have removed the possibility for him participating in higher education from this point forward in his life because he knocked a dude's tooth out.

What did you write? I can't find catie's e-mail, but it would likely c[ANY LETTER]carroll @ syr.edu
I don't think anyone should be emailing Catie at this point. I don't think it'll be a good look (may come across as intimidating), and if anything, this is above her. The process is flawed.

That understanding with Coach Babers is a bit concerning. Should his evaluation of the value of the player (on or off the field) be a factor in whether he gets prosecuted for a crime? Other than that, Fitz hit it out of the park.

I don't find that last part concerning at all. Is he a bad egg or not. People know and imo, it should be a factor.

I don't think anyone should be emailing Catie at this point. I don't think it'll be a good look (may come across as intimidating), and if anything, this is above her. The process is flawed.
Yep. This has been going on for multiple Dean of Students and student review boards. The process has never been about looking at the facts and always has been pre-determined.

I'm really worried that somebody will threaten the 'investigator', members of the board or the punchee and actually take action on that threat. That would be a way of making this situation worse. Much worse. We need reform, not tragedy.

They charged his with 3rd degree assault, a class A misdemeanor. His lawyer presented evidence not initially available and negotiated it from a possible year in jail to 6 months' probation. "There was a strong likelihood that he was not guilty of anything and was factually innocent."

He's had experiences with the University's judicial board in the past and regarded them as "a 'star chamber' where the accused finds himself like the hero of a Kafka novel. On what planet are these people living? They exist in their own universe. This is a Jersey kid. That's not the way life is. ...I'm the professional. They are not."

"The other kid was not charged because this was a college fight. On my scale of notoriety, it's at the bottom. A first-year law student could drive a truckload of reasonable doubt through a jury in 30 seconds. Criminal justice can't handle this type of case, with one guy picked out to prosecute. A few years ago we had a complaint about four basketball players that was completely non-prosecutable. The young lady took it to an SU Professor who through he knew more about it than me. We had to submit it to a grand jury."

"It's ridiculous that the attorney is not allowed to participate and that the accused is responsible for making sure the victim is in court when he had an order of protection, (part of the probation), preventing any contact."

"Nobody wins a bar fight...This isn't even a crime. It's an unprovable allegation...This kid works with local kids. I have an understanding with Coach Babers: "Is this a kid worth saving or is her bad for the program who should be prosecuted?"

He cited a report by Judge John Centra, (sp?) for a few years back saying that "there should be some balance of due process, which you can't have with no live witnesses and the attorney can't ask questions. It's about fairness. You're kicking away this kid's education and his career. For what? For What?"

I didn't interpret the ask of Babers' opinion in quite the same way.

So I don't think now is the time to speculate about him wanting to transfer. It seems like he is getting a ton of support within and from out. It's also clearly been escalated. Let's see how this plays out. Clearly Allen has allot of love for the staff and program. No need to speculate he is gone yet or for that matter recruiting is damaged beyond repair. It's very possible this turns out in his favor and he stays because he has developed strong relationships.
If the decision is not changed, I do not see him returning to SU for the Spring 2024. As it stands, SU is the best chance he plays ball in the fall. What other options does he have? Could he walk-on at Rutgers with in-state tuition? Transfer Portal is not open until December 2023. If he plays JUCO, he'll use up eligibility there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom