Let's find out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let's find out

Should this be Shafer's last year?

• Yes- fire him now or as soon as the season is over

Votes: 131 69.3%
  • No, give him another year and see if things get better

Votes: 58 30.7%

• Total voters
as i had posted i am all in on the youth movement, and i hope that it continues with the new recruits. hcss is not the guy to make that happen. his game management is horrible, use of personnel (on offense)is poor. he is not a head coach. great guy. he has reached his ceiling

I see two big problems with the logic of firing Shafer:

The team lacks experienced depth at key positions. The coaching staff is responsible for recruiting players to fill that depth, but Shafer has only had two full recruiting years. He was hired a month before signing day in 2013. Thus, the lack of junior and senior depth is mostly not his fault. If that were still to be true one year and especially two years from now, then it would definitely be his fault.

This is a well coached team. I’m not seeing a team that’s quit. I am seeing a team badly outmatched in key positions where the starters are freshman against quality opponents with experienced players who know how to exploit the mismatches. Typically if you’re so thin of experienced, quality depth that you have to start freshmen, you’re almost always going to get bad results against quality competition until that freshmen depth develop in future years. Yet despite that, we almost beat UVA and Pitt while starting a freshman QB. Both teams with far greater experienced depth. In fact we lead most of the way against both of these teams.

If the players quit on the coaches between now and the end of the year that could spell Shafer’s dismissal. Otherwise, I think SU will keep Shafer for at least another year because the arguments for dismissal are pretty weak. The bad coaching argument doesn’t hold water because you’re dealing with too many freshman starters who are going to make mistakes. The ‘he can’t recruit’ argument doesn’t hold water either because he’s only had two years to recruit as HC.
Define well coached team? We have the 13th ranked offense in the ACC and 14th ranked defense.

We get worse in the 2nd half and don't make adjustments. We are +16 in the first half and -36 in the second half. We get worse in the 2nd half I don't get how that makes us well-coached.

That is just not valid for the offense. We only have 2 freshmen starting on offense. Louisville and Pitt are younger as is Wake Forest who is improving. The O Line is very experienced.

At some point we have to look at the facts on the field. Our offensive scheme simply doesn't work. It is time to go hire an experienced staff with proven record of success.

Go get Dino Babers and light up the dome.
Amen.

I want to see how the team looks next 3 weeks before I decide. I keep going back and forth

I want to see how the team looks next 3 weeks before I decide. I keep going back and forth

I think our AD feels the same way. Doesn't matter what we think.

007 said:
I'll bet he already has a good grasp of what needs to be done.

Double down, baby!

I see two big problems with the logic of firing Shafer:

The team lacks experienced depth at key positions. The coaching staff is responsible for recruiting players to fill that depth, but Shafer has only had two full recruiting years. He was hired a month before signing day in 2013. Thus, the lack of junior and senior depth is mostly not his fault. If that were still to be true one year and especially two years from now, then it would definitely be his fault.

This is a well coached team. I’m not seeing a team that’s quit. I am seeing a team badly outmatched in key positions where the starters are freshman against quality opponents with experienced players who know how to exploit the mismatches. Typically if you’re so thin of experienced, quality depth that you have to start freshmen, you’re almost always going to get bad results against quality competition until that freshmen depth develop in future years. Yet despite that, we almost beat UVA and Pitt while starting a freshman QB. Both teams with far greater experienced depth. In fact we lead most of the way against both of these teams.

If the players quit on the coaches between now and the end of the year that could spell Shafer’s dismissal. Otherwise, I think SU will keep Shafer for at least another year because the arguments for dismissal are pretty weak. The bad coaching argument doesn’t hold water because you’re dealing with too many freshman starters who are going to make mistakes. The ‘he can’t recruit’ argument doesn’t hold water either because he’s only had two years to recruit as HC.

Well coached team? I'd like to hear your reasoning as to how? Sure this team is young, but so are a bunch of other programs in our conference. The major difference? Their young guys have improvedas the season has progressed, and throughout their careers. Who exactly is improving for Syraucse? imo that is a definition of a poorly coached team.

You can also play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game both ways. We coulda got beat by CMU, but pulled one out in OT. We coulda and shoulda lost to Nova last year. Take those 2 wins away, and we have a grand total of a whopping 4 wins in 2 seasons.

I also don't buy into the whole played hard thing. Everybody plays hard. What I see is us getting down and then rolling over. It happened against FSU, and again vs Louisville. Once things started going bad it was a wrap. It was like oh no here we go again! When we get down there is no confidence, and no way we're going for the comeback win.

The way I see it there is no hope for Syracuse with Shafer as the head guy. Honestly I am shocked there are still staunch Shafer supporters. Then again the ones that are left i'm sure you could just insert a name as Syracuse Head Coach and they would still support it. I just don't see any ceiling what so ever. Can people honestly ever think this program could be a 9 or 10 win team with Shafer as the HC. It will take a monumental effort for anyone to do that at Syracuse. So to think Shafer could get it done after what we have seen the past 3 seasons is to put it mildly, blindly faithful.

My answer is that I am going to put my faith in the AD to make the correct choice here, and will stand with what he decides. I think he is the right guy, so I have to believe he knows what to do here. We also do not know what the plans are for the Dome and how that could impact the whole picture here. "Loyal be thy sons and daughters" Been loyal for many years. I believe that the right decision is the one that will be made.

Define well coached team? We have the 13th ranked offense in the ACC and 14th ranked defense.

We get worse in the 2nd half and don't make adjustments. We are +16 in the first half and -36 in the second half. We get worse in the 2nd half I don't get how that makes us well-coached.

My assertion is that these problems are not coaching quality, it's talent level and experience.

While watching the SU vs. FSU game the announcers commented that the FSU coaches told them that SU is a well coached team and proceeded to show them examples. The announcers said they could tell the FSU coaches really meant it. You can be well coached and get overrun every week if you've got inexperienced and/or below grade talent. The opposite is also true. Mack Brown used to bring in top tier recruiting classes every year, but many years those classes performed below expectations. The same was true for many years at USC as well, until Pete Carroll came in and performed on the field at the level of the talent he was recruiting. Yes, these teams would typically crush an SU team in common years, but that doesn't mean they're well coached. They're winning off of pure talent of key players.

Yes, there are only two freshman starting on offense, but this season a few weeks back Shafer was saying 69% of the offense was running through freshman (much of that Dungey). We've all seen that Dungey is struggling to change the way he approaches the game. Yes, the offense was better when he played with reckless abandon. I'm skeptical he can work through this style change completely until spring ball. This is also the first year in a new offensive system so the experience of the other 10 guys, aren't worth as much.

Defensively we're starting 8 freshman & sophomores. We only have one senior starter on defense. Next year we'll be able to say we've got 10 returning starters on defense. I'd like to see how they look next year.

I also think Shafer and his staff must show they can recruit 4 star players. It's very difficult to exceed expectations by finding diamonds in the rough. However, to judge the program off of only two recruiting classes is too tough and will scare away the best coaching candidates anyway. Patience.

My assertion is that these problems are not coaching quality, it's talent level and experience.

While watching the SU vs. FSU game the announcers commented that the FSU coaches told them that SU is a well coached team and proceeded to show them examples. The announcers said they could tell the FSU coaches really meant it. You can be well coached and get overrun every week if you've got inexperienced and/or below grade talent. The opposite is also true. Mack Brown used to bring in top tier recruiting classes every year, but many years those classes performed below expectations. The same was true for many years at USC as well, until Pete Carroll came in and performed on the field at the level of the talent he was recruiting. Yes, these teams would typically crush an SU team in common years, but that doesn't mean they're well coached. They're winning off of pure talent of key players.

Yes, there are only two freshman starting on offense, but this season a few weeks back Shafer was saying 69% of the offense was running through freshman (much of that Dungey). We've all seen that Dungey is struggling to change the way he approaches the game. Yes, the offense was better when he played with reckless abandon. I'm skeptical he can work through this style change completely until spring ball. This is also the first year in a new offensive system so the experience of the other 10 guys, aren't worth as much.

Defensively we're starting 8 freshman & sophomores. We only have one senior starter on defense. Next year we'll be able to say we've got 10 returning starters on defense. I'd like to see how they look next year.

I also think Shafer and his staff must show they can recruit 4 star players. It's very difficult to exceed expectations by finding diamonds in the rough. However, to judge the program off of only two recruiting classes is too tough and will scare away the best coaching candidates anyway. Patience.
I could you give a detailed response like I have done numerous times but I am just going to say. You have your opinion I have my own and nobody is right or wrong. It is subjective.
I will just say we haven't recruited a 4 star kids under SS. We are 2-15 in our last 2 years against P5 teams and those 2 wins are against Wake.
We have gotten worse as the season progressed. That is coaching. We aren't scaring diddly away if we pay the next coach. If SS is the HC next year attendance will be pathetic. We have gone backwards.
Patience is laughable for this staff. SS has hired buddies from Western Michigan. Adam never coached OL in college before he was hired. Our OL has regressed. SS is supposedly to be a good secondary coach our secondary is not good.
Sorry I want to win games not pray for 6 wins next year and hear a bunch of excuses.

10-37-Gerg 4yrs
25-25-Marrone 4 yrs
13-21- SS 2.75 yrs

How often does a coach say, in public, that an opposing coach *isn't* good?

I'll hang up and listen.

I don't care who we have as a coach, I just want to win and watch a game that doesn't include: terrible tackling, dumb penalties, terrible clock management, and misuse of personnel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom