Lets play a series with UConn | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Lets play a series with UConn

I hate UConn as much as the next guy but to say that their 3 NC's aren't as good as SU's 2 Championship game losses because UConn beat Butler and Georgia Tech and SU lost to Indiana and Kentucky is so unbelievably stupid that I can't believe anyone even thought it, much less wrote it.

If the shoe was on the other foot and a fan of another school posed that to you, what would your response be? A Championship is a championship is a championship. Doesn't matter how you got there or who you beat. They got 3, we got 1. 3 is more than 1. End of argument.

Both schools have great winning basketball traditions, both schools can be ranked among the elite programs in division I hoops, but face it fellas - they've been better. More NC's, more BE Championships. There's no denying it.

Now - all that being said, I do agree (and hope) that their future is bleak.

While I agree, a win is a win is a win, the point the SU poster was making imho wasn't that 1 is somehow greater than 3, just that having to beat Indiana and UK (particularly those years #3 and #1 overall teams heading into the tournies, after we had already beaten the #2 and the #5 teams respectively in the Elite 8 rounds) may be why we have 1 to their 3.

Doesn't change the fact that 3 is indeed greater than 1, but any analysis of their three titles would show they beat #1 Duke in 1999 (but that was the only Top 10 team they faced in the tourney that year), #6 Duke in the semis 2004 (again the only Top 10 team they faced that year), and a wildly overranked San Diego State at #6 in 2011 (the only Top 10 team they played in the tourney in 2011.

The gall to me is not for them gloating about the 3 being greater than 1, but knowing the above (as they must since they are all so knowledgeable) and belittling our 2003 title as a fluke when we beat the #3, #5, and #6 ranked teams in the E8, FF, and NC game is laughable.

Cheers,
Neil

While I agree, a win is a win is a win, the point the SU poster was making imho wasn't that 1 is somehow greater than 3, just that having to beat Indiana and UK (particularly those years #3 and #1 overall teams heading into the tournies, after we had already beaten the #2 and the #5 teams respectively in the Elite 8 rounds) may be why we have 1 to their 3.

Doesn't change the fact that 3 is indeed greater than 1, but any analysis of their three titles would show they beat #1 Duke in 1999 (but that was the only Top 10 team they faced in the tourney that year), #6 Duke in the semis 2004 (again the only Top 10 team they faced that year), and a wildly overranked San Diego State at #6 in 2011 (the only Top 10 team they played in the tourney in 2011.

The gall to me is not for them gloating about the 3 being greater than 1, but knowing the above (as they must since they are all so knowledgeable) and belittling our 2003 title as a fluke when we beat the #3, #5, and #6 ranked teams in the E8, FF, and NC game is laughable.

Cheers,
Neil
You just sunk everyones battleship.

Cheers,
Neil

This is the most delusional delusion I have ever read on this delusional board.

I just assume you can't read. Or just lack comprehension. You're not worth anybodies time.

Its not really hard to imagine when its in a hugely popular movie ... you fukking idiot.

Ya but he said he was imagining EVERY UConn fan doing it. That is a lot of people to imagine doing it.

Therein lies the rub, and the one point the UConn fanbase cannot refute.
Their 2 bball teams have performed great, but if on-field performance was the criteria, they would've been scooped up by now.
Location, location, location is what matters- see; B1G in New Jersey, Snooki State U.
View attachment 5866

Yup. It's disheartening to go though as a lifelong fan. I remember listening in my bedroom to Joey Whelton beating URI or Maine to Earl Kelley single handedly beating SU in the Dome in my dorm room and being shocked by how far we had come. And then getting Calhoun and winning 3 NC? Unreal. Beyond any optimistic dream.

My parents took me to Alumni stadium the football team play UMASS and when I was in college, I would stumble out of bed and meet them at their seats to watch the second half and bum beer money off them. Then I got to watch them in person play in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Oklahoma. Unreal. Beyond any optimistic dream.

Last year, with Calhoun retiring, APR hitting, PP &GDL killing the FB team, and most of all, watching the Perfect Storm of conference realignment break EVERY SINGLE TIME against UCONN...

It was feeling a bit like Charlie Gordon in Flowers for Algernon and imagining everything slipping away. Dark days.

But now, Ollie is breathing new life into the program. He is recruiting at a very high level and while I never doubted him as a leader of men, I've been even more impressed by how well he has one on the X and O side of things. I feel pretty good about our BB program. I think we have a big enough name to be successful. The AAC makes recruiting tougher, but we can get enough good players to come.

In FB, we can't afford complacency so we are going to be making a splash with our next FB coach. We'll be paying more than Penn St, SU, RU, BCU or Pitt. Hopefully, we get our money's worth. I do think out of BC, SU, RU, Pitt & UCONN, the program with the best coach will have the best team on the field. That's the way its been.

If these two boards ever came together it would turn into green street hooligans.

Ya but he said he was imagining EVERY UConn fan doing it. That is a lot of people to imagine doing it.

Dude, you need a life. Both fan bases are good at getting under the other's skin, but I think I've seen one poster from over here trolling your board and that was a couple posts. The anger/passion on both sides shows what a great rivalry we have. You'll live in the past and try to convince yourselves that things will be fine in the AAC (and they might be as there are plenty of instances of strong programs from lower conferences). You'll tell yourselves that we're just like BC (given their two ACC CG appearances, I would kill to be just like BC in football since they've joined the ACC) and we will fall off a cliff once JB retires. That may or may not happen, but we have the things that make kids want to play SEC football and that will give us a chance to hire whoever we want if Hopkins fails: the biggest stadium and passionate fan base that fills up arenas around the country.

So at this point I hope we can settle this at MSG in March in the Elite 8.

If your program is better than SU's, you have two things going for you. 3 to 1 and 13 to 5 by the numbers you all calculated yourself. Those two things clearly were not enough to consider your program elite enough to warrant an invitation from another high major BCS conference. Is there anything else to talk about? I mean in regards to the future you have mediocre recruiting classes coming in and a team your own fans highly over rate. All of your best wins don't look so hot going forward.

Speaking of delusional here are some of the mighty UConn claims...

- Ollie is bringing in an "incredible" recruiting class
- Carmelo was not a good player
- The 2003 run was nothing but luck
- Storrs is a better hoops facility than the Carrier Dome
-Hopkins is a bad recruiter and an awful potential replacement
-Florida ( a team now with no healthy PG's) is a win that will be huge by season end along with the win over IU
-Your 2011 run was not a miracle and was more difficult than our 2003 run
-Your football team can buy its way back into contention
- Syracuse is irrelevant
-Syracuse regularly chokes in the tournament

should I go on... ?

Yup. It's disheartening to go though as a lifelong fan. I remember listening in my bedroom to Joey Whelton beating URI or Maine to Earl Kelley single handedly beating SU in the Dome in my dorm room and being shocked by how far we had come. And then getting Calhoun and winning 3 NC? Unreal. Beyond any optimistic dream.

My parents took me to Alumni stadium the football team play UMASS and when I was in college, I would stumble out of bed and meet them at their seats to watch the second half and bum beer money off them. Then I got to watch them in person play in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Oklahoma. Unreal. Beyond any optimistic dream.

Last year, with Calhoun retiring, APR hitting, PP &GDL killing the FB team, and most of all, watching the Perfect Storm of conference realignment break EVERY SINGLE TIME against UCONN...

It was feeling a bit like Charlie Gordon in Flowers for Algernon and imagining everything slipping away. Dark days.

But now, Ollie is breathing new life into the program. He is recruiting at a very high level and while I never doubted him as a leader of men, I've been even more impressed by how well he has one on the X and O side of things. I feel pretty good about our BB program. I think we have a big enough name to be successful. The AAC makes recruiting tougher, but we can get enough good players to come.

In FB, we can't afford complacency so we are going to be making a splash with our next FB coach. We'll be paying more than Penn St, SU, RU, BCU or Pitt. Hopefully, we get our money's worth. I do think out of BC, SU, RU, Pitt & UCONN, the program with the best coach will have the best team on the field. That's the way its been.

Finally, a practical answer. With all that said the key is going to be you finding a high major conference that will accept you. Ollie can work his tail off and the state can spend oodles on football but you have to be able to offer recruits the opportunity to play against the best. That opportunity does not exist. If you can get out of the AAC and find a permanent home among some of the blue bloods you can get back to sustainable success in Hoops. Football who knows as you just don't have the legacy there.

I have to agree.

We have 1 to their 3 because we won once and they won three times. Simple as that. They say our 2003 is a fluke. Everyone here says their 2011 was a fluke.

It doesn't matter who SU played and who UConn played. People remember championships much more then how they were acquired.

The 1986 Mets were one of the best teams in baseball history. They won 108 games while running roughshod through the National League. They came within a whisker of losing both the NLCS and the WS. Does anybody give the Astros or Red Sox championship-caliber credit for pushing that juggernaut of a Mets team to the brink? Nope. Do the Mets get any less credit for their championship because they weren't nearly as dominant in the post-season as they were in the regular season? Nope. Would there have been a ticker tape parade for the Mets had they lost either of those series? Nope. Did the Astros or Red Sox get a parade? Nope.

The Mets won by the skin of their teeth over two 'inferior' opponents. The Mets are remembered as World Champs and the Astros and Red Sox are footnotes to the 1986 postseason. Mets won, those teams lost.

UConn won their championship games, Syracuse lost theirs. Championships over (arguably) lesser teams are somehow equal to second-place finishes to superior teams? Come on.

And I'll add one more thing - I don't believe that any win in the NCAA Tournament is a cheap win. Every team in the tourney has had an above average to great season and the vast majority are coming into the tourney playing very well. Pedigrees don't really carry that much weight that time of year.

I have to agree.

We have 1 to their 3 because we won once and they won three times. Simple as that. They say our 2003 is a fluke. Everyone here says their 2011 was a fluke.

It doesn't matter who SU played and who UConn played. People remember championships much more then how they were acquired.

The 1986 Mets were one of the best teams in baseball history. They won 108 games while running roughshod through the National League. They came within a whisker of losing both the NLCS and the WS. Does anybody give the Astros or Red Sox championship-caliber credit for pushing that juggernaut of a Mets team to the brink? Nope. Do the Mets get any less credit for their championship because they weren't nearly as dominant in the post-season as they were in the regular season? Nope. Would there have been a ticker tape parade for the Mets had they lost either of those series? Nope. Did the Astros or Red Sox get a parade? Nope.

The Mets won by the skin of their teeth over two 'inferior' opponents. The Mets are remembered as World Champs and the Astros and Red Sox are footnotes to the 1986 postseason. Mets won, those teams lost.

UConn won their championship games, Syracuse lost theirs. Championships over (arguably) lesser teams are somehow equal to second-place finishes to superior teams? Come on.

And I'll add one more thing - I don't believe that any win in the NCAA Tournament is a cheap win. Every team in the tourney has had an above average to great season and the vast majority are coming into the tourney playing very well. Pedigrees don't really carry that much weight that time of year.

Again, NO ONE is saying 1 is greater than 3. I sure hope you don't have an SU degree since you definitely need to work on reading and comprehension, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Again, NO ONE is saying 1 is greater than 3. I sure hope you don't have an SU degree since you definitely need to work on reading and comprehension, imho.

Cheers,
Neil

Don't be mean.

I have to agree.

Noble as your efforts are, perhaps you ought to reread (or, just read) what has been posted in this thread.

Going into the game with UCONN, Butler was 10-1 in the NCAA tourney over the previous two years and in 2011, had already beaten a 1, 2 & 4 seed. They were a good, well coached team.

Going into the game with UCONN, Butler was 10-1 in the NCAA tourney over the previous two years and in 2011, had already beaten a 1, 2 & 4 seed. They were a good, well coached team.

lol

Gordan Heyward had left. And hes better than Jesus Shuttlesworth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom