Ligashesky Heading to Minnesota | Syracusefan.com

Ligashesky Heading to Minnesota

I don't think this is much of a loss. Guy had a lot of promise coming in, but our special teams seemed to not improve under him and may have gotten worse. To many procedural penalties.

Get Out No GIF

punt coverage is also a reelection of your talent. Unless you play all 1st teamers, as depth goes down so will the quality of the coverage teams.

We wont know much too soon, but It would seem we have better athlete upgrades already. Lets hope so,

I love the idea of having a dedicated special teams coach because it can be a real advantage if you know what you're doing. But Bob didn't appear to be the answer. I wasn't impressed at all with our performance while he was here.

I love the idea of having a dedicated special teams coach because it can be a real advantage if you know what you're doing. But Bob didn't appear to be the answer. I wasn't impressed at all with our performance while he was here.

I'm starting to wonder about the dedicated ST coach these days. Seems like a big portion of specials (KO returns and KO coverage) is almost nonexistent in this era of club footed kickers, and fair catches that give you the ball on the 25.

So with this departure do we still have one more open coaching position? Any names been floated around we don't already know about?

Seems to me there is a set of teams that can block punts and many who cant. Thats where some film study needs to be done on what the successful teams are doing

Block Fgs either the DLine gets a push, the kicker is bad, or you have the quick twitch guy who can turn the corner.. Again its film study to see if teams are blocking well all the time.. Still mostly luck to get one.

You can only practice onside kicks so much, even if the kicker does it well its still mostly blind luck to make it work.. The only other question is timing of ones no one suspects..

kickoff coverage the few times a kick is short you have to be ready.

then decide what to do on squibs.

Punt coverage can be taught but again how much time to you devote to it is a key given the limited amount of hours.

I remember reading one of the new assistants has special team’s coaching experience and did well.
That would be Robert Wright.

Georgia does not use one of their 10 assistant positions on a special teams coach. Was kind of surprised when Coach Brown decided to keep Liggy.

It will be interesting to see what Coach Brown does now.

Georgia had a ST coordinator, analyst, and QC for Specials.

Fran will find someone here

I'm starting to wonder about the dedicated ST coach these days. Seems like a big portion of specials (KO returns and KO coverage) is almost nonexistent in this era of club footed kickers, and fair catches that give you the ball on the 25.
I won't argue some of the changes have lessened the impact of special teams. I hate to go back to Iowa again, but I watch all of their games along with Syracuse each weekend. Their special teams have been fantastic for several seasons. They had to be with the offense sucking as bad it did. :) But they had a big block punt against Nebraska and the players talked about how there was an opportunity to exploit in the Nebraska blocking scheme that the coach identified on film. Cooper DeJean has been a fantastic punt returner for them. Sure he has athletic ability but there's blocking involved also.

best special teams in the world - get a good kicker and a hang time punter and you got nothing to worry about.

I won't argue some of the changes have lessened the impact of special teams. I hate to go back to Iowa again, but I watch all of their games along with Syracuse each weekend. Their special teams have been fantastic for several seasons. They had to be with the offense sucking as bad it did. :) But they had a big block punt against Nebraska and the players talked about how there was an opportunity to exploit in the Nebraska blocking scheme that the coach identified on film. Cooper DeJean has been a fantastic punt returner for them. Sure he has athletic ability but there's blocking involved also.

They just needed more practice on their fair catch signal :)

If that punt return was called differently, they might have been the first 11-3 team in history whose 3 losses were shutouts by 26 or more points.

They just needed more practice on their fair catch signal :)

If that punt return was called differently, they might have been the first 11-3 team in history whose 3 losses were shutouts by 26 or more points.
Exactly. They're even better when not getting called for silly fair catch penalties :) They also went to Australia and found a punter who was actually really good, unlike our efforts Down Under with Max Von Marburg.

He's following the money at this point in his career and I wasn't impressed with him anyway.

Just a side note , when’s the last time we ran a fake punt or fake FG. I honestly can’t recall one in the last few years. ( But I’m getting old so maybe I just forgot ? )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom