Look at all the small guards in the final four | Syracusefan.com

Look at all the small guards in the final four

Its almost as if you don't need to be 6'4 and 6'6 in the back court to win?

Have we won anything with a tall point guard? We've missed some good guys because we need that length.

GMac was a limited PG in '03 who mostly just shot the ball and didn't make mistakes. He wasn't beating anybody off the bounce and wasn't dropping many dimes. His 3 point percentage was very good but we've had a handful of more efficient guards who were also bigger.

I love Gerry and nobody will ever match his cajones. He played better D than he gets credit for, and we all know he was unstoppable when hot. But from a pure production standpoint, the big guards we've had have been able to contribute at a similar or better level as one of our most notable small guards. The measurable stats are in favor of the taller guards (Frank excluded).

Jonny Flynn was electric and possibly the best offensive weapon at PG that we've had. Certainly top 3. How deep into the NCAAT did his teams go? How was the defense?

We can't have another Frank Howard at starting PG. We can certainly do fine, better than fine, with other 6'4" PGs. Andy was 6'4" and that team was pretty good.

GMac was a limited PG in '03 who mostly just shot the ball and didn't make mistakes. He wasn't beating anybody off the bounce and wasn't dropping many dimes. His 3 point percentage was very good but we've had a handful of more efficient guards who were also bigger.

I love Gerry and nobody will ever match his cajones. He played better D than he gets credit for, and we all know he was unstoppable when hot. But from a pure production standpoint, the big guards we've had have been able to contribute at a similar or better level as one of our most notable small guards. The measurable stats are in favor of the taller guards (Frank excluded).

Jonny Flynn was electric and possibly the best offensive weapon at PG that we've had. Certainly top 3. How deep into the NCAAT did his teams go? How was the defense?

We can't have another Frank Howard at starting PG. We can certainly do fine, better than fine, with other 6'4" PGs. Andy was 6'4" and that team was pretty good.

Gerry had a 2 to 1 A to TO ratio. Pretty good.

But the zone...it's all about wingspan and length. We don't need no stinkin' sub 6'4 guards who are lightening fast and can handle, penetrate, finish, dish, and oh yeah shoot. LOL.

Its almost as if you don't need to be 6'4 and 6'6 in the back court to win?
i'm a broken record about it but i can't be the only one watching these guys thinking these great players wouldn't succeed in a zone.

people freak out when opponents' guards make shots and yell about the zone. i yell about the zone when our guards can't make shots.

Feel like quick guards have been the key ingredient to FF success since those Arizona teams with Bibby and Simon. Then there are all the UConn 'ships with great guards, and Nova lately...

Cassius Winston is anything, but quick. Skilled though.

can anyone think of a way to have success in the zone with smaller guards? is there something different we could do while still staying zone (it's more realistic to hope for that than anything else) - what can they do?

SU all time best guards been under 6-3...Vinnie, Dave who was more like 6-2 Duval, Kohls, Lee, bug Williams,
Douglas, McNamara and yes they played zone. Skill and brains pays dividends.

Gerry had a 2 to 1 A to TO ratio. Pretty good.
It's good, but the number of assists matters and that's not a stat he really racked up. For example, 2 assists and 0 turnovers is a great a/to ratio. Not a good stateline for a PG though.

It's good, but the number of assists matters and that's not a stat he really racked up. For example, 2 assists and 0 turnovers is a great a/to ratio. Not a good stateline for a PG though.

He averaged 4.4 a game. More than he did the next year.

can anyone think of a way to have success in the zone with smaller guards? is there something different we could do while still staying zone (it's more realistic to hope for that than anything else) - what can they do?

We had success in 2003, with a smaller guard.

We had success in 2012, with a smaller guard.

The way to do it is to recruit for the zone for all positions EXCEPT point guard. Don't sacrifice lead guard skill for height / length.

I'm afraid that since JB had success with MCW and then Gbinije, he's going to chase unicorns in hopes of finding the next 6-7 guy to play up top, ending up with a bunch of inadequate guard play along the way.

Guys with huge wingspans and are quick?

Guys with huge wingspans and are quick?

long ball handling shooters are unicorns - ha i didn't catch that rf used "unicorns" earlier

Last edited:
We had success in 2003, with a smaller guard.

We had success in 2012, with a smaller guard.

The way to do it is to recruit for the zone for all positions EXCEPT point guard. Don't sacrifice lead guard skill for height / length.

I'm afraid that since JB had success with MCW and then Gbinije, he's going to chase unicorns in hopes of finding the next 6-7 guy to play up top, ending up with a bunch of inadequate guard play along the way.
2003 was a bit weird - anthony is like some deus ex machina in Boeheim's story. i think that's the only way we really succeed in a big way - small forward cheat code. the defense wasn't that good that year

bazley was supposed to be that guy (probably not anthony but who is)

scoop was bigger and slower than a lot of the high scoring guards in this tournament

SU all time best guards been under 6-3...Vinnie, Dave who was more like 6-2 Duval, Kohls, Lee, bug Williams,
Douglas, McNamara and yes they played zone. Skill and brains pays dividends.

Would JB recruit Sherm today? Probably not, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom