LSU opens -3.5 / 72 | Syracusefan.com

LSU opens -3.5 / 72

up to 5.5 in places now. huge reaction to what LSU did to an AVG Ok team today.

the reality is that the NCAA needs to re-evaluate how they pick the 4 teams again. at Best OK is maybe a top 10 team.

the reality is that the NCAA needs to re-evaluate how they pick the 4 teams again. at Best OK is maybe a top 10 team.
Georgia got ripped by LSU in SEC Title. Utah QB was exposed as having High School passing abilities when Utah finally played a ranked team. OK was not really fourth best but they deserved the spot. Only team that could of competed w LSU is Bama who lost twice and beat zero ranked teams. Frankly if they made it they may as well stop the season after 4 games since Vegas will have enough intel on who the four best are.

Playing at home is going to be a huge edge for LSU. I got 6 points here which seems like an overreaction. OSU or Clemson would have curb stomped Oklahoma also

Some of this is perception of the ACC - it has always been a better FB conference than given credit for. I had a friend in 1990 who was finishing her master's degree in mathematics at FSU. She was my roommate for 3 months after her apartment lease ran out in May as my living room couch let out into a queensize bed. She had gotten her bachelor's degree from Maryland. When word came in August 1990 that FSU was joining the ACC - all sports in 1991 and FB in 1992 - Maria said about the other ACC teams in all seriousness "they're not creampuffs" and she was right as you all know. I recall FSU just getting out of Atlanta in 1992 with a 29-24 win over Ga Tech. It was like the 26-21 game against Cincinnati in 1979 up there when we were in the Metro - closer than you would think. She was right - the other ACC teams are not creampuffs.

Georgia got ripped by LSU in SEC Title. Utah QB was exposed as having High School passing abilities when Utah finally played a ranked team. OK was not really fourth best but they deserved the spot. Only team that could of competed w LSU is Bama who lost twice and beat zero ranked teams. Frankly if they made it they may as well stop the season after 4 games since Vegas will have enough intel on who the four best are.
teams lose or play poorly but go back to the body of work

Ok
played poorly against Tex/ KSu/ ISU/ Baylor twice
they played well in struggling wins vs OSU/WV/Hous/kansas
lost to TCU

they dominated UCLA and S. Dak

hardly a resume of a NC team

GA
dominated vandy/murry st/Ark St/kent/tenn/GT
played well in a struggling win vs ND/FL/Aub/Tex AM
lost to S.Car but dominated the stats in a close loss

got smoked by LSU but still were 20-30 pts better than OK.

GA is a TD fav against OK

OK would not be favored against LSU/Ga/Ala/Aub/FL so why did they get in ahead of any of them?

Ok
lost to TCU

GA

OK would not be favored against LSU/Ga/Ala/Aub/FL so why did they get in ahead of any of them?
Winning a conference title has to matter.
If Syracuse is ever lucky enough to win a conference title and goes 12-1 I think everyone should want a chance to go to the playoffs even if the metrics and eye test would obviously show teams with better talent.

Oklahoma may not be better than Georgia but Georgia got dominated by LSU just not as badly because their scheme didn’t allow LSU one on one matchups of a Safety on Jordan Jefferson and give up easy throws.

There wasn’t a quality 4th team this year. Georgia lost at home to 5-7 South Carolina losing that game is worse than losing at Kansas State.

Some years there will be a clear best two teams. Some years there will be three and some years five. What’s important is that a clear title contender is not left out. If your best argument is that you were the fourth best team, then I don’t have sympathy for you. This year, Bama and Georgia didn’t get it done so that’s on them. Doesn’t matter Oklahoma wasn’t deserving-they were the four seed. My guess is however that LSU Beats Clemson by at least 2 TDs. Ohio State is better than Clemson, but Clemson won the game and that’s all that matters.

Winning a conference title has to matter.
If Syracuse is ever lucky enough to win a conference title and goes 12-1 I think everyone should want a chance to go to the playoffs even if the metrics and eye test would obviously show teams with better talent.

Oklahoma may not be better than Georgia but Georgia got dominated by LSU just not as badly because their scheme didn’t allow LSU one on one matchups of a Safety on Jordan Jefferson and give up easy throws.

There wasn’t a quality 4th team this year. Georgia lost at home to 5-7 South Carolina losing that game is worse than losing at Kansas State.

Agree. I'd take the 1 loss conference champion in that scenario. I think it has to matter.

What didn't really matter was who was 4th. They were in for a long day. It's just how the ball bounced this year.

I think it's pretty clear that the team with the better fight song wins here. ;)

I think it's pretty clear that the team with the better fight song wins here. ;)

For the record, Oklahoma loses based on this.

Every

Single

Time

There were only 3 good teams and Alabama gets 4 and possibly upsets LSU if they don't blow the Iron bowl.

We see Baylor as the 4th if they pull out one of their games vs OU.

If there was an undefeated UCF this would have been the year to put them in mind you.

Overreactions drive me crazy years there are clearly 5 good teams and everyone wants an 8 game playoff or in the BCS when 1-3 were equal but there were only 2 spots. The current formula is perfect. LSU deserved the easy opener they had no losses in SEC W play.

I don't think Clemson will start slow. They have the horses. LSU is due to not look like world beaters.

I agree there were 3 solid and teams and a range of options for the 4th, but Ok winning an Avg Conf title full of avg teams shouldnt get rewarded just because they won it.. had they played well in winning it then fine but you would hard pressed to say they did much more than find a way to win a bunch of ugly games.

there is a decent chance the B12 goes 0-6 in bowls
the ACC was an avg conf too but Clemson dominated

LSU is going to beat Clemson unless the Clemson pressure confuses Burrow.
LSU offense is a machine. Clemson will have to be perfect to beat them in New Orleans.
That stadium will be 80-20 LSU and it’s not because Clemson fans don’t travel.

If this was still the BCS Clemson would be out of the championship. This arrangement protects against that 3rd great team being left out in the cold. Some years the fourth team isn't as good and some years the fourth team surprises and wins it all (twice; OSU in 15 and Alabama in 18). The BCS sucked compared to the championship series. The CFNPC has also been more profitable and generated more interest!

Ok
lost to TCU

GA

Because wins and losses have to matter.

Because wins and losses have to matter.
so if SU had a quirky schedule and played CLemson twice but was undefeated else where and finished 11-2 they would have won nothing and not deserved to get in?

beating bad teams poorly doesnt mean much

so if SU had a quirky schedule and played CLemson twice but was undefeated else where and finished 11-2 they would have won nothing and not deserved to get in?

I don't make up hypothetical results and say who should be in vs not. That's the whole point.

What scenario does this apply to?

None of those SEC teams you listed had to play LSU twice.

The only competitive games against LSU were Auburn (who had 3 losses) and Alabama (who lost their QB and then subsequently lost to Auburn for a 2nd loss).

Oklahoma was a lock, no one argued it. Much like recent semi-finals games (as HOFCeluck pointed out yesterday), it was destined to be a blowout this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom