LSU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

LSU

That loss might result in more wins over the course of the season, because your team is battle tested.

Or it can cause you to get your ass whooped by USF the next week because your players were beat up.

Because they are building playoff resumes. We're trying to build a .500 record to get into a bowl game, so a guaranteed L is a big negative.

So every team that schedules tough games is scheduling tough games thinking about their playoff resume?

So every team that schedules tough games is scheduling tough games thinking about their playoff resume?

Money & Exposure being 2 other reasons.

Until we are in a position to compete for a BCS bowl game going 11-1,12-0 on a yearly basis; bring on powerhouse p5 programs in the dome! Why not? LSU in the dome was special this year , the best OOC in 10 years, hands down. The buzz, the pub, great for attendance. If we are that good we can still win an ACC title with a p5 OOC loss. Keep the fan base engaged.

And because they want to challenge their team and find how good they are.
It's great to challenge your team when you're consistently making bowl games and winning at least 6 games every season.
It's bad to challenge your team when you're 3-9 and need to make a bowl for extra practices and to help your recruiting.

I agree 100%. But, when we expect bowl games and are striving for better than 8-4, why not have amazing OOC games like LSU?

The proof sis there, the name is still there. Marrone proved it. We TGD had too little time to hire a guy when Marrone gave short notice. Shafer did not pan out. He still had good kids on the team. Babers comes into a situation with a proven system, good staff and was able to get a number of recruits that he wanted for his system.

Why does everyone think Syracuse will be a perpetual losing team? Defend your selves? Syracuse cannot play with the big boys? Why rack up losses? PTTTHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTT (to quote that great philosopher, Opus T. Penguin)! Why have a team if you are not going to try? Why play nobodies when nobody cares if you play nobodies? If you beat a cream puff, who cares? If you beat LSU, everyone cares!

HCSS had an horrible year with injuries (which could possibly be attributed to S&C) and a second bad year of injuries last season. IF not for the exorbitant amount of injuries, most people think Syracuse goes bowling each year! This is not a bad team and HCDB just made it better. If you expect failure you will not attain success.

Then why do teams go out and schedule tough non conference games?
Good teams do! Cause they have a legit chance to win the game. We have zero chance to win these games vs LSU and Wisconsin (coming up).

I don't think anyone on this board is saying don't ever schedule these teams. All I'm saying (and others as well) is not now. Build the foundation, prove you can always win the 50/50 games instead of mostly losing them, then look out a few years and start testing the team

Good teams do! Cause they have a legit chance to win the game. We have zero chance to win these games vs LSU and Wisconsin (coming up).

Why in the world wouldn't we be able to compete with and even beat Wisky? Since Bielema left they aren't the powerhouse they once were.

Why in the world wouldn't we be able to compete with and even beat Wisky? Since Bielema left they aren't the powerhouse they once were.
Our side of the ACC is already really difficult and the schedule can become really tough depending on which team we draw in the cross over game.

At this point in the program's growth we need bowl eligibility and bowl appearances. Scheduling teams like LSU do nothing to enhance bowl attainment. Because our ACC schedule is so difficult, we need to schedule lower level P5 and MAC type schools so that we have a reasonable chance to win our OCC games.

I don't think anyone on this board is saying don't ever schedule these teams. All I'm saying (and others as well) is not now. Build the foundation, prove you can always win the 50/50 games instead of mostly losing them, then look out a few years and start testing the team

Exactly where I'm at. I like scheduling tough games but I'd prefer to let Dino build his system for a couple years, let the team get confidence and set them up for success first. As he builds his system, I think Syracuse will be exciting to watch regardless of who they are playing.

I'm completely on board with the Baylor method for the time being. Playing the UB and SMU/Rice's of the world to get some wins on the board, get the confidence up and then get ready for conference play. Sure that becomes a detriment for them when they are trying to get into BCS bowls & the playoff but it would sure help us to try and get out of the gutter.

Just wanted to go take a look back to see how we've done in any of these OOC P5 early season games:
2010: Lost at Washington
2011: Beat Wake Forest at home, Lost at USC
2012: Lost to Northwestern, USC & Minnesota
2013: Lost to Penn State & Northwestern
2014: Lost to Notre Dame
2015: Lost to LSU

So tell me again how scheduling these games is helping anything. Beat Wake Forest in overtime in the dome once in 2011, whoo!!

If we got an A type game from Dungey we might have beaten LSU this year. we got a pretty solid effort from a walkon and left tons of plays on the table with some poor throws.

If we got an A type game from Dungey we might have beaten LSU this year. we got a pretty solid effort from a walkon and left tons of plays on the table with some poor throws.

And if the queen had balls, she'd be the king. It's impossible to make the statement, "IF Dungey had played...we might have beaten LSU"

I'm pretty certain LSU would have come out less flat and prepared differently had they known they weren't facing our 5th string walk-on QB. And this coming from a Mahoney fan, unlike some others on this board.

I think its pretty clear the ceiling on Dungey showed to be far higher than Mahoney, and I thought he played really well. You need to complete the deep ball when its open and thats something Dungey showed to be far better at.. I also said a Dungey A game.. not just Dungey playing.

They averaged 9 yards per play on offense, we weren't winning that game unless we had Freeney and the Jones boys playing. Might've still needed Keith Bulluck behind them too.

If you don't think Wisconsin football is light years ahead of Syracuse football right now as we sit today I don't know what to tell ya. Wisconsin- 10 wins last year, 11 the year before, 9 the year before that, 8 before that, 11 before that, 11 the year before, and 10 before that. Should we keep going?

We aren't even on the same planet as them when it comes to football at the moment and won't be anytime soon. Hopefully someday, maybe 5 years or so. But not now, not next year or in the coming years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom