Lunardi | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi

Literally the only argument he has for syracuse not getting in is their high rpi. Is he kidding me???? If all that matters is rpi why even bother with selection committee? Just pick all the automatic bids based on the rpi. Unbelievable.
Not only that, in his attempt to really drive home his anti-SU rationale he groups our record together with Vandy's - 1-9 on the road against ranked teams
hey Joey, why don't ya put our profile right next to Temple's and explain away.
What an tool

Alsacs, I give you a lot of credit for being vociferous about something I've believed for several years. "Bracketology" is worthless, and ultimately is a futile endeavor.

The landscape changes on a daily basis, so having it in Nov / Dec is pointless, despite the attention it garners. And Lunardi completely miscalculates by having his tabulations focus upon the daily outcomes, ignoring the long term view.

Perhaps most importantly, the evaluative bias he brings consistently is off target, given that each committee is slightly different and prioritizes slightly different evaluative criteria. So while he has a uniform view from year to year [generally] of who belongs in, it doesn't necessarily reflect the deliberations taking place behind closed doors.

Give him credit--he is basically a hack reporter who stumbled upon something that makes him relevant. Professionally, he nailed a cool niche [much like Mel Kiper]. But that doesn't change that it is generally a pointless endeavor.
If I was doing his job it wouldn't be hard to take biases out and just analyze the numbers.

I mean I can be objective and analyze the facts and give opinions. This guy is treated by ESPN like he does this. When it is pretty clear his biases affect his work. He is awful at his job. Being first doesn't make you good. I am fairly certain I would be able to do his job a lot better if it was my job to do so. I don't spend the time this guy is supposed to spend and I could tell he was way off without being an SU homer.

Not only that, in his attempt to really drive home his anti-SU rationale he groups our record together with Vandy's - 1-9 on the road against ranked teams
hey Joey, why don't ya put our profile right next to Temple's and explain away.
What an tool
Syracuse plays Virginia, North Carolina 2 1 seeds, Miami a 3 seed, Louisville, Duke a 4 seed on the road and goes 1-4. OMG considered me shocked.

Vandy played Purdue/Kentucky/Baylor/Texas A&M and lost them all.

The Bonnies don't leave the state of NY during the non-conference schedule but they got screwed.

Comment #1 by Joe
upload_2016-3-13_23-17-52.png

Comment #2 by Joe
upload_2016-3-13_23-19-31.png

This is really inconsistent Joe at his best. Classic Stuff.

So let's look at the analysis he made in the second comment which for some odd reason is combined. He say Vandy is "perfectly reasonable" and Syracuse is basically a disgrace in the first comment. So if you think so differently about 2 teams why the hell are you combining the attributes? But let's amuse ourselves and look how each team team did in those attributes. Surely the team that is "perfectly reasonable" must be better in those attributes.
  • First he focus on the fact that the teams were a combined 1-9 vs top 50 road teams. I don't think many bubble teams have a great record against top 50 road teams. Regardless, that one win belongs to Syracuse. (Syracuse 1, Vandy 0)
  • He then focuses on the teams combined road record of 6 wins -- both teams have 3 wins. If you add neutral wins both teams have 5. Syracuse though has 3 top 50 wins on road / neutral court. Vanderbilt has none.
  • He then combines the teams again and talks about the 6 wins against the field. Well Syracuse has 4 and Vandy has 2.

So Joe? Are you sure that Vandy is perfectly reasonable and Syracuse should not even be close?

If I was doing his job it wouldn't be hard to take biases out and just analyze the numbers.

I mean I can be objective and analyze the facts and give opinions. This guy is treated by ESPN like he does this. When it is pretty clear his biases affect his work. He is awful at his job. Being first doesn't make you good. I am fairly certain I would be able to do his job a lot better if it was my job to do so. I don't spend the time this guy is supposed to spend and I could tell he was way off without being an SU homer.

Well, he innovated "bracketology", and it took. It took, big time. Good for him. He came up with a silly idea and someone bought it. Do you all realize that his opinions are considered in no way whatsoever by the selection committee? And that his opinions influence absolutely nobody and absolutely nothing? So what if ESPN flashes them on the ticker. He's just a shmuck - yes, a total shmuck (I concede that) who gets to get paid for being a college hoops fan 24/7/365. Gotta love it. Again, the anger here is comical. Enjoy your day jobs!

Well, he innovated "bracketology", and it took. It took, big time. Good for him. He came up with a silly idea and someone bought it. Do you all realize that his opinions are considered in no way whatsoever by the selection committee? And that his opinions influence absolutely nobody and absolutely nothing? So what if ESPN flashes them on the ticker. He's just a shmuck - yes, a total shmuck (I concede that) who gets to get paid for being a college hoops fan 24/7/365. Gotta love it. Again, the anger here is comical. Enjoy your day jobs!
I think we're all just hyped to be in the tourney and he's an easy target. Nobody is legit concerned about this guy.

It's kind of strange the tone he's taken this year. Seems he thinks a little too much of himself right now.

You are criticizing us. Obviously by your logic, you are jealous of me and Alsacs.

Thank you for your contributions. You are now on my ignore list.

guess you got a dog in this fight, huh?

That is BS when ESPN legitimizes his awful opinions. Put on the Memphis-UConn game today and the graphics are saying Lunardi puts Memphis in with a win and knocks St. Mary's out.

That crap is thus legitimized. This guy is awful at analyzing the numbers take out your damn biases and just look at the numbers.

He doesn't do that and ESPN doesn't realize it or care. However, don't put stuff as graphics when this clown is obviously wrong.

That is BS when ESPN legitimizes his awful opinions. Put on the Memphis-UConn game today and the graphics are saying Lunardi puts Memphis in with a win and knocks St. Mary's out.

That crap is thus legitimized. This guy is awful at analyzing the numbers take out your damn biases and just look at the numbers.

He doesn't do that and ESPN doesn't realize it or care. However, don't put stuff as graphics when this clown is obviously wrong.

ESPN itself is a joke, man. It's just an entertainment channel now, and this guy is just an entertainer. No biggie.

And you're a real champ!

Thanks, for whatever this means? Assume it is a slight.

I was just remarking on my astonishment at the vitriol aimed at Lunardi, the terd spokesman for a terd channel. It's pretty funny, to me only I guess, how angry people are. Sorry.

How is what he does any different than a political pollster?

Lunardi was built for low information voters, kinda like Donald Trump. ESPN I'm sure has no problem raking in the advertising dough off this buffoon's predictions

Thanks, for whatever this means? Assume it is a slight.

I was just remarking on my astonishment at the vitriol aimed at Lunardi, the terd spokesman for a terd channel. It's pretty funny, to me only I guess, how angry people are. Sorry.

You seem like a level headed fellow, and I dig that. You may have been amazed by the RAGE directed at the selection show today! I had a drink and was enjoying it(and also decided to enjoy the rage instead of letting it annoy me), while others were raging like they were being subjected to prison sex for the first time. I really couldnt understand why people were choosing to be so miserable while I was having a blast with a cold beverage and feeling excited about my team! Thoughts?

Last edited:
The majority of the brackets on bracketmatrix had us out, and the majority of posters on this board had us out. It's not like Lunardi's projection was far-fetched.

The majority of the brackets on bracketmatrix had us out, and the majority of posters on this board had us out. It's not like Lunardi's projection was far-fetched.

He's PAID to be right. He can have excuses or be critical of the committee all he wants, but he, and ESPN, portray him as a prognosticator. Whether he agrees with the committee is entirely irrelevant, he's supposed to have an inside track on what their criteria is, and who will be in and out, and where they'll be seeded.

He sucks at it.

He's PAID to be right. He can have excuses or be critical of the committee all he wants, but he, and ESPN, portray him as a prognosticator. Whether he agrees with the committee is entirely irrelevant, he's supposed to have an inside track on what their criteria is, and who will be in and out, and where they'll be seeded.

He sucks at it.

You're taking what he does way too seriously. It's light-hearted entertainment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom