Malachi One and Done? | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Thoughts? He played exceptionally well tonight. If he keeps it up he's gone.

I'd love for him to come back but right now I just don't see it. Plus he's older, so I can see him go straight to the NBA.

He stays one more year. In a year where Hield won't go until the 20s of the NBA draft, he'll be advised to stay. In a super weak draft year I might be slightly concerned. At this point, not worried.

Unfortunately if this team makes it to the NCAAs it will mean he has played well enough to be in draft consideration. If this team was top 15 right now he'd absolutely be getting heavy interest from scouts. So yeah another cant win scenario. The NBA just royally sucks with the way they poach and destroy everything that used to be good about college basketball.

Until he goes 1-8 and then it's "he needs to stay". Not worth worrying about at this point. McCullough was horrid in ACC play and then tore his knee and he went and got drafted round 1.

Unfortunately if this team makes it to the NCAAs it will mean he has played well enough to be in draft consideration. If this team was top 15 right now he'd absolutely be getting heavy interest from scouts. So yeah another cant win scenario. The NBA just royally sucks with the way they poach and destroy everything that used to be good about college basketball.

I don't think the team's ranking has anything to do with anything in that regard. NBA scouts don't just watch the guys on top 25 teams.

In the last 16 seasons, six SU freshman have scored double digit points. Three (Melo, Donte, Ennis) went pro, Flynn played his sophomore season, Devo and Gmac played all four years. Malachi would be the 7th. I think he's got NBA skills and size where Devo & Gmac didn't. It'll be interesting and I don't think it's a given he'll be back.

Until he goes 1-8 and then it's "he needs to stay". Not worth worrying about at this point. McCullough was horrid in ACC play and then tore his knee and he went and got drafted round 1.

All these guys aren't created equally. McCullough was on the NBA radar before he got here.

Won't be shocked either way, but if he stays he could be a 1st team ACC next year and maybe 2nd or 3rd AA. He has it all. And we're set up to be pretty good next year, so really hope he stays.

I don't think the team's ranking has anything to do with anything in that regard. NBA scouts don't just watch the guys on top 25 teams.
Than explain Ennis being drafted as high as he was.

Not close to being projected as a first rounder this year.

Nobody can say whether he is or not right now the way kids get picked in the draft -- and some seem content to go high 1s and even 2s, so you just don't know. All I know is I want him to come back next year bc the backcourt with Battle will be absolutely scary.

Than explain Ennis being drafted as high as he was.

Ennis got a lot of hype when we were 25-0 but another way to look at it is he was a first rounder even after we sucked the last few weeks of the season too.

Were f'ed if so but these posts/threads should be deleted. Nothing to see here. Lets move on.

JB said that he is only 6'4".

Nobody can say whether he is or not right now the way kids get picked in the draft -- and some seem content to go high 1s and even 2s, so you just don't know. All I know is I want him to come back next year bc the backcourt with Battle will be absolutly scary.

And the other side of that is without him our backcourt will be scarily thin and we'd probably need to try to get a graduate student transfer or something.

And the other side of that is without him our backcourt will be scarily thin and we'd probably need to try to get a graduate student transfer or something.

Not sure why people always bring up these 5th year guys and juco players but in all reality there aren't many and maybe only literally one or two that could actually play for us.

He will toss his hat in the ring and hopefully with the new regulation will be told what he still needs toimprove upon and then hopefully decides to come back for one more year.

Cheers,
Neil

He has the most polished offensive skill set as a freshman on the wing (Ennis is up there, but he's obviously a guard) that SU has seen in a long time. He does everything on offense well; his handle isn't tight, and sometimes he looks out of control driving to the rim, but he always finishes. He has a good body for a 2 G in the NBA (has to add muscle), but teams will most likely want to see an improved, and he shows flashes of creating for others but not with any consistency yet.

However, his game isn't really a rare commodity in the NBA. He's a 6'6 athlete who can shoot, almost every college team has one of those guys. I think we are so used to getting burned with these early entries that we assume he will leave, but I just don't see it.

McCullough was 100% dead set on being one and done; and Ennis/Grant were locks to go in the lottery. Unless Mali always came here knowing he'd be out after 1 year, I'd be surprised if he left since he's not even a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Not sure why people always bring up these 5th year guys and juco players but in all reality there aren't many and maybe only literally one or two that could actually play for us.
Louisville and UConn both got 2 very, very good grad transfers each that are arguably the best players on each of their teams.

A freshman plays a good game and we wonder whether he will be back next year. What a strange time for college basketball.
Should we root for him to score 18 instead of 24, to be good, but not too good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom