Malachi One and Done? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

Not sure why people always bring up these 5th year guys and juco players but in all reality there aren't many and maybe only literally one or two that could actually play for us.

Or we could go into the year with Adrian Autry Jr. as our 4th guard...and Kaleb as our 3rd. Are there any other options? JUCO?

A freshman plays a good game and we wonder whether he will be back next year. What a strange time for college basketball.
Should we root for him to score 18 instead of 24, to be good, but not too good?

Or it's just a paranoid fan base.

Or we could go into the year with Adrian Autry Jr. as our 4th guard...and Kaleb as our 3rd. Are there any other options? JUCO?

Or when we start recruiting guys that look like they could be one and done players start recruiting their position.

He has the most polished offensive skill set as a freshman on the wing (Ennis is up there, but he's obviously a guard) that SU has seen in a long time. He does everything on offense well; his handle isn't tight, and sometimes he looks out of control driving to the rim, but he always finishes. He has a good body for a 2 G in the NBA (has to add muscle), but teams will most likely want to see an improved, and he shows flashes of creating for others but not with any consistency yet.

However, his game isn't really a rare commodity in the NBA. He's a 6'6 athlete who can shoot, almost every college team has one of those guys. I think we are so used to getting burned with these early entries that we assume he will leave, but I just don't see it.

McCullough was 100% dead set on being one and done; and Ennis/Grant were locks to go in the lottery. Unless Mali always came here knowing he'd be out after 1 year, I'd be surprised if he left since he's not even a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Ennis was one of those few players who benefitted by leaving early before he was exposed

I don't think so. He needs to add more strength.
I said that about Jeramy Grant and he was a first rounder. Never thought that skinny kid could make it until he put on some weight. Never thought Chris McCullough would be a first rounder after missing half of his Freshman year and showing limited potential when he did play. I certainly want Malachi to stay around for 4 years.

I said that about Jeramy Grant and he was a first rounder. Never thought that skinny kid could make it until he put on some weight. Never thought Chris McCullough would be a first rounder after missing half of his Freshman year and showing limited potential when he did play. I certainly want Malachi to stay around for 4 years.

Grant was on draft radars before the season started, he was also an athletic freak of nature.

He stays one more year. In a year where Hield won't go until the 20s of the NBA draft, he'll be advised to stay. In a super weak draft year I might be slightly concerned. At this point, not worried.

2017 is projected to be the best draft class in a long time.

He should go this year if he can.

Grant went in the 2ud round

Grant was on draft radars before the season started, he was also an athletic freak of nature.
He also had very limited range and still only weight 210. His stats so far have been okay but far from great. I'm certainly rooting for him but it will be interesting to see how he progresses.

He has the height, quick release, ability to drive, and has the confidence in his shot to make him a great NBA prospect. If he gets stronger and can finish at the rim through a little contact and can play better defense he could be a top ten pick next year.

He has the most NBA pedigree of anyone on this team...and I predict he will be one of the best cuse players in the pro ranks.

Unfortunately if this team makes it to the NCAAs it will mean he has played well enough to be in draft consideration. If this team was top 15 right now he'd absolutely be getting heavy interest from scouts. So yeah another cant win scenario. The NBA just royally sucks with the way they poach and destroy everything that used to be good about college basketball.

AMEN

how many years in a row is this? 5? That next years draft is the best in x years right before kids declare from this season.

It's actually only been the 2014 class that was overly hyped. All others in the past five years have been projected relatively well by people who are rational and understand the NBA. And even then, some of 2014's missed projections are due to injury.

Giles, Jackson, Tatum, Maker, etc - the list is deep.

Even if they fall flat, they'll still push the draft 5-7 picks later than usual.

If Mal can go, he has to go. Playing out of position and playing the zone isn't helping his cause. I'm assuming he will get to play the two next year, however, if he sticks around.

Ennis was one of those few players who benefitted by leaving early before he was exposed

he was also helped by that draft class being weak at the PG position

Thoughts? He played exceptionally well tonight. If he keeps it up he's gone.

I'd love for him to come back but right now I just don't see it. Plus he's older, so I can see him go straight to the NBA.
No, and not good enough at present. However these days it does not seem to matter. He may be gone simply because someone gets in his ear and tells him he should go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom