Malachi One and Done? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

At this point, I'm guessing he'll go pro. IF he returns, then it's a bonus.

I think he should stay one more year though. A summer in the weightroom and refining his game would be huge. When he comes back as the ACC POY and leads the team w/20ppg and an NCAA berth, he can capitalize and be a lottery pick then. Right now, I think he's a fringe 1st rounder, at best, simply because of the position he plays. 6'4"-6'6" SG's are probably the easiest players for NBA teams to find. He doesn't stand out in any way that would push him over others, so coming back and having a big year could do that. I'm not saying he could be Buddy Hield next year, but he could have the same impact on his draft status with a huge year.

I can't think of an NBA 3 Brandon Ingram can guard, but he's going to be a top 3 pick.

I can tell you playing more zone sure isn't going to help Lydon play better man to man defense in the NBA.

Lydon has been a turnstile when in one on one situations though. It's not just strength either. Guys just seem to go by him even when he seemingly has good position.

I thought the entire team played clutch. Malachi and Cooney included. Gbinije had the biggest shot of the game. Good thing, cause they were both awful for most of the game. Mal isn't getting drafted when he's shooting 36 percent on the year.

No question. Cooney drilled a huge shot, and Malachi and Gbinije drilled 2 huge shots each. 5 enormous jumpers(none of them easy shots either) that went down, down the stretch.

Lydon has been a turnstile when in one on one situations though. It's not just strength either. Guys just seem to go by him even when he seemingly has good position.

Giving up the baseline drives me crazy. He let that happen a couple times last night.

Giving up the baseline drives me crazy. He let that happen a couple times last night.

Yeah, I don't get it. He looks to be in position and he's athletic. Hopefully it will improve with experience. Makes me wonder how he would do guarding someone in man to man on the perimeter. Guys just seem to go by him in situations where they shouldn't. He does make some nice defensive plays contesting shots. That lob that he took away was impressive.

Overall, I don't think the VT game helped Mal go pro. Not the type that gets him noticed and the stats aren't pro-worthy. The 2 biggest shots IMO, were MG's 3 to force OT and Cooney with the dagger 3 to win it.

Yup, he needs work on defense. Not sure how much help it will be playing out of position and in a zone for the NBA, though.

McCullough was leaving early before even stepped foot on campus. That was not debated. The only reason there was even a chance he would stay for a sophomore year was the ACL tear. I'm all but certain that he had a promise from the Nets that they would draft him in the first round and after the injury reaffirmed their intent. He gone.

Malachi, I don't know. The only frosh guards that SU had who scored like he does, and stayed, were Flynn, Devo, and GMac. The last two didn't have an NBA elite skill or size. Malachi certainly has the size, but I'm not sure he has the elite skill yet. With the new rules though, I would imagine he would at least declare and get a thorough assessment.

The point on Mccullough is valid but it doesn't change the fact that the kid didn't know how to play basketball. Tremendous God-given ability and skill but he had a looooonnnnnnnggggg way to go in terms of understanding the game. It's also my feeling that while you're playing hoops around the clock in the NBA, they aren't going to be real patient in terms of your learning on the job. You've got a small window to impress and I'd feel better walking in as a more polished product.

As for Malachi, I'm with you on his having a great freshman year. I think you can't entirely discount opportunity when talking about production -- he is the starting 3 by default and there is a total of one legit sub on this team in Lydon -- but even so he's been good. Where I get surprised about the NBA talk is this: Is he really that unique talente-wise? McCullough and Grant were tall, long athletes -- Grant with really unique explosiveness, McCullough with elite skill for his size. Even Waiters got the rim unlike many college guards.

Does Malachi have that standout tool that will carry him? Good shooter, could be great, but he's not yet. Good at getting to the rim but still needs some work to do that consistently.

I don't know. I just don't see it yet.

Malachi could certainly go pro if that's what he desires. I have no idea where he'd be slated in terms of the first round, but this is shaping up to be a deep draft, which will only push him down.

There isn't much downside to returning. He could greatly improve his stock, and he'll likely be the focal point of next year's offense [not exaggerating--I'd be surprised if he isn't the leading scorer] on a team that could be top 10 caliber, wire-to-wire. Coming back for a second year won't stigmatize him the way that staying 3 or 4 years sometimes can when it comes to draft potential. He'd forego quick money next year for the prospect of making quite a bit more down the road. I'd be surprised if he goes, to be honest.

Definitely has the potential, but as some have said this is a very deep draft. Not guaranteeing anything because there is a good amount of ball left to be played. If I had to guess today, he's here next year.

Malachi could certainly go pro if that's what he desires. I have no idea where he'd be slated in terms of the first round, but this is shaping up to be a deep draft, which will only push him down.

There isn't much downside to returning. He could greatly improve his stock, and he'll likely be the focal point of next year's offense [not exaggerating--I'd be surprised if he isn't the leading scorer] on a team that could be top 10 caliber, wire-to-wire. Coming back for a second year won't stigmatize him the way that staying 3 or 4 years sometimes can when it comes to draft potential. He'd forego quick money next year for the prospect of making quite a bit more down the road. I'd be surprised if he goes, to be honest.

The two guard position is loaded. He will most certainly be behind Jamal Murray, Denzel Valentine, Buddy Hield, Casey Levert, and Malik Newman. That's on top of 3 or 4 other Euro's who are borderline lottery to late first round picks. I'd imagine Grayson Allen would be ranked higher if he game out as well.

That's on top of the fact that the Draft sites actually have Lydon's NBA prospects greater than Richardson right now.

This kid is making a strong case to be one and done.

Just like with Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant, and CMac, right?
There are also ppl last year that said no doubt G would leave and just today somebody said "if" Coleman comes back. Nobody knows what anybody is going to do. CMAC was outta here before he got to campus. Also, that idiot Doris Burke isn't sitting on TV calling everybody "A PRO" when the my make a layup.

I hope he sees Ennis situation (I understand he is getting paid) and takes JB advice and comes back for one year. If you aren't ready you sit on the back of the bench and get traded a couple times and never get a real shot.

would you take a 1st weekend exit this year in exchange for mal staying one more year? Or would you roll the dice on a deeper run if it means next year's upside is significantly diminished? I think personally a sweet 16 run would place mal squarely in the spotlight and there'd be slim-to-none chance of him returning.

FrancoPizza said:
would you take a 1st weekend exit this year in exchange for mal staying one more year? Or would you roll the dice on a deeper run if it means next year's upside is significantly diminished? I think personally a sweet 16 run would place mal squarely in the spotlight and there'd be slim-to-none chance of him returning.

IMHO, it's all about next year and the year after. We will have the pieces. This team is ultimately flawed...fun to watch and root for, but fatally flawed.

Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser knows. That's all I have to say about it.;)

Yeah sure he can go,but being 6'6" and not physically ready to drive into the lane in the NBA leads me to believe he will be stuck in the NBDL for a few years earning around $25,000 a year tops. There is just so mant great players at the position he projects at right now in the NBA.

"And with a new Showcase has come a more recent report from Stein regarding salaries, but alas, the tiers remain the same: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000. Something interesting to note is that, according to Stein, the per-team salary cap has actually decreased, from $178,000 to a now $173,000.

With ten players per team, that's an average D-League salary of $17,300. "

A Syracuse degree pays more than that I would hope.

Because many don't share your opinion. Myself included.

Could he go? Sure. And I would never say never, but at this point, he is returning.
Well at least you're acknowledging there's a chance now. I've tried to think about how many high level recruits have come to SU and had the season he's had and not gone. Maybe Flynn freshman year?

We are such a funny group here. We get so attached to our teams that we have built a mental wall in our heads to automatically assume if someone has a halfway decent year as a freshman, that they no longer love us and want to leave. We are basing this on Ennis, Grant, and CMac who left prematurely. The difference is they were all first round/borderline first round. This draft is too deep and there are also 4 to 5 overseas guys who are projected to be 1st rounders. Mal will not leave simply because he has the talent to be a top 15 pick next year, why would he settle for a late 2nd round pick? I get it, we don't want our hearts broken (Happy Valentine's Day) so it is natural for us to assume the worst, but it is not happening, unless we win the NC and he goes completely off.

Plus, we are winning the NC next year ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom