Manley Field House is officially closed | Syracusefan.com

Manley Field House is officially closed

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
That was a little before my time considering i was 1 at the time. I know thats pretty much what started the hoya hatred and rivalry. BUT, you gotta admit, that was a brilliant line. If the roles were reversed and JB said that, we'd love him for it.

Im pretty sure im not gonna get any "likes" from this

completely agree...i always chuckle to myself when that gets brought up

And it wasn't our last loss there. We have a 2 game losing streak at Manley.

I think it was an obvious line.
I don't think J Thompson is capable of uttering anything that even remotely can be described as "brilliant."
Certainly not based on the horrific job he's done on radio PBP color.
The guy is a big, fat, posturing, phony goof.
And those are his good points.

Who uses a towel as a fashion accessory?
Plus, his son looks like Mr. Potatohead.

We weren't afraid of him or his team then.
We're not afraid now.
And tonight they are going to get the major Doming they so deserve.

GO ORANGE!

I was there. My hatred jumped to a new level that night.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I was 10 and at the game. I remember being shocked because I never even considered that SU could lose a game at home, it was blow out city most of the time except when St. John's came to town. I remember a song/poem that one of the local radio stations put together and one of the lines was "great...our record of 58". After the game, they had to change it to "heaven...record of 57." Then those d-bags beat us again in the BET finals. Nobody knew too much about Georgetown then, but I remeber my Dad going around talking about how Thompson outcoached Boeheim. From then on for me, it was ON. Hate me a Hoya!

I was 10 and at the game. I remember being shocked because I never even considered that SU could lose a game at home, it was blow out city most of the time except when St. John's came to town. I remember a song/poem that one of the local radio stations put together and one of the lines was "great...our record of 58". After the game, they had to change it to "heaven...record of 57." Then those d-bags beat us again in the BET finals. Nobody knew too much about Georgetown then, but I remeber my Dad going around talking about how Thompson outcoached Boeheim. From then on for me, it was ON. Hate me a Hoya!
Even that game was a blow out - at half time at least . . . . my recollection is that SU was up 17 points. Give them credit for clawing back though. Sleepy Floyd.

Cl
That was a little before my time considering i was 1 at the time. I know thats pretty much what started the hoya hatred and rivalry. BUT, you gotta admit, that was a brilliant line. If the roles were reversed and JB said that, we'd love him for it.

Im pretty sure im not gonna get any "likes" from this

Classless line from one of the biggest assclowns ever involved in the game.

It was a great line in the context of the rivalry.

However I was actually at the game seeing Louie's shot fall short and it sucked hard.

(Was the second loss GW in the pre-season NIT?)

Michael Lloyd. Rock came two years later.
I knew that, couldn't remember which one and chose the wrong one.:mad: Good catch SWC! Banked a 3 to send it to OT vs. GW if I can recall...

I was there. My hatred jumped to a new level that night.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
I was there, too.
But the feeling among the people I was with was that Boeheim had made a mistake trying to kill so much clock.
We were successful when we were taking it to them.
The slowdown made us passive and opened the door for debacle.

The game is one thing.
But Thompson is such a despicable character.
So were some of his teams.
That generated a lot of the rivarly heat.

They will pay tonight...yet again.

GO ORANGE!

I think it was an obvious line.
I don't think J Thompson is capable of uttering anything that even remotely can be described as "brilliant."
Certainly not based on the horrific job he's done on radio PBP color.
The guy is a big, fat, posturing, phony goof.
And those are his good points.

Who uses a towel as a fashion accessory?
Plus, his son looks like Mr. Potatohead.

We weren't afraid of him or his team then.
We're not afraid now.
And tonight they are going to get the major Doming they so deserve.

GO ORANGE!
I'm giving you a "Like" for content and because your posts are always formatted like poetry.

I knew that, couldn't remember which one and chose the wrong one.:mad: Good catch SWC! Banked a 3 to send it to OT vs. GW if I can recall...

That's OK. we all make mistakes. :mad:

my first Syracuse hoops game was that Manley game against GWU 1994. Very bizarre way to be introduced to Syracuse basketball. That game was crazy.

As a professional communicator, I think it was a brilliant line -- the kind that politicians, CEOs and speechwriters are always trying to coin. The fact that we all remember it so many years later ... proves how good it was.

Funny epilogue: When we were putting together the program for the dedication of the "Boeheim Court" in 2002, someone suggested that we invite JT II to pronounce the Boeheim Court "officially opened." But saner heads prevailed.