March Madness | Syracusefan.com

March Madness

Fjoinkay

Starter
I'm happy with this team even though they have struggled of late, and I was glad to see them make another comeback and nearly win this game. With a 7-man rotation early foul trouble creates stress and problems, and this is only made worse when the shots are off. And yet this team stayed the course once again and competed through it.

SU basketball should hold their heads high. If they can avoid early foul trouble, continue to play solid defense, and shoot just a little better with consistency they can make some noise in the NCAA tournament. SU had a win streak before conference play and deep into conference play, and I think it's well within the realm of possibility that this team can put together a nice win streak after conference play. Go Cuse!!

One other thing, at one point during this game I noticed that JB told TC to relax. I had a couple of thoughts. Earlier in the season I was pretty sure that TC had worked during the offseason to improve his focus and to stay relaxed during games. He began this season with noticeable improvement. I hope he would reflect now on whatever he did during the offseason and try to regenerate that mindset. TC is at the point now where he is beating himself up. This is a sign of shame which is a feeling of being defective or broken. This makes any stress or anxiety much worse and often crippling. TC needs to know that the feelings he experiences will continue to happen. He needs to work on accepting them and playing through them rather than trying to resist them. By accepting them I mean he should welcome them when they arise rather than feel like something is wrong with himself or that they are a problem. Quite to the contrary, if he didn't feel stress or anxiety something would be wrong. It's how he processes those feelings that matters.

In the long run he can work with someone to make sense of why he has these feelings and over time smooth them out which will add to his well being in life. In the short term he can work on his awareness. He can very quickly learn to notice the feelings and then when he senses them arise, which will continue to happen, he can accept them by naming them in his mind. It has been shown in many studies that naming the feelings especially anxiety or fear calms the feeling. I would hope that TC would begin to notice and name his feelings at any point during each game. This includes when he's warming up, when he's waiting to receive a pass, or even when he is in his shooting motion during the game. This will be much better than resisting the feeling and certainly better than reacting to the feeling with a sense that something is wrong. By noticing and then naming he can calm his play and begin to cut down on the chaotic and rigid moments- the shots where everything breaks down or when his thinking is clouded or flooded with emotion. TC has shown tremendous courage to play on through this slump. He's a tough competitor for sure which I admire and respect!! With a little specificity in how he monitors and responds to his feelings I bet he can begin to level out his play. He's shown this ability already!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom