Marrone To The Jags... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

rrlbees said:
You go from HC to OL, it's bad. No other way to spin it.

Sigh. How bad? I never said it was a good thing. Just that it's kind of like being the poorest millionaire.

I would imagine that Marrone will never subscribe to the NY Daily News. The sad thing is that Mehta can now tout the fact that he convinced a NFL team to change their mind when selecting a new HC. He should be replacing Bayless on First Take.

You go from HC to OL, it's bad. No other way to spin it.
Meh. Throw in assistant HC title and it's less bad. For me it all depends on how much or how little he liked his previous job- I'd be curious to see the $ in this contract.

Meh. Throw in assistant HC title and it's less bad. For me it all depends on how much or how little he liked his previous job- I'd be curious to see the $ in this contract.

Assistant HC means nothing in the NFL.
It's a label to make old head coaches feel less bad about taking a lesser position.

New (and formerly old) Giants DC Steve Spagnulo bombed out as a head coach, bombed out as Saints DC, then went to Baltimore to be secondary coach/"ASSISTANT HEAD COACH".

Now hes finally back as a DC.
Maybe Doug will be an OC again one day.

My point was that's it all not negative. Which I made and now you've backed me up on.

I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that $4 million in and of itself is "negative".

But I'd say that this thing played out about as "negatively" as he could have imagined. He willingly left one of the most coveted 32 jobs in his profession, was not hired for any of the six open positions available to him, and has taken a position coaching role in arguably one of the five worst franchises in the game.

If you want to call that 90% negative/10% positive then be my guest.

This is the crux of it for me. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall as he was discussing this with his wife. If he absolutely hated where he was for whatever the reason, go ahead and get paid to leave. I took a lot less to leave a job once. It was a sinking ship, but I could've hung on a little longer if I chose and still received a similar buyout in the end. Instead I made a move and eventually went back to school for a new career. I had a colleague the other day turn down a job where she'd make more money because she didn't think she'd be as happy there. I think it happens more often than people think. It's just not done in the public eye.

Is that different than pensions then? My father doesn't pay NYS income tax on his pension from when he worked in NYS.

I'm no expert but I believe pensions are taxed differently than other kinds of income.

I work in NY and live in CT and, believe me, I am taxed on my NY income. Heavily.

As I always tell folks who come to me for job advice when they are unhappy in their jobs: It is much easier to get a new job when you HAVE a job. No matter how unhappy you are, stick it out in your current job because your job search will be that much easier. Fairly or unfairly, people without jobs are frequently looked upon as "damaged goods."
I will always think he had a wink wink deal with the owner of the Jets. I think it's beautiful that he ends up high and dry when the owner walked away

Scooch said:
I'm not sure anyone is going to argue that $4 million in and of itself is "negative". But I'd say that this thing played out about as "negatively" as he could have imagined. He willingly left one of the most coveted 32 jobs in his profession, was not hired for any of the six open positions available to him, and has taken a position coaching role in arguably one of the five worst franchises in the game. If you want to call that 90% negative/10% positive then be my guest.

Yep. Not good - except for the part where he is making an extra 4 mill on the side. If that's only worth 10% to you, then fine. Still not exactly the poor house.

He is positioned to be interim HC when Jacksonsville's crazy owner eventually fires Gus Bradley. Bradley is 7-25(two of those 7 are against a Tennessee team trying to lose and the NYG giving them the game) in two years. He could get popped next yr if the Jags start off bad.
Looks like NFL owners figure he isn't worth the high maintenance. Anyone who thinks he is HC in waiting has been reading too many science fiction books.

Yep. Not good - except for the part where he is making an extra 4 mill on the side. If that's only worth 10% to you, then fine. Still not exactly the poor house.
on the side of what, a million at most?

most coaches would rather be a head coach for 4 million than dwight schrute for 5.

Not sure how people can be so sure that he'll never be a HC in the NFL again just one day after Gary Kubiak- who failed in Houston was just handed the keys to a team who believes they are a SB contender.

I'm not saying Marrone is going to be the next HC of the Giants, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him named HC of the Titans heading into 2016.

Looks like NFL owners figure he isn't worth the high maintenance. Anyone who thinks he is HC in waiting has been reading too many science fiction books.
Who said HCIW. I said interim HC if the owner pops his current HC during the season. Having an actual former HC on your staff gives you a candidate to play out the string if the crazy Jacksonville owner decided to fire his coach.

Marrone wouldn't keep the job if he became the interim HC, but he gives the Jax owner some insurance on staff.

Statesman1 said:

Financially the good bad can't be determined until the following season. Right now I'm gonna guess he is up $500k - $1m. Year after he could go negative a few million and so on the next 2 years.

In every other way it's a negative. He was an NFL HC playing for a playoff berth a few weeks ago. He's now an OL coach.

spin spin spin
homer-spin-o.gif

You must have an amazing crystal ball.
yep.

although...past performance is no guarantee of future results...it is a pretty good indicator of what to expect.

and since the 1990s i have taken a stand on millions of positions and scenarios on here...and have used 1 principal or rule when sticking my neck out there and making a statement for all to take shots at.

and more often than not...i am correct.

and that is the Rule of Common Sense.

doug marrone will NEVER be a NFL HC EVER AGAIN.

Full_Rebar said:
I would imagine that Marrone will never subscribe to the NY Daily News. The sad thing is that Mehta can now tout the fact that he convinced a NFL team to change their mind when selecting a new HC. He should be replacing Bayless on First Take.

That's if you think NFL owners and management don't do due diligence on their HC hires and just base everything on an article.

If Doug plans on retiring soon this was the right play. Get your 4 million in your pocket, find some potential stability and stay for a few years with less pressure. We all know that he doesn't intend on retiring, and he played a game and it really didn't work in his favor. The $4million guarantee is great, but if he fails to ever get a HC job again, and has done irreparable damage to his reputation it will take all of 2 years for the difference in salary to net negative. Funny how a change in the wind can change someones fortunes. If he landed a HC job this year it would have been a very savvy move. Now he is at the Assistant HC for a horrible franchise.

That's if you think NFL owners and management don't do due diligence on their HC hires and just base everything on an article.

Certain pro owners are absolutely capable of doing this based upon public opinion/perception. It's not just the Jets, who could be labeled as an incompetent organization.

The Sacramento Kings owner fired his HC for not wanting to play 4 on 5 on defense. Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they are logical when it comes to their franchise.

yep.

although...past performance is no guarantee of future results...it is a pretty good indicator of what to expect.

and since the 1990s i have taken a stand on millions of positions and scenarios on here...and have used 1 principal or rule when sticking my neck out there and making a statement for all to take shots at.

and more often than not...i am correct.

and that is the Rule of Common Sense.

doug marrone will NEVER be a NFL HC EVER AGAIN.
Why? Becuase owners don't like people to leave on their own terms and take 4 million with them? They want to be the ones to say goodbuy... Good for Doug. He will have to figure out a way to present this situation in a positive way. Given time and some other positions...he will get another chance. There have been NFL coaches who have done just as bad..if not worse...and come back...see Pete Carrol

has any offensive line coach ever been hired as a head coach?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely

Not sure how people can be so sure that he'll never be a HC in the NFL again just one day after Gary Kubiak- who failed in Houston was just handed the keys to a team who believes they are a SB contender.

I'm not saying Marrone is going to be the next HC of the Giants, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see him named HC of the Titans heading into 2016.
kubiak's winning percentage in houston was better than marrone's and he made the playoffs and won games in the playoffs and doesn't leave head coaching jobs for offensive line jobs

has any offensive line coach ever been hired as a head coach?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely

Mike Munchak was hired as the Titans HC after Jeff Fisher was fired. Munchak was the Titans OL coach and was never a coordinator.

Is that different than pensions then? My father doesn't pay NYS income tax on his pension from when he worked in NYS.
Teacher? Some NY employees pensions are exempted from NY taxes by special laws not provided to the hard working private sector people of NY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom