Marrone To The Jags... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone To The Jags...

As I always tell folks who come to me for job advice when they are unhappy in their jobs: It is much easier to get a new job when you HAVE a job. No matter how unhappy you are, stick it out in your current job because your job search will be that much easier. Fairly or unfairly, people without jobs are frequently looked upon as "damaged goods."
Well in the real world that's solid advice but in this case that would have been called tampering-

Alsacs said:
He is positioned to be interim HC when Jacksonsville's crazy owner eventually fires Gus Bradley. Bradley is 7-25(two of those 7 are against a Tennessee team trying to lose and the NYG giving them the game) in two years. He could get popped next yr if the Jags start off bad.

Isn't the Jags owner a "friend" odlf a former poster? I wonder what fanfanclubclub (I think) has to say about this...

After Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns he joined Bill Parcells New England Patriots staff as the secondary coach. He went from secondary coach to HC of NYJ and was hired by New England.

You don't need to be a coordinator. San Francisco just hired the DL coach to be their next HC.

If you're gonna get 3 cheap likes at least be right. He was Parcells' DC with the Jets.

Most coaches would rather be Dwight Schrute for 5 than for 1.

I'm not saying it's not a rather large fall and that he wouldn't want to be an NFL HC right now. I was responding to the guy who said "Anyone spinning this as a positive is kidding themselves" by pointing out it's not exactly a cushion-less fall.
coaching the bills was an option

"I think if he was fired by the Bills he would not have been a HC for many years. " disagree. plenty of fired coaches get another shot

"He was not lasting more than 1 year with the Bills the way they are running the team now anyway." disagree. marrone would've reported to pegula who was willing to give him an extension despite there being 2 years left. the way they're running the team now would've been to his benefit compared to him reporting to whaley

It wouldn't have taken "many" years to get another gig, but if he's interviewing for a job next year, he looks better if he can say "I rebuilt Syracuse, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and now want to help rebuild your team" rather than "I had some early success but my new owner fired me. Will you take me?"

And I personally think Pegula is full of regarding offering him an extension. Even if he did offer one, it probably wasn't a very good offer if I had to guess. Likely one of those offers just so that he can say he gave him an offer (ex: what the Cowboys are doing to DeMarco Murray). It was pretty much an established fact that Marrone and the front office didn't see eye to eye. I really doubt the new owner's first move was going to be to not bring in a new coach and rather retain the coach that the front office dislikes.

Now Marrone gets to work with a young offensive unit that literally has nowhere to go but up (and yet he can still enjoy the rebuilding process that he likes) while being paid like a head coach and potentially increasing his odds of being paid like a head coach going forwards. Also sets himself up to interview for the Titans job if Whisenhunt is canned next year or the Jags job if the offense improves but the defense is lackluster and they fire Bradley.

Jacksonville does have a displaced home game in London every year, so it's a savvy move by them.

Bob Casullo is feeling powerful right now.
bulgarian-weightlifting2.jpg

I would take Marrone back as the HC of SU in a cocaine heartbeat over what we have now. I was harsh on Marrone but he was a coach who prepared our team well every week.

Hey, we could use an Oline coach! Just kidding. I agree he had a game plan and the team was on the same page during his tenure. I appreciate what he did for SU. There were, however, shortfalls too. One of them was his lack of desire to recruit. We also had lots of penalties. Offense wasn't great either until 2012.

We have not heard Doug speak on this at all...Maybe he didn't want to be in Buffalo under whatever conditions that existed that he didn't like. It's his life, he made the choice, why are we all trying to label this as a mistake, bad decision, when all it it could have been was a decision that was his to make...and he made it and can live with how it turned out?

We've not heard Doug speak on a lot of things...

It wouldn't have taken "many" years to get another gig, but if he's interviewing for a job next year, he looks better if he can say "I rebuilt Syracuse, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and now want to help rebuild your team" rather than "I had some early success but my new owner fired me. Will you take me?"

And I personally think Pegula is full of . . . . regarding offering him an extension. Even if he did offer one, it probably wasn't a very good offer if I had to guess. Likely one of those offers just so that he can say he gave him an offer (ex: what the Cowboys are doing to DeMarco Murray). It was pretty much an established fact that Marrone and the front office didn't see eye to eye. I really doubt the new owner's first move was going to be to not bring in a new coach and rather retain the coach that the front office dislikes.

Now Marrone gets to work with a young offensive unit that literally has nowhere to go but up (and yet he can still enjoy the rebuilding process that he likes) while being paid like a head coach and potentially increasing his odds of being paid like a head coach going forwards. Also sets himself up to interview for the Titans job if Whisenhunt is canned next year or the Jags job if the offense improves but the defense is lackluster and they fire Bradley.
pegula wasn't in a position to clean house top to bottom he doesn't know anyone yet. he would've protected marrone from whaley by having marrone report to him and his wife. besides, it's not like marrone was in the last year of his deal. there's no reason to think pegula is a liar, there's nothing from his time with the sabres or the bills that gives me that impression

pegula wasn't in a position to clean house top to bottom he doesn't know anyone yet. he would've protected marrone from whaley by having marrone report to him and his wife. besides, it's not like marrone was in the last year of his deal. there's no reason to think pegula is a liar, there's nothing from his time with the sabres or the bills that gives me that impression

I just don't think it's believable to be honest. It's not that Pegula is a liar. He may have very well offered an extension. But he probably made an offer he knew Marrone would turn down so that Pegula could say he tried.

Edit: And Pegula has owned the team for like 4 months now (officially). Owners clean house all the time in the NFL.

And coaches are fired before their contract expires all the time too. How many years he had left on his contract doesn't matter very much.

Such hate for the man on here. Good lord, it's not like he put our program in a worse position.

He clearly took a gamble and lost out... for now. He is HC-in-waiting in Jax, mark it down.

The Bills fans on here are unreal. It's funny to see how much animosity they have towards a guy that they disliked while he was "their" HC... LOL.

Anyone know why marrone opted out of leaving SU without a degree?

He heard that if you never earned a degree, you could return to SU 20 years later and get paid 3x more than other head coach in your sport... He just picked the wrong sport to be named HC in since he ended up getting less than his counterparts.

Such hate for the man on here. Good lord, it's not like he put our program in a worse position.

He clearly took a gamble and lost out... for now. He is HC-in-waiting in Jax, mark it down.

The Bills fans on here are unreal. It's funny to see how much animosity they have towards a guy that they disliked while he was "their" HC... LOL.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Just as many football alums and donors at SU disliked the guy too. Not just Bills fans.

As has been said many times, there's a theme developing.

has any offensive line coach ever been hired as a head coach?

he's going to need to be a coordinator next year to get a HC job in 2016 at the earliest.

taking the 4 mil and running could've been a good long term financial move if he'd a) gotten a HC job this year or b) gotten an OC job this year and a HC job in 2016.

1 year as Jags OL coach + 1 year ?? OC + 4 Million from buffalo < 2 years as buffalo HC 8 million

the only way this turned out good for him if he thought he was going to get canned next year. but pegula offered him an extension, that wasn't likely

Tony Sparano? I think the Raiders promoted a few of their meathead OL coaches to HC over the past 15 years or so.

If Doug plans on retiring soon this was the right play. Get your 4 million in your pocket, find some potential stability and stay for a few years with less pressure. We all know that he doesn't intend on retiring, and he played a game and it really didn't work in his favor. The $4million guarantee is great, but if he fails to ever get a HC job again, and has done irreparable damage to his reputation it will take all of 2 years for the difference in salary to net negative. Funny how a change in the wind can change someones fortunes. If he landed a HC job this year it would have been a very savvy move. Now he is at the Assistant HC for a horrible franchise.

Agreed. The $4m is great but a big pay check ultimately won't make a normal person happy with their career choice. If it were all about how much people made, we'd all be rooting for hedge fund managers instead of coaches and players.

Well we went 3-9 this year, so...

He was also the HC to be for the Jets.

Again - he sold himself to this fanbase as a guy who knew exactly what he was getting into, then apparently didn't.

Perhaps there is, but it is still laughable to see the reactions.

It's also laughable to see the excuses made for the same individual.

Again, I don't hate the guy - he did what he thought was best in every situation.

But he also isn't the savior that so many of you portray him to be.

It's also laughable to see the excuses made for the same individual.

Again, I don't hate the guy - he did what he thought was best in every situation.

But he also isn't the savior that so many of you portray him to be.

No he isn't a "savior" so-to-speak, but he certainly doesn't deserve such vitriol. It's a joke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom