Maryland Gameday... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Gameday...

Well I have to say I'm surprised by people attacking coaches already. I thought the defense looked much improved and the offense putting up 10 on Maryland's D with the players we have fully healthy right now leaves me feeling good about the prospects for this season. We are 2 games into a coaching change. Go look at how Virginia did in year 1 when Lars took over. Is there plenty for the team to work on? Sure, but I'm also optimistic about this season and the trajectory of the program overall. Get behind this team and you'll find you'll be on the right side of history!

just frustrated as it is always next year when so and so gets here or whatever. I know I should be happy about today for competing but thought by now we would see more on offense. This is what year 3 for March. Losing Hiltz hurts but even last year with him there was not a lot of great ball movement and production for many of the games. Maybe it is a hot take and a reactionary one to a tough loss in a game we never led. Just how I feel
He can’t make them pass the ball from the sidelines. Their spacing and decision making was poor. Maryland also had a great game plan to double the ball regularly. This a game to learn from.

He can’t make them pass the ball from the sidelines. Their spacing and decision making was poor. Maryland also had a great game plan to double the ball regularly. This a game to learn from.
Yep. Great point. hope they get better and learn from this game.

Thought the Orange would adjust to those double teams and find some more offensively in the second half.

the elite SU teams always got better as the year went along. Hope that is the case this season

Hiltz, Spalinna & Dordevic 2022-2033 surely has to be the best attack in country right?

Edit: Finaly might get moved to attack and Dordevic back to middie but Dordevic Is playing out of his mind at attack so that would be a tough thing to do

If Spallina lives up to the hype then SU should have a very good attack line next year. A lot of other good ones out there, UVa will still have Shellenberger and Cormier with Schutz or their top five recruit. Duke will still have O’Neil and Williams. Notre Dame will have both Kavanaughs. I’m sure other top teams like Maryland will grab a top transfer or two. Syracuse will be in good shape though.

It’s wild to me that this game is streaming only. Probably one of the biggest early season matchups this year. Think they’d want to get as many eyes as possible on this game
Sunday is women's b-ball day on the ACC Network. Had a tripleheader starting at noon.

For what it’s worth, Buttermore, Quinn and Birtwistle were all coming back from injury. They combined to score four goals. Have to imagine they’ll be better going forward and that’s a pretty good performance regardless.

No sign of Clary or Caccomo this week, I thought the later might be back this week. So they were down two starters and still played pretty well.

Caccamo was dressed and on the sideline. I'm not sure if he is hurt or just not what the coaches/fans expected. He might just not be a top 4/5 defender for Cuse right now. Clary was in sweats however.

I thought Alexo looked good. Even when Clary is back, Alexo should see significant minutes.

Phaup was the best player in white today IMHO. I know Tucker was great, but Phaup was equally as dominant, especially after two early violations in the first quarter.

Couldn't watch, but I'm pleased by what I read and hear. If we're going to blame coaches, I'll point my finger at Desko --just out of habit.

It looks like we may avoid the dip that UVA went through when Starsia retired. I sure hope we can copy their subsequent success.

Caccamo was dressed and on the sideline. I'm not sure if he is hurt or just not what the coaches/fans expected. He might just not be a top 4/5 defender for Cuse right now. Clary was in sweats however.

I thought Alexo looked good. Even when Clary is back, Alexo should see significant minutes.

Phaup was the best player in white today IMHO. I know Tucker was great, but Phaup was equally as dominant, especially after two early violations in the first quarter.

Caccamo is definitely hurt

Didn’t he do good against cross?

Caccamo is definitely hurt
Yea I’d agree. He looked nice in holy cross and I heard the coaching staff is really high on him.. caccamo, Dwan and alexo will look crazy if all live up to potential

We lost to the #1 team in the country by 4 when most thought we would get blown out. I am looking forward to seeing this team improve as the season goes. On to the next game!
The offense was a huge problem today, aside from lack of scoring they turned over the ball way too much, which made it really hard on our defense. I thought the defense played pretty well over all, except for not sliding on a couple of their goals. Phaup played very well at faceoff.
Dordevic was the offense today, others must pick up their play going forward.
First big test, against a quality team and they failed, but it is early and I expect they will get better.

Cook is god awful, it’s AMAZING that he was a 5 star recruit
I thought cook had a good game. I think curry and seebold had bad games. Probably should end the curry at attack experiment.

I get critiques but I dont get the negativity. I came into this game with no false delusions after HC romp. A 20-8 loss wouldn't have surprised

Maryland is either 1 or 1a with UVA . A depleted Cuse O scrambled back to make it 9-8 after being down 7-2. Phaup got the best of a good fogo in Weirman who dominated in his first two games .Losing our orchestrator in Hiltz three weeks ago is a huge blow that team is still adjusting to . Very encouraging to see Quinn emerged after being on DL for over a month , Good to see Birtwhistle on field after being out for 2 months . Great to see Buttermore who has been out since last April. Those mids are going to shake rust and get better and youngsters such as Corsi and Cordes will contribute and Curry's shot is not off frequently . Our D looked much better than last, Kennedy took Khan out of the game while hedging well . Frattergio did a fine job on Malever. Slides were good in settled situations , slides in unsettled transition are hesitant for a reason. Have to look at tape again to see Winauskaus and other mids but overall D showed well agaisnt a top offense. Caccamo is healthy and Clary will return soon to back Olexo .Gavin has been here only two months yet is comfortable .UVA next and be a letdown is team is not competitive but give team some credit today. They could have folded their tent but didnt and got right back into game after a slow start. Kudos to them

I see this is a rebuilding season. When you lose most of your scorers from the previous season, some reloading/rebuilding is necessary, so my expectations were set on the low side. But I was encouraged by SU's performance today. Goalie play, although shaky in the first quarter, got progressively better as game went on and the same for faceoffs. Both bright spots,

There were a few areas that kept the Orange from upsetting Maryland. I said this last week as well. The passing isn't where it should be, passes were either too low or too high. There were too many unforced turnovers, mostly poorly-timed passes or just plain off the mark. And, different from last week, was the lack of ball movement, too much ISO play. Maryland doubled alot, more than I expected, but the ball carrier with his back to the goal couldn't find the open man. Here I think the communication could have helped the ball carrier get positioned better for dumping the ball to the open man. I couldn't help but feel we beat ourselves against a stacked number 1 team.

Anyway, two games into the season and looking at the stats (except for the score) from today's game where we played Maryland even. I can see this is going to be a very good season.

Question for any docs here. They showed a picture of Hiltz (?) on the sidelines with his right arm in a pretty big sling.

Does this tell you anything? Arm? Collarbone? Hangnail? :)

I thought cook had a good game. I think curry and seebold had bad games. Probably should end the curry at attack experiment.

Curry ran with the 1st middies, and a little with the 2nd mids.

Question for any docs here. They showed a picture of Hiltz (?) on the sidelines with his right arm in a pretty big sling.

Does this tell you anything? Arm? Collarbone? Hangnail? :)

Collarbone or sprained shoulder.

Didn't see his arm in a cast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom