Maryland to the Big Ten? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

No offense, but I don't base my opinion on someone's motive on whether they know you Bees. But thanks for giving it the Bees Seal of Approval.

What do you honestly think my motive is?

No offense, but I don't base my opinion on someone's motive on whether they know you Bees. But thanks for giving it the Bees Seal of Approval.

You're welcome.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You are missing the overall point which is how likely is it that Maryland will leave the ACC alone, risking that some other ACC schools will eventual follow? At whatever likelihood it was that FSU would leave the ACC alone (at least they are the league's big dog in terms of football), take that small figure and cut it down three-quarters.

What we likely have here is the same thing that was in effect with FSU. Some influential donor/BOT member isn't happy with the size of Maryland's athletic budget and is trying to manuever them out of the ACC for perceived greener pastures elsewhere. After a few days (assuming it is even being seriously considered) the institution as a whole will come to the realization that it would be nuts for an institutional culture that sees itself as a tweener between southern and northeastern to go to a conference that is culturally midwestern and the plain states.

More importantly, what makes this rumor even less likely than FSU to the Big 12, is that the Big 12 had a huge reason for wanting FSU in its ranks, whereas the BiG has a so/so reason.

Cheers,
Neil

At this point, I don't believe Maryland cares whether anyone else leaves. The Big Ten might care as it pertains to future moves, but with Maryland operating at a deficit, jumping to a league that projects to earn an additional $10 mil/yr. in revenue probably negates the concern of being the lone ranger.

A lot has happened in the past year. The ACC TV deal was considered disappointing relative to the expectations for it. And last week, the SEC and Big Ten got a bigger boost revenue wise with the way the new BCS/playoff distributions will work. Both leagues have $40 million each for their share of their tie-in bowls, while the ACC's share is $30 million and the other half of the share will go to... the Big Ten or SEC in most years. That will mean most years the Big Ten or SEC are bringing in another $40 million above and beyond the ACC from the playoff revenue alone.

I'm sure that's something Maryland is considering. And I doubt they care now if no one follows them.

At this point, I don't believe Maryland cares whether anyone else leaves. The Big Ten might care as it pertains to future moves, but with Maryland operating at a deficit, jumping to a league that projects to earn an additional $10 mil/yr. in revenue probably negates the concern of being the lone ranger.

A lot has happened in the past year. The ACC TV deal was considered disappointing relative to the expectations for it. And last week, the SEC and Big Ten got a bigger boost revenue wise with the way the new BCS/playoff distributions will work. Both leagues have $40 million each for their share of their tie-in bowls, while the ACC's share is $30 million and the other half of the share will go to... the Big Ten or SEC in most years. That will mean most years the Big Ten or SEC are bringing in another $40 million above and beyond the ACC from the playoff revenue alone.

I'm sure that's something Maryland is considering. And I doubt they care now if no one follows them.

Here we go with New Math that WVU fans made infamous the past 10 months. :crazy:

On game day, I don't have the heart or will to show you how off your projections are. But I'm sure later this week, if the rumor is still going, I will find it.

Cheers,
Neil

Here we go with New Math that WVU fans made infamous the past 10 months. :crazy:

On game day, I don't have the heart or will to show you how off your projections are. But I'm sure later this week, if the rumor is still going, I will find it.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah all this fuzzy math is funny. Kyle is embarrassing himself. The B1G isn't going to expand just for the sake of expanding. MD and RU would have to add significant value. Also ESPN doesn't pay per school. Just adding two schools does not mean that ESPN will keep the $/team the same. The overall contract $ will go up but will it go up proportionally for MD and RU? I highly doubt that. So how does the B1G make up that deficit? Adding MD and RU also means that the BCS/Bowl money is split two more ways. How does the B1G make up that deficit? The BTN being at the home school rate in MD and NJ will add more $ but is it really enough to cover adding MD/RU to the ESPN TV $, BCS/Bowl money, and on top of that add at least $15 million to the B1G? BTW that rate is like $0.70 not $1. Which means in those states the B1G gets $0.60 more per subscriber. In addition doesn't the B1G split BTN money with FIX their partner? So they don't see all of that new $.

Another factor is that the B1G shares ticket revenue. Do the 75k+ schools in the B1G really want to share revenue with two schools that can't get 50k to show up for games? The B1G is MW in culture why do they want to add two NE schools? Many would rather dump PSU than continue East. MD cares most about BBall and Lax. A B1G move would hurt significantly for both. Finally why would the B1G want to add two horrible run athletic departments? One of which just started trying in FB in 2004? Wouldn't they fear that RU could just leach off the B1G once they get in?

This is so silly for all parties. It makes no sense for the B1G. It makes no sense for MD. It would only benefit RU but no one 30 mins outside that campus cares about RU.

Don't think it was mentioned here, but don't forget the Nebraska addition paid their entry by enabling the B10 to have a conference championship. That's worth a lot of beans alone.

I'm wondering if MD graduate and ESPN personality as well as MC for one of JB's cancer balls is legit for giving this thing legs?

I'm wondering if MD graduate and ESPN personality as well as MC for one of JB's cancer balls is legit for giving this thing legs?

Chuck Todd (Miami grad) was tweeting about Miami and the Big 12 a couple of months ago.

This is how we found about going to the ACC - we read it in The New York Times when our AD got busted.

Chuck Todd (Miami grad) was tweeting about Miami and the Big 12 a couple of months ago.

This is how we found about going to the ACC - we read it in The New York Times when our AD got busted.

Someone like a VanPelt whether he knows anything or not really shouldn't talk about it because its completely different than a dude from wv. I personally don't think it happens but I believe there is smoke and discussions solely based upon the "level" of people discussing it and there are many.

Well, now I see that Boneyard "media expert" Waylon Smithers aka nelsonmuntz is suggesting that perhaps this rumor was planted by Mike Aresco as a means of lighting a fire under NBC's butt to strike a BIG deal with the NNBE pronto or else forever be shut out from CFB (Notre Dame and the Ivy League excepted).

This story was manufactured in a 20-something's basement and has found a lot of wishful thinkers and provocateurs who are willing to discuss and spread the tale. I find it very amusing and entirely without credibility. So much so that I hereby pledge NEVER to post on Syracusefan.com again if Maryland announces its intent to join the B1G before 12:01 AM on Tuesday, November 20, 2012.

I just don't see what Maryland hopes to gain with such a move. It is totally illogical. Besides $$$, and I would argue that any monetary gains are purely speculative and probably wrong at this point, it makes ZERO sense. And I don't think it will ever make sense financially for them. Ever.

Two things I know for sure:

1). Duke and UNC are NEVER leaving the ACC. EVER.
2). The ACC will be banking nearly as much as the BIG when all of this shifting finally shakes out.

I would say that the chances of PSU joining the ACC are much higher than the chances of Maryland leaving the ACC. And no one is following MD anywhere, at least not from the ACC.

Swofford should just move on PSU right now and let the BiG backfill with RU, Cinci, Louisville and UConn. Get the inevitable overwith.

If it's MD alone, I don't see how it helps the B1G. Plus, I think it's a hard sell to the fans - have fun traveling to Iowa City and Minneapolis.

That being said, if we can trade MD for PSU, I'll take it.

told ESPN.com on Saturday.

If Maryland goes to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for an potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.

Maryland president Wallace Loh has been handling the conversation with Big Ten officials, a source said.

One source told ESPN.com that Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson has informed key staffers that there are ongoing discussions.

One stumbling block for Maryland could be finances. Maryland's athletic department has recently dropped sports because of budget issues, and the ACC recently raised its exit fee to $50 million.

Maryland and Florida State were the only two out of 12 schools that voted against a $50 million exit fee out of the ACC, but lost the vote. Loh was quoted in the Washington Post on Sept. 13 that he was against the hike from $20 to $50 million on "legal and philosophical" grounds. The Post reported that Loh said Maryland planned to be in the ACC for years to come.

Maryland recently dropped seven sports and having to pay $50 million would be hard to digest for the athletic department and campus.

A source told ESPN.com that the Big Ten has been itchy about further expansion since Notre Dame made its official move to the ACC two months ago in all sports other than football. The source said the Big Ten can justify Maryland and then possibly Rutgers since they are all contiguous states to the Big Ten footprint.

One source told ESPN.com that Loh and Anderson don't have ACC ties so there wouldn't be a strong emotional pull to stay with the conference. Loh is a former provost at Big Ten member Iowa.

However, the chancellor of the Maryland system, Brit Kirwan, has been on the Maryland campus for 30 years and has strong affiliation for being a charter member of the ACC, according to a source.

One source with Maryland ties said there is a strong affinity for the ACC and making the move to the Big Ten may not be a unanimous decision among the school's board of regents.

Big Ten officials did not respond to numerous requests seeking comment. ACC officials also did not respond to a request for comment. Maryland officials would not comment when asked after the Terps' football game on Saturday.

If these dominoes were to fall then Connecticut would emerge as the next most likely candidate to fill Maryland in the ACC. The ACC will be at 14 members in 2013-14 with the addition of the Big East's Pitt and Syracuse and 15 in all sports except football when Notre Dame joins, which could be as early as the fall of 2013.

Rutgers' exit fee from the Big East would be less expensive. The buyout to leave the Big East is $10 million if the school provides 27 months of notice before leaving. However, the league has allowed West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Syracuse to leave the league without honoring the 27-month requirement by paying a higher exit fee.

The loss of Rutgers would be the latest in a long line of teams fleeing the Big East. The Scarlet Knights would be the ninth member of the Big East to leave or announce they were leaving the league since 2004. Six of those defections have occurred in the past year -- Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Notre Dame to the ACC; TCU and West Virginia to the Big 12 and Rutgers to the Big Ten.

The Scarlet Knights were charter members of the Big East's football conference, which began in 1991.

Maryland also was a charter member of the ACC, one of eight schools to start the league in 1953.

Both Maryland and Rutgers are members of the AAU (Association of American Universities), something vital to Big Ten presidents. The addition of the two East Coast schools would dramatically stretch the Big Ten's footprint. With Maryland holding down the Beltway, Rutgers offering up the New York market and Penn State the league has a solid anchor in the mid-Atlantic states.

Maryland and Rutgers would also make the nation's richest conference even wealthier. Last season, each Big Ten school received a record $24.6 million in shared revenue, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. One source said the success of the Big Ten Network is an intriguing factor for Maryland.

If the two schools join the Big Ten, it would reopen what many thought was a stable time in the conference realignment process. The Big Ten joins the SEC as a legitimate 14-team superconference, while the ACC drops to 13 football members and likely will pursue another all-sports member to get back to 14.

ACC commissioner John Swofford said at ACC media day and during the news conference when the Irish were added that the league wouldn't go beyond 14 football members and could easily exist with an odd number (15) in men's and women's basketball. But if a football member were to leave, the ACC would likely have to make a move.

Maryland, meanwhile, will become only the second school to leave the ACC. South Carolina was the other, leaving in 1971 to become an independent. The Gamecocks are now members of the Southeastern Conference.

In the past few years, the nation's top five conferences -- SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC -- have added a total of 10 new members, causing a domino effect throughout the college landscape from coast to coast.
Dana O'Neil, Brett McMurphy and Andy Katz are all college sports reporters for ESPN. ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg and Heather Dinich contributed to this report.

Lol...sorry, Kyle. You may be right.

He might be. But I'm going to keep posting until midnight on Monday.

If this turns out to be true will it open the gates of hell? Maybe. If the PAC is forced to get bigger where else can it go but the Big 12, right?

Scott Van Peezy. Bonnie Bernstein, too, is a UMD grad. She has an interesting nickname that's pretty popular around that campus.

About time one of the rumors I've heard on the internet turns out to be true.

Julio Jones still has two unbroken legs...

While it may be true, it just does not make sense to me, from MD's standpoint OR from the B1G's standpoint. Other than finally obtaining the USC of the East :))), how does this improve the B1G? I just don't get it. It seems like expansion for expansion's sake.

Time for Swofford to go for the jugular. Screw the BIG. Get ND to agree to join in all sports in 3 years with PSU as the #16. Conference in with ND and the PSU bigwigs and pull this rug out from under the BIG. The BIG was clearly shaken up by the ND to ACC announcement, and any words otherwise would be false. They feel exposed now. Get PSU and then let Maryland think about their options.

Its interesting anyway but could blow up in Big 10's face. Rumors were last year Notre Dame, Texas and Oklahoma, and possibly St had discussions with the ACC. We know Notre Dame and Texas are close. Notre Dame and Texas might decide to screw the Big 10 big time. Put Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Notre Dame in the ACC 1st super conference, won't miss Maryland at all. That actually makes more sense for the Texas and Oklahoma schools then being in the Pac 12. The GOR wouldn't stop those 4 teams from leaving, anything can be brokered. That conference network would make the Big 10 and Pac 12 networks look like midgets, in comparison.

If this turns out to be true will it open the gates of hell? Maybe. If the PAC is forced to get bigger where else can it go but the Big 12, right?

If I was the Pac12 I'd give some thought to adding FSU, Clemson, VaTech, and perhaps NC State for football only.

If Rutgers pulls this move off god bless them and tip your cap to them. Seriously, if they find a way to sneak into the Big 10 more power to them!

The Big 10 is just looking to add TV markets. DC area and NYC area is why these 2 schools are targeted. Nothing more, nothing less!!! This has nothing to do with on the field stuff at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom