Maryland to the Big Ten? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Maryland to the Big Ten?

Maybe you should start by telling me what your problem is. I don't understand the hostility. I don't have an agenda. I have always thought there was a good chance Maryland would end up in the Big Ten. I was saying last October on this board that there was legitimate mutual interest. Now you have Scott Van Pelt, a Maryland site publisher, a Scout recruiting analyst, a radio host and a Big Ten site publisher all saying it's going to happen and yet I supposedly have an agenda. It's very bizarre.

Yes, we don't see your name unless expansion comes up. There is no hostility. I find your presence strange. Why are you on a syracuse board as a penn state fan trumpeting Maryland?

Lol...wow. Talk about a revisionist memory. Anyway, your "reports" are nothing more than Internet fodder, with no legitimate news source having reported anything. At least the Dude provoked a response from the moron on FSU's BOT-you don't even have that.

Still scoffing on MD, by the way. You continue to be "0-x" on conference predictions, but I wish you well.

Well you know all about revisionist history, then, because I haven't made very many 'predictions.' Almost everything I've said on here has been from a standpoint of what the Big Ten is *trying* to do, not what will actually happen. I never claimed Maryland would definitely end up in the Big Ten. All I ever said was there was legitimate discussions going on and mutual interest and that if they didn't leave the ACC, it wouldn't be because of the exit fees. But because there hasn't been confirmation from them about talking to the Big Ten (and why would they admit that publicly anyhow?), the only way it's going to be proven to you that it was legitimate all along is if/when they do end up in the Big Ten.

Yes, we don't see your name unless expansion comes up. There is no hostility. I find your presence strange. Why are you on a syracuse board as a penn state fan trumpeting Maryland?

I could have sworn kyle was a Buckeye fan, not a Nit fan. Still, the overall point is valid.

Cheers,
Neil

I've been around at other times too. Yeah I admit I am fascinated by the expansion stuff just as you are and many others are. Why is that strange? By the way, the reason I started coming to the board was because I wrote a couple of articles for the site several years ago when I was employed by Scout. I did a couple of freelance stories for Rick. Since then, I've been a semi-regular visitor to the board. Sometimes I post, often I just read.

Anyhow, I'm not "trumpeting" Maryland. I just think there is a good possibility they're going to end up in the Big Ten and am stating as such in a thread dedicated to the rumors that they're going to end up in the Big Ten. Not sure why that's out of place.

I've been around at other times too. Yeah I admit I am fascinated by the expansion stuff just as you are and many others are. Why is that strange? By the way, the reason I started coming to the board was because I wrote a couple of articles for the site several years ago when I was employed by Scout. I did a couple of freelance stories for Rick. Since then, I've been a semi-regular visitor to the board. Sometimes I post, often I just read.

Anyhow, I'm not "trumpeting" Maryland. I just think there is a good possibility they're going to end up in the Big Ten and am stating as such in a thread dedicated to the rumors that they're going to end up in the Big Ten. Not sure why that's out of place.

Judging from your twitter feed, looks like your hope is tht the ACC is destabilized and forces ND to big 10. Or you are looking for the destabilization to create a wave of other ACC defections (ie UVA, Duke, UNC etc). Why not just say this?

Judging from your twitter feed, looks like your hope is tht the ACC is destabilized and forces ND to big 10. Or you are looking for the destabilization to create a wave of other ACC defections (ie UVA, Duke, UNC etc). Why not just say this?

I think the Big Ten still has some aspirations of that, which is what I made reference to on Twitter. Personally, my preference for the Big Ten would be Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and Duke. I've finally grown tired of Notre Dame's preferential treatment, so I say let the ACC deal with that. But again, I'm really not coming at this from what I *want* as much as what I think the Big Ten is trying to do. What I think they'll end up doing is taking Maryland and Rutgers or just Maryland for now and waiting to see if Florida State and Clemson wind up leaving for the Big 12.

I'm sure Kyle comes around because as some of forgot or didn't know, he wrote some recruiting articles for us at another site. We didn't have anyone and he was writing I believe for Indiana, the midwest and B10. He was kind enough to help us out for awhile. He's good people.

Not sure why the venom towards him. He's not trolling. Just conveying what he has heard and read. He's not the DudeofWVU. Guys like Grosz and VanPelt are talking about this. At least they are somewhat legit media and not internet trolls.

Not sure if the Maryland move happens but Kyle isn't here just to blow smoke and piss people off. Realignment is something that interests him and he's here discussing it with a fanbase he has a small connection with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What part of this is fiction? I can pull up a post from a year ago where I said the Big Ten and Maryland had mutual interest and people brushed it off and said there's no way.

Now here we are and there are more and more people coming out and saying it's looking like it's going to happen. The Scout southern recruiting analyst just said today that Maryland will end up in the Big Ten, possibly as early as next week.

I guess you should reclassify this into the non-fiction section, yes?

The Scout southern recruiting analyst???? So like Bob Licky, but southern?

I think the Big Ten still has some aspirations of that, which is what I made reference to on Twitter. Personally, my preference for the Big Ten would be Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and Duke. I've finally grown tired of Notre Dame's preferential treatment, so I say let the ACC deal with that. But again, I'm really not coming at this from what I *want* as much as what I think the Big Ten is trying to do. What I think they'll end up doing is taking Maryland and Rutgers or just Maryland for now and waiting to see if Florida State and Clemson wind up leaving for the Big 12.

Kyle - I've seen you on numerous boards last night and today spreading this rumor??Why do you care so much? There is something strange about how your posting the same thing over and over again on numerous message boards? The majority of posters do not run around from board to board doing this type of thing?

I'm sure Kyle comes around because as some of forgot or didn't know, he wrote some recruiting articles for us at another site. We didn't have anyone and he was writing I believe for Indiana, the midwest and B10. He was kind enough to help us out for awhile. He's good people.

Not sure why the venom towards him. He's not trolling. Just conveying what he has heard and read. He's not the DudeofWVU. Guys like Grosz and VanPelt are talking about this. At least they are somewhat legit media and not internet trolls.

Not sure if the Maryland move happens but Kyle isn't here just to blow smoke and piss people off. Realignment is something that interests him and he's here discussing it with a fanbase he has a small connection with.

Venom? Gimme a break. I question his motives. Zero venom. I simply find it strange that's all.

I think Kyle has more in common with Chris Lambert and his ilk than you are willing to admit Bees.

Kyle - I've seen you on numerous boards last night and today spreading this rumor??Why do you care so much? There is something strange about how your posting the same thing over and over again on numerous message boards? The majority of posters do not run around from board to board doing this type of thing?

I just enjoy discussing it. Seriously that's all there is to it. I was discussing the Florida State stuff too and I had no vested interest whatsoever in FSU or the Big 12. I'm not sure what you expect me to say... it's a topic I enjoy. Expansion intrigues me. I'm hardly alone in that given how many sites have created separate forums for expansion discussion because of the amount of interest.

For those wondering if this would hit the mainstream, it now has. Yahoo Sports has a story up from the National Football Post saying the talk of Maryland to the Big Ten is "pretty serious."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-maryland-big-ten-pretty-185500708--nfl.html

They are reposting an article from David Miller of National Football Post who is the equivalent of Ingram Smith at Oliver.net who was adamant that FSU was going to the Big 12.

Miller's article names Grosz and Ermann who are the equivalent of the WVU and FSU sports boards "insiders" that Smith cited for support. The "sources" who spoke with Grosz and Ermann have not yet been identified.

However, the supposition behind both similar rumors, FSU to the Big 12 and now Maryland to the BiG, is that this will somehow cause others to join with the departing ACC team when they leave. For FSU, it was Clemson, Miami, and GT, possibly even VT instead of Miam. For Maryland, it's UNC, UVa, and Duke.

While I rarely say never, does anyone in their right minds truly believe that UNC, UVa, and Duke are going to leave for the BiG when Clemson, Miami, and GT didn't leave for the Big 12? Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

For those wondering if this would hit the mainstream, it now has. Yahoo Sports has a story up from the National Football Post saying the talk of Maryland to the Big Ten is "pretty serious."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source-maryland-big-ten-pretty-185500708--nfl.html

It might not be a bad idea to ratchet down the urgency, big fella. As Syracuse fans, we've been through this BS a bunch a times. There's no need to convince anyone here of anything. You can continue your post-a-minute pace but you're not going to stir up the frenzy and panic that you seem to be looking for. We realize that anything can happen and does. But we also realize that in this day and age, social media and generally sloppy, scoop-happy journalism can jump on a rumor and blow it up when there's really not much there to talk about. The Big Ten in particular goes about its business discreetly. If Maryland is ready to move, we probably won't know until it happens.

Say goodbye to the Big East if this ever happens.

They are reposting an article from David Miller of National Football Post who is the equivalent of Ingram Smith at Oliver.net who was adamant that FSU was going to the Big 12.

Miller's article names Grosz and Ermann who are the equivalent of the WVU and FSU sports boards "insiders" that Smith cited for support. The "sources" who spoke with Grosz and Ermann have not yet been identified.

However, the supposition behind both similar rumors, FSU to the Big 12 and now Maryland to the BiG, is that this will somehow cause others to join with the departing ACC team when they leave. For FSU, it was Clemson, Miami, and GT, possibly even VT instead of Miam. For Maryland, it's UNC, UVa, and Duke.

While I rarely say never, does anyone in their right minds truly believe that UNC, UVa, and Duke are going to leave for the BiG when Clemson, Miami, and GT didn't leave for the Big 12? Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

I took Miller's article as providing context for where the rumors started, not really sourcing them. It reads as if he has his own 'source' saying the talk was "pretty serious." Regardless, Yahoo! is credible and they felt the National Football Post is credible enough to reference. I don't know who Miller knows or where he's getting his info. But I've said it for over a year and I'll continue to say it: Maryland has been talking with the Big Ten. Last year I think they didn't want to do anything until they knew what the next ACC TV deal would be, nor did the Big Ten want to do anything until they knew what Notre Dame's next move was going to be. But now both of those things have cleared.

Do I think Virginia, UNC and Duke will leave as-is? No absolutely not. But if Maryland left to the Big Ten and Florida State and Clemson then left for the Big 12, I think they would be amendable to a little persuasion... especially if the SEC decided to go after Va. Tech and/or N.C. State.

Venom? Gimme a break. I question his motives. Zero venom. I simply find it strange that's all.

No one person in particular, just the cumulative effect.

But I don't get the questioning of his motive either? What motive? He's not someone that can influence anything that could happen, so there is no real motive unless you want to say he is trolling to stir up trouble. Which I have already said he isn't here for that since I know him and know its not his intent here.

The Big east is already dead as a power conference. Maryland to the b1g does nothing to change that. If it happens, RU will probably be a b1g team and Uconn will be ACC, but has already been relegated to mid major status with the new playoff system.

The Big East will never go away. The basketball onlies will keep it going because it makes financial sense. How else can schools such as Providence, Seton Hall and Depaul command 3 or 4 million more in revenue per year than Gonzaga, Xavier and VCU? Hitch you wago to a FBS football conference, regardless of how crappy it might be, and you are guaranteed to make more money than schools in basketball conferences such as the A10.

The Big east is already dead as a power conference. Maryland to the b1g does nothing to change that. If it happens, RU will probably be a b1g team and Uconn will be ACC, but has already been relegated to mid major status with the new playoff system.
That's the way I see it. But doubt the Big East exists beyond being a basketball conference.

No one person in particular, just the cumulative effect.

But I don't get the questioning of his motive either? What motive? He's not someone that can influence anything that could happen, so there is no real motive unless you want to say he is trolling to stir up trouble. Which I have already said he isn't here for that since I know him and know its not his intent here.

No offense, but I don't base my opinion on someone's motive on whether they know you Bees. But thanks for giving it the Bees Seal of Approval.

I took Miller's article as providing context for where the rumors started, not really sourcing them. It reads as if he has his own 'source' saying the talk was "pretty serious." Regardless, Yahoo! is credible and they felt the National Football Post is credible enough to reference. I don't know who Miller knows or where he's getting his info. But I've said it for over a year and I'll continue to say it: Maryland has been talking with the Big Ten. Last year I think they didn't want to do anything until they knew what the next ACC TV deal would be, nor did the Big Ten want to do anything until they knew what Notre Dame's next move was going to be. But now both of those things have cleared.

Do I think Virginia, UNC and Duke will leave as-is? No absolutely not. But if Maryland left to the Big Ten and Florida State and Clemson then left for the Big 12, I think they would be amendable to a little persuasion... especially if the SEC decided to go after Va. Tech and/or N.C. State.

You are missing the overall point which is how likely is it that Maryland will leave the ACC alone, risking that some other ACC schools will eventual follow? At whatever likelihood it was that FSU would leave the ACC alone (at least they are the league's big dog in terms of football), take that small figure and cut it down three-quarters.

What we likely have here is the same thing that was in effect with FSU. Some influential donor/BOT member isn't happy with the size of Maryland's athletic budget and is trying to manuever them out of the ACC for perceived greener pastures elsewhere. After a few days (assuming it is even being seriously considered) the institution as a whole will come to the realization that it would be nuts for an institutional culture that sees itself as a tweener between southern and northeastern to go to a conference that is culturally midwestern and the plain states.

More importantly, what makes this rumor even less likely than FSU to the Big 12, is that the Big 12 had a huge reason for wanting FSU in its ranks, whereas the BiG has a so/so reason.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom