Melo may be done in Houston | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Melo may be done in Houston

A modern day Bernard King.

Not even close. Games were entirely different plus Kings worst efficiency year was better than Melo's best. Melo was an ISO player that stalled ball movement, while King got the ball and made his move. Rebounding and assists were close but teams also took less shots (less boards and assists to be had). Until his tragic injury, King had put up some eye popping seasons. After the injury, his numbers were closer to Melo's, but maybe slightly better. Melo clearly the better 3 ball shooter.

I just can't see him not getting in first ballot.

Averaging 20PPG for 14 straight seasons is fairly amazing.

Anthony almost getting the Nuggets to the finals in 2009, and Iverson getting the 76ers (and that oddball roster) into the finals in 2001 are two of the more impressive events I can recall superstars accomplishing in the past 20 years.

The 8th place team in the West in 2009 had (young) Harden, Westbrook, and Durant. So, yeah, Melo pairing with Billups, JR Smith, and Kenyon Martin is kinda impressive for that run - especially when they were a clutch defensive play by Trevor Ariza away from making the finals. Making the playoffs for 10 straight years was an amazing accomplishment that nobody gives him credit for...it's insane.

He was better by most accounts (advanced stats, or otherwise) on offense for the Knicks, and just slightly worse defensively (but still on par with barely-criticized in comparison for his defense James Harden) - but pretty much the same player/performance overall. So, I just can't fathom him not getting in because he had a career surrounded by duds on the Knicks.

He's a lock.

Whole situation is bizarre. Can’t figure out of this is HOU trying to get him out or Melo trying to get out. Sadly if he can’t work with Russ/George or Paul/Harden it’s his issue now. Oh well. Great career

Melo has a strong ego and he is probably struggling with aging as a pro athlete. It happens to so many of them. Eli Manning will be next. They think they can still high level stuff but they can't except for occasional spurts under favorable circumstances. I'm an older guy and I have seen this so many times. Sad really. Looks like Wade did it about right.

Its been like 10 games. Even the Celtics look like they have chemistry issues. So ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous. This is an exact carry over from OKC. He has slowed down and is basically a spot up shooter who is not a great shooter. He simply cannot impose his will any longer.

Melo has a strong ego and he is probably struggling with aging as a pro athlete. It happens to so many of them. Eli Manning will be next. They think they can still high level stuff but they can't except for occasional spurts under favorable circumstances. I'm an older guy and I have seen this so many times. Sad really. Looks like Wade did it about right.
Don’t bring two time world champion Eli into this thread. Things may get ugly.

True. In all honesty also, Melo has seem to be more plugged into social issues and life outside of hoops than worrying about winning and not regressing as a player. Which is fine too, maybe it's time he puts his passion towards that and his son , future Cuse star as well...

George Gervin was a great player. Do you think Melo is all-time top 50 in the NBA? Gervin was.
I think right now he is just outside the top 50 in a lot of peoples eyes because of where he is in his career. Once he is 5-10 years removed I think he is a top 50 players and a top 15 scorer of all time in the league. George Gervin was a very good player too. I think they are both good. Hopefully that thought is allowed. I find it funny that people not yourself are basically saying Melo is overrated and was good at Syracuse but he is a lazy guy that can't play defense and they make it sound like he had 3 good seasons or something. Then they compare him to Worthy, Bird and KG.

No doubt Melo's past his prime. But that doesn't have to be a negative -- all athletes eventually slow down and retire. He's been in the league since 2003 and has had a HOF career.

Houston is a new situation, with D'Antoni - who runs a system (Triangle) that Melo has never been comfortable with (including D'Antoni's time in NY). Houston also has some problems that have nothing to do with Melo. Even in a perfect situation, it takes time - more than 10 games - for veteran players to fold into a new team. So some of your criticisms are jumping the gun.

I would also point out that the NBA - today - is not what it was when Melo came into the league. Teams still play in the half-court but there's MUCH more run and gun. "Space and Pace" doesn't favor Melo's physique or his game. Today's NBA looks like a tennis match. That may be part of it also .. it's a young man's game more than ever now. That doesn't mar Melo's career or make him a bust.

No doubt Melo's past his prime. But that doesn't have to be a negative -- all athletes eventually slow down and retire. He's been in the league since 2003 and has had a HOF career.

Houston is a new situation, with D'Antoni - who runs a system (Triangle) that Melo has never been comfortable with (including D'Antoni's time in NY). Houston also has some problems that have nothing to do with Melo. Even in a perfect situation, it takes time - more than 10 games - for veteran players to fold into a new team. So some of your criticisms are jumping the gun.

I would also point out that the NBA - today - is not what it was when Melo came into the league. Teams still play in the half-court but there's MUCH more run and gun. "Space and Pace" doesn't favor Melo's physique or his game. Today's NBA looks like a tennis match. That may be part of it also .. it's a young man's game more than ever now. That doesn't mar Melo's career or make him a bust.

I hear ya. But, all he has to do is camp out and be a spot up shooter in this somehow difficult to grasp offense. The problem is that he isn’t good at this anymore as alphaorange indicated. He also doesn’t help them in other areas. It’s hard to watch.

It's really unfortunate how the end stages of Melo's NBA career has unfolded. I know he'll always be cherished & revered around these parts, and rightfully so.

I hear ya. But, all he has to do is camp out and be a spot up shooter in this somehow difficult to grasp offense. The problem is that he isn’t good at this anymore as alphaorange indicated. He also doesn’t help them in other areas. It’s hard to watch.
Agree he doesn't look comfortable. He's not getting the ball in the spots he's used to. I thought he'd be more comfortable with CP running the offense than Harden. But nothing seems to be working right now.

Yeah melo is playing like absolute garbage this season, and that’s okay man. Was still a good move by the rockets. If he ended up playing good it’s a great move and if he doesn’t they can just let him go for cheap. About his legacy though...really does make ya think how much we might overemphasize winning
B6F907C8-1470-47DD-9815-AC7F203AED0F.png

Agree he doesn't look comfortable. He's not getting the ball in the spots he's used to. I thought he'd be more comfortable with CP running the offense than Harden. But nothing seems to be working right now.
How many games did he actually play with Paul, six or seven? And how many games did he play with both Paul and Harden? Seems a little early to pull the plug. He did have a few very good offensive games about a week ago, but if they don't want to commit to this experiment, it's really best for all concerned to end it now.

Anyone else think it’s odd Dion Waiters gets more respect from our fans on this board than Melo?

Like I really don’t get that.

This place is weird.

Agreed he isn't good at this and to be honest that was never his game. If they signed him to space the floor and just shoot 3's they are the stupid ones. I was thinking they would be running iso stuff for him as a secondary option where he could take the 4's for other teams on hit a medium range jumper, the occasional 3 and help with rebounding in their second unit.

Anyone else think it’s odd Dion Waiters gets more respect from our fans on this board than Melo?

Like I really don’t get that.

This place is weird.
It's quite strange. I feel like part of it is a Knick fan thing. I feel like there are Knicks fans out there who think Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari with Melo would have lead them back to the promise land. I find that completely insane and would blame multiple people before I blamed Melo but that is just me.

How many games did he actually play with Paul, six or seven? And how many games did he play with both Paul and Harden? Seems a little early to pull the plug. He did have a few very good offensive games about a week ago, but if they don't want to commit to this experiment, it's really best for all concerned to end it now.

I'm with you -- it really doesn't make a lot of sense. If he's injured [or sick, as Morey claimed this morning], then that might account for his poor play over the past week or so. I recognize that he isn't the player he once was, but he went all through training camp with the team--if they thought he didn't fit, or wouldn't help the team, why wouldn't management have cut him then or tried to move him?

He's friends with CP and Harden from USA Basketball -- so why do this two weeks into the season to embarrass the guy and cause a rift with the two star incumbent players that want to keep him?

I'm with you -- it really doesn't make a lot of sense. If he's injured [or sick, as Morey claimed this morning], then that might account for his poor play over the past week or so. I recognize that he isn't the player he once was, but he went all through training camp with the team--if they thought he didn't fit, or wouldn't help the team, why wouldn't management have cut him then or tried to move him?

He's friends with CP and Harden from USA Basketball -- so why do this two weeks into the season to embarrass the guy?
I think it's strange. I almost wonder if they had the report released to test the water. The players don't seem excited about the move especially Chris Paul and the GM even came out and said Melo has done everything they ask so I wonder if they back off it. It's strange for a lazy ball hog who doesn't care about winning to have teammates still wanting him around.

It's quite strange. I feel like part of it is a Knick fan thing. I feel like there are Knicks fans out there who think Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari with Melo would have lead them back to the promise land. I find that completely insane and would blame multiple people before I blamed Melo but that is just me.

There’s 5 players that got us to the FF or won us a title that our board seems to belittle any time they are brought up. It’s really annoying!

Melo
Gmac
Mali
Triche
Lydon

I do not believe they run the Triangle. You may be thinking of Phil Jackson's teams in NY. Except for teams using some principles of it, there are no teams running it, now. D'Antoni runs the 7 seconds or less offense..free running and gunning, but you have got to move. There is no place for a sticky ball in it.

There’s 5 players that got us to the FF or won us a title that our board seems to belittle any time they are brought up. It’s really annoying!

Melo
Gmac
Mali
Triche
Lydon
I agree it's strange. Gmac is mostly about his ability to recruit and not about him as a player though. Does Lydon get criticized a lot? Mali people would have loved to come back. I guess they feel the same way about Lydon but I don't know how you could expect that with the way that season went and the fact everyone including Boeheim said he would leave all year. Triche is someone I thought was unfairly targeted based on the fact he never improved to be a player he was never going to be. When he got to college he was already physically ready to play and that probably worked against him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom