Will Judah run it back again? (again) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Will Judah run it back again? (again)

Moten or Luke Jackson?
Luke Jackson had the greatest steal in SU BBall history. He did his job. He could have hugged the ball on the floor and just waited for Arkansas to foul him, or just ran out the clock. Moten panicked and called the TO we didn’t have. Totally unnecessary. We had the ball, less than :05 on the clock, and the game won. Arkansas was toast.

Moten blew two big games that year. Providence in the BE Tourney and the Arkansas games. Both boneheaded plays that were so uncharacteristic of him. Still, he’ll always be one of my all time favorite SU players.

Luke Jackson had the greatest steal in SU BBall history. He did his job. He could have hugged the ball on the floor and just waited for Arkansas to foul him, or just ran out the clock. Moten panicked and called the TO we didn’t have. Totally unnecessary. We had the ball, less than :05 on the clock, and the game won. Arkansas was toast.

Moten blew two big games that year. Providence in the BE Tourney and the Arkansas games. Both boneheaded plays that were so uncharacteristic of him. Still, he’ll always be one of my all time favorite SU players.
He also fouled a Pitt 3 pt shooter with us up 4 late. We won that game so it is forgotten

He’s a 77% FT shooter. While not elite, it’s very far from the realm of bad.
If getting to the foul line is a major element of your game, and for him it is, then you better shoot 90 from the stripe. He will not snbiff the league if his overall play does not improve.

I can’t understand why the Board is so tough on Judah. He’s the most talented player we’ve had in a while and he’s the reason we’re not in the pits this year. Also a good kid. I understand he needs to work on things for NBA and I have no problem with that discussion, but he gets nearly more complaints than our do-nothing forwards which is wild to me.
True, Taylor and Williams or both much bigger disappointments. The difference is most people believe Judah could be much better than he is now. The forwards not so much.

The only guy that gets more calls in all of college basketball is Zach Edey.

I trim your post down and ignore the other context because the key point you think you're making is ignoring all sorts of other context.

Judah is a bizarrely efficient scorer for a guard.

It's clear we have fans that just don't like his game. That's fine. But don't make up that the reason why is because it's inefficient.
The kid is a jump shot away from a 1st round pick. He's a fing Dog. Love the kid.

The only guy that gets more calls in all of college basketball is Zach Edey.

I trim your post down and ignore the other context because the key point you think you're making is ignoring all sorts of other context.

It's clear we have fans that just don't like his game. That's fine. But don't make up that the reason why is because it's inefficient.
What metric are you using for efficient?

You took one part of my post and you decided which point I thought was key. It was only key to you.

I said that's not the case when he doesn't get the calls.

There are a few easily improved areas of his game that he could easily improve. He often takes 7 to 8 seconds to bring the ball to mid court(shades of Frank), he hesitates to pass until he's cut off which is often late in the shot clock, he very seldom attempts a three(I wish he would take more), when he doesn't get the call he lapses on D. We need every player on this team at different times and I expect more from Judah than most of the other players since I think he could do so much more with his natural talent. It's often frustrating to watch and causes my f bomb rate to increase during games.

As for his player efficiency rating(not scoring efficiency) , he's ranked 98 in the ACC since the '02-03 season.

I'm done, enjoy the game tonight and go Orange.

I'll probably get cooked by some for this, but I expected more out of Judah this year.

I just don’t understand how he went through the draft process and doesn’t appear to have worked on any of the items I imagine they told him he needed improvement on to be a complete point guard.

A few in this thread ask why Judah gets crap from fans. Those two posts are why many of us are a bit hard on him at times. Granted, he is a special talent and I for one, would be absolutely thrilled if he were to come back for another year. That said, I am disappointed this year in that he really hasn't improved much. I was expecting more.

Looking at his stats, his 2pt shooting is down a bit (45.2% versus 46.9% last year), his 3 pt shooting is up a little, but lately hasn't been trending well (33.3% versus 30.3% last year). He's averaging a couple more points a game and rebounding about one more a game. However, he's turning the ball over more this year and assists are the same. Overall, I'd say he's pretty much the same player as last year, which is still really good, but I was hoping for improvement.

Last edited:
A few in this thread ask why Judah gets crap from fans. Those two posts are why many of us are a bit hard on him at times. Granted, he is a special talent and I for one, would be absolutely thrilled if he were to come back for another year. That said, I am disappointed this year in that he really hasn't improved much. I was expecting more.

Looking at his stats, his 2pt shooting is down a bit (45.2% versus 44.3% last year), his 3 pt shooting is up a little, but lately hasn't been trending well (33.3% versus 30.3% last year). He's averaging a couple more points a game and rebounding about one more a game. However, he's turning the ball over more this year and assists are the same. Overall, I'd say he's pretty much the same player as last year, which is still really good, but I was hoping for improvement.
He’s been better defensively across almost every defense metric.

I know…its only half the game.. should count for something though

Fair point. I was just focusing on the offensive side of the ball because the two things he was told that he needed to improve was 3pt shooting and being more of a playmaker.

You took one part of my post and you decided which point I thought was key. It was only key to you.

I said that's not the case when he doesn't get the calls.

There are a few easily improved areas of his game that he could easily improve. He often takes 7 to 8 seconds to bring the ball to mid court(shades of Frank), he hesitates to pass until he's cut off which is often late in the shot clock, he very seldom attempts a three(I wish he would take more), when he doesn't get the call he lapses on D. We need every player on this team at different times and I expect more from Judah than most of the other players since I think he could do so much more with his natural talent. It's often frustrating to watch and causes my f bomb rate to increase during games.

As for his player efficiency rating(not scoring efficiency) , he's ranked 98 in the ACC since the '02-03 season.

I'm done, enjoy the game tonight and go Orange.

so he has the 98th best PER for a season (so far) in the last 20 years of seasons of every player in the acc? That seems pretty good (if you value PER)

so he has the 98th best PER for a season (so far) in the last 20 years of seasons of every player in the acc? That seems pretty good (if you value PER)

Correct. It's frustrating because he's so talented yet there are some easily corrected(?) areas where he could make the team better.

I have two issues with Judah and it’s not on the offensive end. He doesn’t push the ball and his defense and defensive transition can be horrible at times.

Looking at his stats, his 2pt shooting is down a bit (45.2% versus 46.9% last year), his 3 pt shooting is up a little, but lately hasn't been trending well (33.3% versus 30.3% last year). He's averaging a couple more points a game and rebounding about one more a game. However, he's turning the ball over more this year and assists are the same. Overall, I'd say he's pretty much the same player as last year, which is still really good, but I was hoping for improvement.
Now do his cast. Syracuse lost the Starling for Girard swap for now. Could change by the time JJ is done but won’t for Judah most likely. Brown and Copeland got better the other guys in his class not really. Went from All ACC C to no center.

Net loss of you ask me but this years teams better than last mostly bc of him.

Perfect player no deserving of more appreciation from our fans yes. Red needs to have JJ Judah and Q on the floor together 30 mins per night.

What metric are you using for efficient?

your-mom-mother.gif

If getting to the foul line is a major element of your game, and for him it is, then you better shoot 90 from the stripe. He will not snbiff the league if his overall play does not improve.
No. No. This is just fantasyland stuff.

Let's just reset something really quick, because it seems like a lot of people are missing some really obvious, basic things about how basketball works that Dean Smith figured out a long time - Dean Smith Was Pioneer in Use of Analytics (Published 2015)

The free throw is the best, most efficient shot in basketball. It cannot be defended, and no time elapses. All free throw attempts are good. Missed free throws are inconsequential. So long as a player's free throw shooting percentage is a number greater than zero, free throw attempts are the best shot an offense can generate.

You know who sucked at free throws? Arinze Onuaku.

But you know who we should have tried getting to the free throw line more? Arinze Onuaku.

And I know some of you are going to think it's some amazing gotcha to ask "wellwaddaboutfoulingattheendofgamesandtheotherteamshootsfreethrows" and before I answer and explain something else really obvious and basic about basketball, I'd like to remind everyone of this image, for absolutely no reason at all:

d3ca394c-ea5b-42fc-97da-44668aa5993a-Vince_Carter_poster.JPG

Moving on, in basketball, time is a finite resource, that has an increasing value to the losing team, and they willingly trade giving the opponent opportunities for efficient offense to preserve time for them to attempt to score more points per possession.

Thanks for the reminder..

Is that compared to last year? I’d be curious how they do that considering different styles of defense were used.

Is that compared to last year? I’d be curious how they do that considering different styles of defense were used.
Yep. You can look at stuff like Rebounding percentage on top of the defensive metrics as well. After this game, have to think it will go down. But overall I think he’s improved once he stopped to the lame fake pressure. It’s not good. But it’s is better imo. Numbers reflect that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom