Will Judah run it back again? (again) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Will Judah run it back again? (again)

I agree with all points. He has flashy moves but as you posted, the inefficient scoring and lack of passing or pushing the ball drives a lot of us nuts. His major talent depends on the calls he gets on any given night. I for one am ready to see how we play as a team without his iso ball offense and sporadic defense.
Cuse has been running iso ball offense since Tyus battle though

But we have something different this year that many of us thought (hoped) would change that.
Right but these guys running the show have been around forever and now that it’s 100% there’s we still don’t really have an offensive identity. Color me extremely doubtful that one ball hungry point guard taking off for the NBA next year fixes that

Judah seems like the perfect example of a Boeheim style player who doesn't fit whatever we're trying to do now. Feels like he'd be a lot better (aka less bad defensively) in a zone, and is mostly just getting steals by cheating and thus getting beat too much. He needs the ball in his hands offensively, which is not ideal if we're actually running an offense but perfect for the iso ball we're hopefully transitioning away from.

The problem is we're lacking the complement we would need to really let him shine - a lights out 3 point shooter. Otherwise there's the offensive possession where Judah does everything, the one where we miss a decent look at 3, or the one where we run offense which doesn't do much for Judah.

Unfortunately it's kind of a wrong place wrong time situation imo. I can imagine pairing Judah up with Buddy and Girard on that team that made a run, or putting him on the Final Four team when Gbinije had to run the point with Malachi and Lydon being dangerous from the outside, and he would have been a key piece.

We either needed Bell and JT to knock down their share of open looks to make the offense run effectively through Judah, or to be a lot better defensively than we are. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out.

Like I said its not too bad. RJ Davis the best guard in the league is shooting 44%.
Davis is a two guard. He’s attempted 355 shots, and 158 of those are 3-pointers. He’s shooting 41% from three. Mintz has attempted 274 shots, 59 from three. He’s shooting almost 34% from three. Davis has attempted almost 100 less free throws compared to Judah.

Davis is a two guard. He’s attempted 355 shots, and 158 of those are 3-pointers. He’s shooting 41% from three. Mintz has attempted 274 shots, 59 from three. He’s shooting almost 34% from three. Davis has attempted almost 100 less free throws compared to Judah.

Apparently Davis doesn't know how to throw his body at defenders...

Exactly. Comparing their almost similar percentage is ludicrous. RJ routinely pulls up on fast breaks from 25’ out and is pure! If Judah attempted the amount of shots and from where he shoot’s from, he would be shooting at about 27% for the year. Maybe

The kid is a jump shot away from a 1st round pick. He's a fing Dog. Love the kid.
He does lack a jump shot and any semblance of guarding anyone. He’s a close second behind Bell as the worst defender on this team. Not that he can’t, he won’t. I’m not sure what’s worse.

No. No. This is just fantasyland stuff.

Let's just reset something really quick, because it seems like a lot of people are missing some really obvious, basic things about how basketball works that Dean Smith figured out a long time - Dean Smith Was Pioneer in Use of Analytics (Published 2015)

The free throw is the best, most efficient shot in basketball. It cannot be defended, and no time elapses. All free throw attempts are good. Missed free throws are inconsequential. So long as a player's free throw shooting percentage is a number greater than zero, free throw attempts are the best shot an offense can generate.

You know who sucked at free throws? Arinze Onuaku.

But you know who we should have tried getting to the free throw line more? Arinze Onuaku.

And I know some of you are going to think it's some amazing gotcha to ask "wellwaddaboutfoulingattheendofgamesandtheotherteamshootsfreethrows" and before I answer and explain something else really obvious and basic about basketball, I'd like to remind everyone of this image, for absolutely no reason at all:

d3ca394c-ea5b-42fc-97da-44668aa5993a-Vince_Carter_poster.JPG

Moving on, in basketball, time is a finite resource, that has an increasing value to the losing team, and they willingly trade giving the opponent opportunities for efficient offense to preserve time for them to attempt to score more points per possession.
It is correct that it is the easiest shot in basketball, it is not correct that you should try to get shots that are not going to be made. Not making your foul shots is no different than a turnover. You lose that possesion without scoring. The advantage of getting fouled is only realised if the foul shots are actually made.

It is correct that it is the easiest shot in basketball, it is not correct that you should try to get shots that are not going to be made. Not making your foul shots is no different than a turnover. You lose that possesion without scoring. The advantage of getting fouled is only realised if the foul shots are actually made.
You're still overthinking this.

Because no time elapses, they're free points. If a guy shoots 1% on his free throws, it's still a great shot.

Nobody shoots 1% tho.

And you're thinking about a turnover incorrectly too, but no need to get into that.

No. No. This is just fantasyland stuff.

Let's just reset something really quick, because it seems like a lot of people are missing some really obvious, basic things about how basketball works that Dean Smith figured out a long time - Dean Smith Was Pioneer in Use of Analytics (Published 2015)

The free throw is the best, most efficient shot in basketball. It cannot be defended, and no time elapses. All free throw attempts are good. Missed free throws are inconsequential. So long as a player's free throw shooting percentage is a number greater than zero, free throw attempts are the best shot an offense can generate.

You know who sucked at free throws? Arinze Onuaku.

But you know who we should have tried getting to the free throw line more? Arinze Onuaku.

And I know some of you are going to think it's some amazing gotcha to ask "wellwaddaboutfoulingattheendofgamesandtheotherteamshootsfreethrows" and before I answer and explain something else really obvious and basic about basketball, I'd like to remind everyone of this image, for absolutely no reason at all:

d3ca394c-ea5b-42fc-97da-44668aa5993a-Vince_Carter_poster.JPG

Moving on, in basketball, time is a finite resource, that has an increasing value to the losing team, and they willingly trade giving the opponent opportunities for efficient offense to preserve time for them to attempt to score more points per possession.
Open shots didn't draw fouls.

I like open shots

There are some good teams here but not that many

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204-111050.png
    Screenshot_20240204-111050.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 32
To bad Jeese edwards left
From before mentioned accounts, not sure if 100% accurate, but Jesse left over a difference of $400,000 in pay. If we think he equated to 3 additional wins, would the payday for the university if we made the Big Dance as opposed to missing the big dance worth $4000,000 in hard cash and/or university/recruiting spotlight? If so, we made a huge mistake.

You're still overthinking this.

Because no time elapses, they're free points. If a guy shoots 1% on his free throws, it's still a great shot.

Nobody shoots 1% tho.

And you're thinking about a turnover incorrectly too, but no need to get into that.
You think the only problem with missing shots is the time elapsed?

You should try overthinking relative to whatever is going on in your head

Moten blew two big games that year. Providence in the BE Tourney and the Arkansas games. Both boneheaded plays that were so uncharacteristic of him. Still, he’ll always be one of my all time favorite SU players.
I remember JB was literally on his hands and knees begging him to move before the ref called 5 seconds.

-38 yesterday.
If Syracuse lost by 10, that’d be a problem. But they lost by 29. All the +\- tells me is Judah missed a couple possessions with baskets. Doesn’t highlight anything larger than that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom