Mess at Baylor continues to smell | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Mess at Baylor continues to smell

After unsuccessful calls to Baylor athletics, the professor and student decided to call police, saying they feared for their safety, according to the affidavit.

Um, call the police first, I think Baylor Athletics has already proven you should NEVER go to them first. I certainly am glad the professor helped the poor woman out, but he should have known better.

Meanwhile at the University of Tennessee...

The change also follows other departures in administration and athletics.

Cheek announced in June that he will return to the faculty after a successor is selected likely in time for spring 2017. And four members of the chancellor's cabinet have also announced departures this year.

Former Provost Susan Martin and former Vice Chancellor for Communications Margie Nichols announced their retirements earlier this year.

Former Vice Chancellor for Diversity Rickey Hall announced in May he was leaving for the University of Washington as a new state law pulled funding from his office for one year. And Scott Rabenold, vice chancellor for development and alumni affairs, announced this summer that he is leaving for the University of Texas at Austin.

Larry Arrington, chancellor of the UT Institute of Agriculture, based in Knoxville, also announced earlier this month that he'll retire in September.

UT President Joe DiPietro said in the release that he appreciates Hart's "willingness to work with us as we recruit a new Chancellor and a new athletics director."

In athletics, Knoxville police announced Wednesday that Officer Sam Brown, liaison to the UT football team for nearly 20 years was reassigned. And last week, UT director of football operations Chris Spognardi was placed on paid administrative leave for a "personnel matter." According to a source with knowledge of the situation but who could not discuss the investigation publicly, Spognardi was relieved of his duties after a financial audit found irregularities related to his job.

Earlier this month, Hart, 67, told the Associated Press that he had no interest in stepping down soon, but did acknowledge that Cheek's plans to step down indicate change is coming.

In July, the university announced a $2.48 million settlement to end the federal Title IX lawsuit that claimed the university had a "hostile sexual environment" and violated laws in its handing of sexual violence cases, especially those involving student athletes.

Hart, along with Cheek and DiPietro, was repeatedly criticized in court documents filed by the lawyer for the eight unidentified women in that suit. Seven of those women made claims against student athletes, mostly football players.

The settlement payment is to be paid half by the campus and half by the athletic department. As of July 6, the bill from Nashville-based Neal & Harwell to represent UT was more than $500,000.

This scumbag should have his dogs taken away. Could only watch the first few moments of this video, Baylor is a mess and I can't believe how no one at Baylor can see it...

NC Gov. Perdue Signs Susie’s Law | Animal Law Coalition

There is a well-established link between animal abuse and domestic violence and other violent crimes. A June 13, 2010 New York Times article illustrates this with a look at a number of studies showing animal abuse is often an indicator of future violence to humans.

In one study 71% of women in a battered women’s shelter reported their abuser either abused a household pet or threatened to abuse a pet. (Ascione, 1998)

In another study 88% of child abusers also abused the animals in the home. (Ascione)

In a study by Dr. Jacquelyn Campbell, Public Health Department, the Johns Hopkins University from 1994 to 2000 in eleven USA metropolitan cities, pet abuse was one of the four significant predictors for determining who was at highest risk for becoming a batterer. Many abused spouses delay leaving out of fear for their pets’ safety and because they have nowhere to take them.

70% of animal abusers were found in one 20 year study to have then committed other crimes, and 44% went on to harm people. (Arluke, A. & Luke, C. 1997).

In another study 99% of animal abusers had convictions for other crimes. (Clarke, J. P. 2002). In that same study it was found 100% of people who committed sexual homicide had abused animals. (Clarke, J. P. 2002). That study also revealed 61.5% of animal abusers had assaulted a human as well. (Clarke, J. P. 2002).

63.3% of inmates in a prison study who were in for violent crimes admitted to abusing animals. This doesn’t include the ones who didn’t admit it. (Schiff Louw Ascione, 1999)

Police have found animal abuse is a better predictor of whether someone will commit sexual assault than previous convictions for murder or arson. (Clarke, J. P. 2002).

This scumbag should have his dogs taken away. Could only watch the first few moments of this video, Baylor is a mess and I can't believe how no one at Baylor can see it...

I read the article but I can't watch the video, I will get too upset. So nice that Grobe is continuing the rationalizing tradition of Baylor coaches and administrators. Yeah, Grobe, your player "spanked" the dog, but "he loves the dog". Umm, he didn't spank the dog(which is not ok either to be clear) , he hit him with a belt 8 times and he kicked him. As was posted above, this kind of behavior often leads to more violent acts. A coward beating an animal then becomes a coward beating a woman etc etc. But, don't worry, he will get suspended for the first half of the Northwestern State game.

I read the article but I can't watch the video, I will get too upset. So nice that Grobe is continuing the rationalizing tradition of Baylor coaches and administrators. Yeah, Grobe, your player "spanked" the dog, but "he loves the dog". Umm, he didn't spank the dog(which is not ok either to be clear) , he hit him with a belt 8 times and he kicked him. As was posted above, this kind of behavior often leads to more violent acts. A coward beating an animal then becomes a coward beating a woman etc etc. But, don't worry, he will get suspended for the first half of the Northwestern State game.
Another meathead coach

Don't want to hijack, but I don't think any college student (save for people who need service animals) ought to have a dog.

This has been a terrible trend in the last decade. College undergrads don't have the time or inclination to properly care for dogs.

Don't want to hijack, but I don't think any college student (save for people who need service animals) ought to have a dog.

This has been a terrible trend in the last decade. College undergrads don't have the time or inclination to properly care for dogs.
I can't say I agree with that at all. Many college students that don't party (yes, they exist) have more time at home that adults with full time jobs. It's not the responsible thing for everyone to do, but I know plenty that do it well.

I get both points on the issue of college kids having a dog. Student athletes have very little time to dedicate to proper care of a pet. However, if a "dorm" or group cared for a pet, that may be acceptable as everyone chips in - kind of like a family (don't tell Rutgers).

As to individual students that aren't committed to extensive time requirements (i.e. not working a job, not on a scholarship requiring extra duty or travel, etc. Marching band - can anyone say "Tuba"?), keeping a pet can be relaxing, teaching care for others, time management, balancing commitments, etc.

Regardless, we all agree that beating a pet is wrong. There is no excuse in this instance, and rarely is there ever an excuse.