Mets | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mets

That's a more nuanced and accurate take than I gave.

After this weekend, I just want to call the guy derogatory names.
As a fan, I can imagine how frustrating it is. And, we have never experienced anything like this before. Athletes used to be tough and win at all costs, but now it is all about the numbers. I think all baseball players need to take a pay cut and all managers have to lose the stat sheet and go with their instincts.

Of course not, nobody wants him to get hurt. I can just empathize with him, if his agent is in his ear saying that the doctor has found that beyond X amount of innings is putting his future at risk. I can see an athlete taking the advice of his paid representation. The thing is, they are trying to protect his future, but at the same time, taking this course of action may scare off many of the teams that would have offered him a huge contract, questioning his competitiveness.

I think this is exactly what happened. Boras has been able to convince Harvey he's at significant risk to another injury after 180 IP or whatever the number is. And who knows? Maybe he's right. Or he's not. No one has any idea.

My take on what happened: There was a discussion around the time of the surgery, or maybe this spring, where Andrews said something like "you should try and stay close to the IP total you had in your last healthy season". Boras did some research, and has been pushing Harvey in the direction of making it a hard cap at 180.

The TV crew mentioned Murphy possibly being a little under appreciated. I agree. He's a tough out. A smart hitter. And a sometimes multi dimensional defensive liability.

I like him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom