Mike Brey to retire | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Brey to retire

JJ and Clingan should’ve came here in the first place.

Next year:

Judah
JJ
Justin
Maliq B
Clingan

Copeland
Bell
JBA
Hima

Coached by Pitino, with Hop as the rainmaker.

27+ wins, elite 8 minimum.
Lol I love your thinking!!

Clingan isn’t leaving UConn. Kid went to Bristol Central in CT.

The same reason why we think it would make sense for JJ to come here (hometown), is the reason Clingan would stay.

Also Sanogo is gone next year anyway

Ummm. He’s been a head coach for 23 years. I don’t think social security is a concern.
Didn’t he meet Starling in a great looking Corvette or something? I don’t think it’s money that is an issue. Brey though seems like a decent person. Losing all his 6 grad students when this was supposed to be a good year has to be a killer. This is a coach who believed in redshirting his freshman - tough to do in this NIL transfer portal era.

Clingan isn’t leaving UConn. Kid went to Bristol Central in CT.

The same reason why we think it would make sense for JJ to come here (hometown), is the reason Clingan would stay.

Also Sanogo is gone next year anyway
I think Sanogo is only a junior.

Pat Kelsey is going to replace Brey and I am going to have so much fun rooting against that phony clown

Retiring at 63? What is he, crazy? He can't even collect social security yet. And doesn't he know 65 is the new 50?
JB be like ...

freddie mercury GIF

The announcement from the AD sounds more like Brey is being pushed out. Whenever they say we mutually decided it's time usually means it wasn't mutual and the organization wants a change.

Unquestionably. But given the importance he's had to their program, they let him save face and retire versus taking action.

Win-win, relatively speaking

He has been pretty up and down in the last 5 or so years, yo-yoing between 20 win seasons and under .500. Kind of sad to see him go because the old guard I grew up with is just about gone, but it’s probably time. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on ACCN come next season

Pat Kelsey is going to replace Brey and I am going to have so much fun rooting against that phony clown
I feel like a few years ago he acted like a goof and didn't shake JAB's hand after a game or something along those lines. Screw that dude

This is not good for us - they have a better shot of upgrading their coach when replacing Brey. Sadly we need as few good coaches in this league as possible.

Starling is not going to transfer here without another perimeter player leaving or causing another perimeter player to leave. Probably Bell or Taylor.

This is not good for us - they have a better shot of upgrading their coach when replacing Brey. Sadly we need as few good coaches in this league as possible.
Why? We would rank ahead of ND in basketball. Not particularly worried about that and I think the candidate pool may not be that similar. They are in the middle of nowhere Indiana and there's a good chance any coach will have midwest roots. Different pool than us most likely.

Last edited:
Why? We would rank ahead of ND in basketball. Not particularly worried about that.
Not sure I follow you, but in my opinion we should be worried that ND will get an upgrade from Mike Brey and improve their program, and be beating us.

I see your point, but the ACC needs great coaches. Now, it's pretty average, except for Bennett, since K and Roy retired. I wouldn't call guys like Hamilton and Larranaga great and their time is limited. I like Keatts but he hasn't done much. Nothing will ever compare to the Big East, but there were a lot of legends. Now, every opening (Texas, ND) you see the same names being thrown out. It's a limited pool of quality. Congrats on ND for being proactive and getting ahead of the curve.

Not sure I follow you, but in my opinion we should be worried that ND will get an upgrade from Mike Brey and improve their program, and be beating us.
Thought you meant in terms of who they hire vs who we do. Assuming JB retires at the end of this season (big if), I think the pool of candidates would have minimal overlap. And as I can't imagine JB staying more than another year or two. My concern is if it is two - then you could have Kentucky, maybe UNC, Duke opening depending on how their situations go. Ideally as few top jobs open up the same season as possible, giving us the chance to be the prettiest girl at the party... let's see.

I see your point, but the ACC needs great coaches. Now, it's pretty average, except for Bennett, since K and Roy retired. I wouldn't call guys like Hamilton and Larranaga great and their time is limited. I like Keatts but he hasn't done much. Nothing will ever compare to the Big East, but there were a lot of legends. Now, every opening (Texas, ND) you see the same names being thrown out. It's a limited pool of quality. Congrats on ND for being proactive and getting ahead of the curve.
Good chance UT sticks with the interim coach. He is doing well so far. If they have a solid tourney run, will be difficult to do otherwise.

Why would we be rooting for the ACC to get actively worse? That makes zero sense. Kids don’t want to play in a crap league and people don’t want to coach in a crap league.

Check out his presser after the FSU loss earlier this week.

Credit to Mark Packer and the ACCN for showing this after Mike resigned.

Go to about the 2:10 mark and start watching from there. He is not right; the losing has destroyed him. Pretty sad.

Why would we be rooting for the ACC to get actively worse? That makes zero sense. Kids don’t want to play in a crap league and people don’t want to coach in a crap league.
Its a double edge sword

If the league is good, its harder for SU to get back to winning the league

If its on the decline we might be able to get to the top of the standings if things align correctly but if its seen as second tier or boring to recruits, harder to get top players to come to SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom