Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

So teams like Pittsburgh?

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Funny time to be puffing our chests out like we’re better than anyone. Only took one win where we had an unconscious half.
You’re overreacting. Neither team is good and neither coach is going to turn SU around.

You’re overreacting. Neither team is good and neither coach is going to turn SU around.
Agreed. I like hop for what he's done for Syracuse and for the quality human being he is but the infatuation with him as our future head coach is very confusing. If we can't do better then a coach with a below .500 winning percentage then this program is in a lot of trouble. We need better, A LOT better if we expect to improve our program.

Im 50/50 with Hop. On one hand I believe he can bring us back with his north east connections when it comes to recruiting. His coaching chops, I’m kind of 50/50 there too, on one hand he was able to take a team that lost the number one pick that won single digit games to a 20+ win season the year after. I have no problem with the zone, but would like it used situationally which Hop did his first couple of years, I don’t know why it’s an all or nothing defense.

Agreed. I like hop for what he's done for Syracuse and for the quality human being he is but the infatuation with him as our future head coach is very confusing. If we can't do better then a coach with a below .500 winning percentage then this program is in a lot of trouble. We need better, A LOT better if we expect to improve our program.
Hopkins winning percentage is above 500. He is brought up because he had some initial success and was a very good recruiter he was here.

It looks like Hop has won five of last six games and six of eight. 11-8 and 6-3. Looks like he’s righting the ship a little.
I noticed. He’s winning the games against the lower half of the conference, which is definitely an improvement over last season. It may be something to build off if they can also pull off an upset or two. Definitely rooting for him to turn things around there.

Im 50/50 with Hop. On one hand I believe he can bring us back with his north east connections when it comes to recruiting. His coaching chops, I’m kind of 50/50 there too, on one hand he was able to take a team that lost the number one pick that won single digit games to a 20+ win season the year after. I have no problem with the zone, but would like it used situationally which Hop did his first couple of years, I don’t know why it’s an all or nothing defense.
I agree he would recruit well. Just don’t think he has what it takes to be a head coach at a big time program.

His initial success at Washington wasn’t a surprise to me, given how that conference has struggled with our zone over the years. Between his recruiting connections drying up and the league figuring out the zone, the more recent slide doesn’t surprise me either.

Anyway, I don’t think talent is enough to get the job done in the ACC.

Hopkins winning percentage is above 500. He is brought up because he had some initial success and was a very good recruiter he was here.
You are correct, the site I looked at was not accurate. His record to date is 79-68, 40-42 in conference. I wanted to be fair and not put out incorrect data. That said, I just feel we can do better, or at least take a better shot with a new HC. I personally feel we need to look outside the program and bring in some new blood. That's just my opinion, which obviously counts for very little in this world lol.

You are correct, the site I looked at was not accurate. His record to date is 79-68, 40-42 in conference. I wanted to be fair and not put out incorrect data. That said, I just feel we can do better, or at least take a better shot with a new HC. I personally feel we need to look outside the program and bring in some new blood. That's just my opinion, which obviously counts for very little in this world lol.

I've said this 1,444 times, so what's one more (other than ruining the symmetry)

While I do expect guys like Hop, Red, GMac to be ON the list, I do NOT expect them to BE THE LIST.

If Wildhack doesn't do a full national search, and find ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES, and not just those who happen to be former Cuse players, then he is committing AD malfeasance.

And frankly, it's really more of a courtesy to those guys, since at this point it really seems like we could use a new, fresh perspective.

This isn't Dook or UNC, who were looking to maintain their current success.
For them, a continuity hire made all the sense in the world.

For us?
Do we really want another X number of years of what we've had for the past bunch of years??
Not ranked, irrelevant nationally, hoping to squeak onto the bubble, so we can maybe go on an unexpected run?
And more sneaky good recruiting classes?

This will literally be his career-defining moment.
He'd be an idiot to artificially constrain his pool of candidates to just alumni.
And I'm pretty sure he's not an idiot.

Whatever decision JW makes is the best decision. I trust him. I trusted him with the football situation and I trusted him with the lax situation. When it comes to coaching hires and/or retention, he’s done nothing that shows he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’ll trust him here too.

I've said this 1,444 times, so what's one more (other than ruining the symmetry)

While I do expect guys like Hop, Red, GMac to be ON the list, I do NOT expect them to BE THE LIST.

If Wildhack doesn't do a full national search, and find ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES, and not just those who happen to be former Cuse players, then he is committing AD malfeasance.

And frankly, it's really more of a courtesy to those guys, since at this point it really seems like we could use a new, fresh perspective.

This isn't Dook or UNC, who were looking to maintain their current success.
For them, a continuity hire made all the sense in the world.

For us?
Do we really want another X number of years of what we've had for the past bunch of years??
Not ranked, irrelevant nationally, hoping to squeak onto the bubble, so we can maybe go on an unexpected run?
And more sneaky good recruiting classes?

This will literally be his career-defining moment.
He'd be an idiot to artificially constrain his pool of candidates to just alumni.
And I'm pretty sure he's not an idiot.

Does JB have full control over his exit? I've been told by respected posters that he does. Even if he does, what is JB's role post-retirement?

If JB has full control over his retirement and is a large presence and heavy-handed even after he leaves, JW cannot make the best possible choice.

I agree that in a proper search, it would be both internal and external candidates and we'd go with the best person.

But until I know that JB doesn't have full control over his exit or what he plans to do w/r/t the program post-retirement, I'm not sure how we can get a proper HC search.

Does JB have full control over his exit? I've been told by respected posters that he does. Even if he does, what is JB's role post-retirement?

If JB has full control over his retirement and is a large presence and heavy-handed even after he leaves, JW cannot make the best possible choice.

I agree that in a proper search, it would be both internal and external candidates and we'd go with the best person.

But until I know that JB doesn't have full control over his exit or what he plans to do w/r/t the program post-retirement, I'm not sure how we can get a proper HC search.
Hopefully JB moves to a warm weather climate where he can golf every day. If he stays in Syracuse it will be rough on whoever the new coach is.

He does NOT.

Did something change in the last week or was the previous information I was told no correct?

The previous information was based upon assumptions, and JB having what was perceived as full autonomy.
As for the last week, we've seen a tangible shift in that level of autonomy. But big picture, JB is not going to have full control over how things unfold at this point. There was a time when he might have, but the program's decline playing out on the court over a multi-year span has eroded his freedom to choose his own adventure with no restrictions.

The previous information was based upon assumptions, and JB having what was perceived as full autonomy.
As for the last week, we've seen a tangible shift in that level of autonomy. But big picture, JB is not going to have full control over how things unfold at this point. There was a time when he might have, but the program's decline playing out on the court over a multi-year span has eroded his freedom to choose his own adventure with no restrictions.

Thanks for the info.

This is great to hear.

This is good. He definitely shifted tones after we lost to Pittsburgh lasf week.

So the loss to PITT was the draw the line in the sand moment for the administration to begin taking the program back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom